BUPA ride and getting back from VH

dclnmurray

BUPA ride and getting back from VH

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 am

Hi All South Aussies.

We are bunch of 5 coming down from Brissie to participate and have a bit of fun at the TDU and the ride. We are staying in a cottage at Norwood which looks to be pretty centrally located and looks great. Got everything pretty well covered except the transport back from VH. There is the option of the bus but as we like to see places we visit we thought we would stay a little longer in VH. So, is there any other way of getting back to Adelaide such as a train service or any other options? I am guessing not as it looks pretty remote.

regards

Dave

you cannot be sirrus

Re: BUPA ride and getting back from VH

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:38 pm

No trains from VH, you'll have to ride back or drive if you are staying in Victor.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 pm

The ride back through the hills is quite nice.

There is a decent route coming back via Clarendon and Blackwood which will lead you to New Belair Road and straight into Norwood

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

alex

Postby alex » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:08 am

if you ride back you would end up doing 250+km

my understanding is that the advertised shuttle service is pretty good
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

if it is a head wind coming home ... it may not be a fun ride bike.

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Ride back the next day or the Sunday would be the best bet for an out of Towner. Some great roads to come back to Adelaide.

Spend Friday afternoon wading a in the calm, cool water if victor.

simmo71

Postby simmo71 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

If you decide to stay VH extra day there is a bus service to city 3x daily. Google premier bus lines. Bikes would be excess baggage though.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

adamr

Postby adamr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 pm

The logical thing is to stay overnight in Victor then ride back via Willunga the next day to see Stage 5.

cplus

Postby cplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm

adamr wrote:The logical thing is to stay overnight in Victor then ride back via Willunga the next day to see Stage 5.
Absolutely!

And you will get their earlier than most leaving from Adelaide too.

JulMass

Postby JulMass » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey staying in VH and riding back the next day is a great idea! Guess the only drawback is carrying your undies/change of clothes/ evening gown for Friday night. VH is a seaside town with a few pubs and informal eateries so maybe you could get away with cycling kit st the dinner table :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:45 am

Try the Harbar while in victor harbour... Classy little upstairs tapas/cocktail bar in the Main Street.... Or if u want something I little more relaxed, Ninos is the local pizza & pasta / cyclist cafe opposite the finish... Both run by the same (cyclist) fella....

http://harbar.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stu125

Postby stu125 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi all
Does anyone know if you can hop on & pay for a bus at VH on the day?
Planning to ride home but if im feeling shattered it would be good to have the option

Stu

cplus

Postby cplus » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Possible. But you might be waiting a while...

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:07 pm

We are also coming over from Vic, and are chasing a bit of info on that first climb Glen Ormand to Stirling. Anyone know the max gradient and how long it goes for?
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

flex5150 wrote:We are also coming over from Vic, and are chasing a bit of info on that first climb Glen Ormand to Stirling. Anyone know the max gradient and how long it goes for?
http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U will find all of Adelaide's climbs on there... The old freeway climb to crafers is pretty achievable even for once a year riders... Crafers to Stirling is a little up n down (rolling), but pretty easy to get to...

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm

thanks, Dr,M
That looks much better than the profile mape on the TdU site.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

GH

Postby GH » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Thinking there may well be a "Couriers Please" type service between VH and ADL that would be able to transport a suitcase full of clothes etc for not too much money such that you have all you need in VH for the overnighter and have your stuff back at the cottage when/after you get back there. And if there is a family owned courier then the service could well be even better. Just a thought......

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:35 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
flex5150 wrote:We are also coming over from Vic, and are chasing a bit of info on that first climb Glen Ormand to Stirling. Anyone know the max gradient and how long it goes for?
http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U will find all of Adelaide's climbs on there... The old freeway climb to crafers is pretty achievable even for once a year riders... Crafers to Stirling is a little up n down (rolling), but pretty easy to get to...
From what I've seen the ride goes up the freeway through the tunnels, so its a shorter steeper climb. I've never done it tho, Someone who's done the Velo Adelaide ride might have some advice on the climb
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:42 am

Trev Campbell wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:

From what I've seen the ride goes up the freeway through the tunnels, so its a shorter steeper climb. I've never done it tho, Someone who's done the Velo Adelaide ride might have some advice on the climb
Easier... Better ride surface... Less debris... Much wider (obviously)... No overly steep bits... Climbs more graduated....

cplus

Postby cplus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:32 pm

I rode the freeway way back when the coast to coast still ran - this years TDU route is very similar to that overall.

The old freeway is more undulating to start (on the path) and then gets easier for the most part past the elbow (chicken skin corner being the prime exemption)

The new freeway is a constant slog. It is actually pretty tough, but not ridiculously so. No worse than the expressway for Amy's ride for example (plenty will be walking before the tunnels though I'm sure of it)

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Coming down from Syd with a mate and staying in the CBD. We are doing the Bupa 155km. We plan on riding back along the coast - we need the extra km's for 3Peaks training so we dont mind.
Can anyone recommend a nice route back that's relatively safe. If I map it out it seems like the most direct route is Victor Harbor road then either Main South, SouthernExpress Way or maybe Dyson/Lonsdale road(more scenic?).

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Stay away from the victor harbor - Adelaide road ... It's a death trap....

Safest way back is victor to myponga...Willunga... Mclaren vale (via sea vines bike way)... To expressway (also via the bike way)... Express way/ veloway (watch all the roadworks)... Darlington... Marion road... Anzac hwy.. CBD

BillR

Postby BillR » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 am

Here you go.......

http://goo.gl/maps/96Sbf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mt Billy will give you some good training for the Twin Peaks ride. :o)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Good work Bill

To get from victor CBD to hindmarsh valley rd, your better off going seaview, greenhills, hutchinson roads... Then your off the main road... This is the usual route the local riders take...

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks Bill....thanks Doc...... This is great - I would imagine a number of others riding back also.
Looks sooooo scenic we're going to have to stop a few times along the way to enjoy the view :-)

Would it be ok to stay on Main South Rd abit longer and then join up to Old Coach Rd - looks like a nice shoulder to ride on.

Thanks again guys.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]