How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 am

Public holiday in Melbourne tomorrow means pretty much everyone is taking Monday off as well for a 4 day long weekend so it felt a bit strange running along the MYT at Kew at 6:30AM with pretty much no other people around and just the beautiful trees, birds and bushes. The magpies were warbling beautifully (and not swooping either).

I had a couple of cyclists also commuting to work on my ride in (with headwind too) and I decided that I'd push it up the hill and try not to let the guy behind me pass me as well as not let the guy in front of me get away from me. I did it! I couldn't get my breath back after that effort though and sounded like I had a chain saw inside my throat but who cares. :P

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 am

Summernight wrote: I had a couple of cyclists also commuting to work on my ride in (with headwind too) and I decided that I'd push it up the hill and try not to let the guy behind me pass me as well as not let the guy in front of me get away from me. I did it! I couldn't get my breath back after that effort though and sounded like I had a chain saw inside my throat but who cares. :P
well done...next time it will be easier to do...still feel like chucking I am sure but it will be a little easier

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 am

gretaboy wrote:well done...next time it will be easier to do...still feel like chucking I am sure but it will be a little easier
The embarrassing part is it is only a small hill. :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Had a southerly wind all the way home and smashed my previous PB for the ride home, including an awesome 10km time trial down the M2 from North Ryde to Pennant Hills:

My previous best for the M2 was 15:37, but a "normal" time is about 18min.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 pm

queequeg wrote:Had a southerly wind all the way home and smashed my previous PB for the ride home, including an awesome 10km
Ah yes, that southerly that was delaying my arrival home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 am

Haha, public holiday tomorrow eh? Not for those of us who work at universities!

Quiet ride in today with so many less cars, will be even quieter tomorrow, but normal work day for me. Must stop at the TAB for a bit of gambling on the way. Have to have an interest in the race even if I will be at work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:35 pm

The way home yesterday was 100% WIND FREE - which for Perth is as rare as Rocking horse sweat.

Managed to do my best ever time on a lap of a local lake I do on the way home - only to be bettered next time we have no wind.

Oh dear, I've become a lap time obsessed nerd.

Cheers

Time

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 am

The commute today was a chilly one. Before I left home I debated with myself as to whether I should put a few extra layers but decided to shake rattle and roll with the chill. And this I did...I am sure the gopro's recorded the change in voice octave as I went down the hill near my start. The weather was brilliant though, nearly cloud free sky.

Am trying to do intervals on my commutes now in order to build my speed up. Havent worked this hard on a commute in a long time.

All up it was a good uneventful ride.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Out of the topic but I can't help but tell anyone here my observation. The ratio of commuter (by bicycle) vs cars/public transport in Perth compared to Sydney is possibly higher.

If I will will have a job offer here, I might grab it :lol:

No commuting for me this week but I'll try some long ride on Saturday and Sunday.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am

I think I strained a calf muscle yesterday doing gallops on the ponies, but that didn't stop me from going for the morning jog and riding to work.

The ride in was nice - the Hoddle Street light turned green as I was about 100 metres away so I had to sprint to catch it (which I did). Woohoo! I needed a bit of recovery time after that as the quads told me off. No MMs or suicidal peds either and everyone behaved. :D

I'm glad this is a short week. I need to have a day off in the middle of the week all the time!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 am

The roads in Melbourne along my route back were almost eerily quiet on Monday afternoon, on the other hand, the paths were teeming with peds and recreational cyclists.
Day off yesterday due to the Melbourne Cup, but did another shopping trip with the cargo bike.
Cool and dry for the ride into the CBD this morning, shaping up to be a warm day.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am

Up late working on some custom details for my transparent grips, after a week of lacking sleep legs felt dead and harder work with light headwind but got through above average catching some intersections and keeping a leap-frog with faster riders not making the lights/crossings.
I think I have my new ride mascot Trip Fantane to thank for the good vibes :) You'll have to look closely to spot him ;)

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Got some SPD pedals and shoes for my commuter but didn't work the last 5 days. Hop on the bike this morning and flew to work, even with a new shoe that broke 5 km into my ride. Going through the rough stuff in front of the wreckers at Oxley, you would think a MTB shoe would handle it :evil: Only a cheap pair of Fluids, just to see if I can get used to being clipped in.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm

yup, that's borked.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!XBw5W-3GaOZDY ... Shoe-Plate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

delivery may cost a small fortune

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Tomca74 wrote:Got some SPD pedals and shoes for my commuter but didn't work the last 5 days. Hop on the bike this morning and flew to work, even with a new shoe that broke 5 km into my ride. Going through the rough stuff in front of the wreckers at Oxley, you would think a MTB shoe would handle it Only a cheap pair of Fluids, just to see if I can get used to being clipped in.
Its not really the shoe that broke, its just the cleat nut. Buy a new set of cleats ($20) and use the nut from those. I never bother replacing the nuts when I replace cleats anyway. Or you can have an old set of mine.

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 pm

North Sydney this morning. Female in hatchback turning right. Nearly got me coming down the road in the opposite direction. :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 am

Windy yesterday afternoon - hot northerly - one of the warmer days of spring so far for the ride back.
Still pretty warm this morning, pleasant ride into the Melbourne CBD. Rear wheel continues to go out of true but is still holding up, hope the new one is ready by tomorrow.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:35 am

Cool start today, but not as chilly as yesterday morning. Beautiful weather to be riding tho. It is going to be a warm one here today and by the time I got to the office I was sweating buckets.

Was an uneventful ride again, thankfully, not like yesterdays ride home...just love the P plate drivers who think your there for their entertainment. Pulled up next a motorbike rider at a set of lights this morning. He asked me where I rode to and from...when I told him he shook his head. He said he see me every day. I got the impression he was stunned at what I do.

My body is hurting and not liking what I am doing this week. Have started doing intervals on my commutes, instead of the steady plod home, and the body is crying out to stop :). Hopefully in a week or two I will get used to this. Am going to enjoy the day off tomorrow from riding

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Poor kangaroo who got mowed down on Hoddle Street at Abbotsford this morning. For those not familiar with Melbourne this is pretty much in the middle of the city so I was surprised to hear a kangaroo got that far in.

Anyway, traffic on Hoddle Street was hopping mad this morning (see what I did there??? :P ). Cars completely blocked the Albert St intersection and the cars wanting to cross Hoddle Street into Albert Street were absolutely LIVID that they were going to miss yet another light... The blowing of horns just did not stop.

Of course, all us cyclists cut through the semi-gridlocked traffic and crossed without a problem. I said to the fellow lady cyclist as I passed her "Sometimes I love riding a bike" and she agreed. What I really should have said was "I love riding a bike". I had a smile on my face going through that blocked intersection.

:)

It was a great morning for a ride!

Last night's ride wasn't so nice with the wind and heat. It sucked all my energy out of my legs. I had the struggle to breath or swallow issue and I thought I was going to choke. Even the sip of water I took didn't really ease it. And last night Queen St was chocker block full of cars going towards Southbank... Not that that bothered a little 'ol cyclist like me.

Did I mention I love riding to work? :D

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 am

The rain stayed away for yesterday afternoon's ride back via MYT/Greensborough/Bundoora, but this morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD was in drizzle and light rain for most of the way. Dried up closer to the CBD and by the time I pulled into the basement parking I had dried out as well.
My new rim should be fitted around lunch time, hooray!

Happy Friday! :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am

TailWind wrote:My new rim should be fitted around lunch time, hooray!
should or will?

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:53 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:My new rim should be fitted around lunch time, hooray!
should or will?
Well, my mobile bike service dude is pretty reliable, so I'm 90% sure...oh, and I'm getting a mudflap for the front too, just in time for the next period of wet weather here in Melbs. :mrgreen:
It's been a bit of a nervous time commuting on a failing rim....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

TailWind wrote:It's been a bit of a nervous time commuting on a failing rim....
I've been concerned for you TW. There's been enough crashes/malfunctions this year between us all without one occurring that could have been prevented

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:It's been a bit of a nervous time commuting on a failing rim....
I've been concerned for you TW. There's been enough crashes/malfunctions this year between us all without one occurring that could have been prevented
+1 Hope you get your new wheel for the ride home (and it doesn't rain in on you as well).

Realy nice ride in this morning - enjoy the slow pace I set and will be enjoying a good quick sprint on the way home. Lower kms this week but have alot of kms for over the weekend with little a's and fruit shopping along with a trip to the library to help no.1 kid with an assignment. Hope it doesn't rain.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

One good thing about n+1 for a commuter fleet is no urgent maintenance, just swap over like a TdF team mechanic spare bike, the other becomes parts and n+1 loop continues to replace it to eliminate that flaw in the n-1 unit.