Moron Motorists #3

arkle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:04 pm

il padrone wrote:indiscretions ?? [end pedant]

I really do not see how 2.3 kmh over the limit for 7 seconds... on a bicycle, is a serious indiscretion :|
It isn't a serious indiscretion and I didn't say it was. I said we shouldn't make light of our breaking the law, however trivial, whilst condemning (thanks human) those who do. I think it's hypocritical.

arkle
Last edited by arkle on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 pm

arkle wrote:I said we shouldn't make light of our breaking the law, however trivial, whilst condemning those who do. I think it's hypocritical.
(spelling correction?)

I do agree. That is why I don't condemn those who break laws in a trivial manner.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 pm

il padrone wrote:indiscretions ?? [end pedant]

I really do not see how 2.3 kmh over the limit for 7 seconds... on a bicycle, is a serious indiscretion :|
Nope, not letting yer say that...
Last edited by Mulger bill on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: vaguely Godwinian reference completely removed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 pm

there's a cop car coming. did you guys dob me in?

CRV

Postby CRV » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 pm

My close shave the other day, note how he swerves to miss the parked car ahead, I wondered if he did that on purpose? :-( IDIOT!!!

Last edited by CRV on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Being a bit of a mongrel i must say.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 pm

And my nominee for the day.

After dodging around one taxi just thirty seconds earlier who decided the bike lane was a great place to park, his comrade in arms does this...

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:03 am

Cowcorner wrote:And my nominee for the day.

After dodging around one taxi just thirty seconds earlier who decided the bike lane was a great place to park, his comrade in arms does this...

Yet it could be easily argued by the police or anybody who wanted to that the bike had to give way to the taxi. The cyclist clearly crossed give-way line markings.

I'm not blaming the cyclist. I'm blaming those who create infrastructure that leads to conflicts!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:00 am

Nup. Taxi changed lanes - already in the right lane then decided to go to the left. Any vehicle changing lanes or line of traffic must indicate and give way. The cyclist rode into the (crap) lane merge, giving way to vehicles alongside (none there).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:06 am

^ that swanston st?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Being a bit of a mongrel i must say.
+1. Looks like a punishment pass to me.

Tapatalk sucks lemons

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:50 am

jasonc wrote:^ that swanston st?
End of La Trobe St - approaching Spencer heading towards Docklands.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:57 pm

il padrone wrote:Nup. Taxi changed lanes - already in the right lane then decided to go to the left. Any vehicle changing lanes or line of traffic must indicate and give way. The cyclist rode into the (crap) lane merge, giving way to vehicles alongside (none there).
Going to have to disagree there, yes the taxi should have indicated (duh), but the merging traffic has to give way to ALL traffic in the continuing road. (not sure of the exact wording of the law) (and if you pause the video the taxi has started the lane change before the bike crosses the merge point, yes a technicality, and this doesn't make the taxi driving "good" in any way)
I've seen a video of that same intersection where a cyclists goes over the dotted line without slowing much and got annoyed that the car on the main road changed lanes to the left just slightly before he got to the dotted line.

Similar situation - it's a bit annoying when you're in a car right hand lane, indicate to change to the left and a car up ahead decides to pull out of a side street because the left lane is clear and they ignore traffic in the right which might change lanes.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:49 pm

So here's my moron from yesterday morning's commute.

cowled

Postby cowled » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:39 pm

InTheWoods wrote:So here's my moron from yesterday morning's commute.

Ben,

That is very, very close!! I hope that you report him to the police. That guy deserves to lose his licence. The fact that he also told you to get off the road just proves that he deserves to lose his licence. A six month court imposed period of bicycle riding.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 pm

cowled wrote:

Ben,

That is very, very close!! I hope that you report him to the police. That guy deserves to lose his licence. The fact that he also told you to get off the road just proves that he deserves to lose his licence. A six month court imposed period of bicycle riding.
You could argue it either way, and reason would say he should give you space.

However, you crossed a solid white line to enter the lane he was already in. So the rules are on his side.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:08 pm

London Boy wrote:You could argue it either way, and reason would say he should give you space.

However, you crossed a solid white line to enter the lane he was already in. So the rules are on his side.

So when you enter the road, you have to give way to vehicles that aren't even close to you yet? Keep in mind he can see me shoulder checking and that the baz is blocked ahead before I even move.

arkle

Postby arkle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
London Boy wrote:You could argue it either way, and reason would say he should give you space.

So when you enter the road, you have to give way to vehicles that aren't even close to you yet? Keep in mind he can see me shoulder checking and that the baz is blocked ahead before I even move.
The car was plenty far behind to give the driver sufficient time to either slow down and/or move to give space to a bicycle that was legally entering the lane ahead. In this case the car driver is at fault and also guilty of endangering life.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:37 am

That driver had more than enough time to react. I'll bet the driver would have slowed or stopped in time had it been a small child that darted out onto the road. But you're a cyclist, so you deserve a shave every now and then to remind you who owns the roads. :roll:
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

darkelf921

Moron Motorists #3

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:08 am

Thankfully, this one did bit come near me when I was cycling. I got back from a 85km ride to find a truck had totaled my car and the car parked in front if my car. It was a crane truck and the stabilising arm had unhitched and swung out. Only a week before, a cyclist was killed by the same problem.

pic.twitter.com/bF2CNqMq9P
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 am

darkelf921 wrote: Only a week before, a cyclist was killed by the same problem.
http://pic.twitter.com/bF2CNqMq9P
um. scarey!
maybe these vehicles need to be forced off the road til all checked

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am

London Boy wrote:
cowled wrote:

Ben,

You could argue it either way, and reason would say he should give you space.

Firstly, that is not a bike lane, just a road shoulder with bicycle logos saying "ride here if you want to get hit by both car doors and passing traffic".
Personally, I would be out in the middle of the lane to stop exactly that kind of behaviour. If I have to keep left with a lane like that, I ride far enough out to avoid car doors, and thus usually means outside the solid white line. That avoids the issue of any legal technicalities of giving way if I need to claim the whole lane at pinch points..
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Had two yesterday. Worst one was a Melbourne public bus squeeze me into the gutter as i was cycling along Boronia road which is 3 lanes wide, there was no other traffic beside him and he had plenty of room to pass, I pointed this fact out to him but he just smiled like it wasn't a problem.

Second one was at a T intersection, where i was waiting to turn right onto the main road when a tradies ute pulls up beside me and turns right cutting me off and squeezing me onto the other lane. He looked straight at me and laughed.........

On another note, another bus changed lanes to overtake me just after the first incident with the bus, A kind wave was in order. I have found in general Melbourne traffic is much more accommodating than Tasmanian motorists though and i think a close pass here is probably a normal pass in Tassie.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:20 pm

I'd complain about the public bus incident. Use his CCTV cameras against him. All you need is route number, time of day, street and nearest cross street.

I've had good results from this in NSW.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 pm

This awesome compilation of moronity just showed up on my youtube feed: