Prolite Merano?

thejester

Prolite Merano?

Postby thejester » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am

Light me up Deon :twisted:
I am really interested in the Bracciano, this forum, every forum seems to have Bracciano fans, thumbs up Prolite :D

I however am a pretty big guy. 85-90kg ex football player with a lot of power going into my bike, potholes and bumps can be hit with a fair bit of force.
Those Merano's might be a bit more my wheel type. Heavier guage spokes and hubs, 30mm rim.
I'm a bit taken with thought of wider rims and 25mm tyres though.

How good are the Merano's compared to the Braccianos, probably talking hubs I guess?
What is the rim width of the Merano 30mm?
Would the Bracciano cope with me?
Bit worried about low spoke counts on both. Have been looking for 24/28 spoke wheels, maybe build my own :?

My birthday is this month :D :D and I'm after some wheels.
Forum knowledge may as well increase with mine.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

jacks1071

Re: Prolite Merano?

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 pm

If you like the wider rims, have you considered the new Merano A25W ?

Sounds like you are a strong rider and at 90 odd kg you are no light weight.

If I was picking a set for you, it'd be either the Como or the Garda. You can abuse them to death, they are super strong despite the relatively low spoke count and are tested well in excess of your weight (140kg). They also have pretty good aero properties and although they are heavy they'll cut the air far better than something built up with a really high spoke count. Lets face it at 90 odd kg the weight of the wheels is pretty irrelevant especially in a non-race environment, what is more important is stiffness, durability and aero which you are going to get with the Como & Garda models.

The other models you are looking at are generally fine around your weight with an "average" rider on them. If you are exceptionally fast/strong and regularly drilling pot holes and big bumps then the lighter models maybe too light for you - certainly you'll be close to the limit.

There is a number of customers on the Bracciano A27 who are even heavier than you without issue but they are people who I'd describe as being "easy" on their gear and I'm not sure you fit that description?

Another option would be the Bracciano A42, I am quite confident they'll be fine for you. If you want something higher performance than the Como or Garda model than that's probably the set.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/bracciano-a42.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Is there a weight limit for the Merano A25W?
Is it available in a rim only or other drillings? 28 or 32 hole?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:01 pm

fletch62 wrote:Is there a weight limit for the Merano A25W?
Is it available in a rim only or other drillings? 28 or 32 hole?
How heavy are you Fletch?

We are looking at doing a small run of a higher spoke count version of this wheel as a few bigger riders are asking about them.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

fletch62

Postby fletch62 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 pm

About 85kgs at the moment.
I have a set of Velocity A23/Novatec hubs in 20/24h and there just not strong enough.
24/28 or 28/32 would be better.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 pm

fletch62 wrote:About 85kgs at the moment.
I have a set of Velocity A23/Novatec hubs in 20/24h and there just not strong enough.
24/28 or 28/32 would be better.
At this poing we are looking at a 24/32 on that rim but am open to suggestions. The front even with 20H is never an issue but 24H 2 cross will improve on the stiffness without too much extra weight.

The Pro-Lite Como and Garda models will hold you no problem at all, with the lighter rims though a higher spoke count would be the go if you are breaking stuff...

What issues have you had with your existing wheels?

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 am

Awesome thread TheJester, Ive been thinking the same thing...

I bought a couple of sets of COMO's at the start of this year for training/commuting and absolutely love them. Im an ex-Rugby prop whose weight fluctuates between 95-100kg and I can smash these wheels all day with no dramas at all.

Having said that,I am also after something a bit more "performance" oriented. Would you recommend the Bracciano A42 to someone like me Deon?

Sorry for the thread hijack....

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:10 pm

1st XV wrote:Awesome thread TheJester, Ive been thinking the same thing...

I bought a couple of sets of COMO's at the start of this year for training/commuting and absolutely love them. Im an ex-Rugby prop whose weight fluctuates between 95-100kg and I can smash these wheels all day with no dramas at all.

Having said that,I am also after something a bit more "performance" oriented. Would you recommend the Bracciano A42 to someone like me Deon?

Sorry for the thread hijack....
Shouldn't be an issue.

I have a customer on the Gold Coast who hit a pot hole at 70km/ph, blowing both tyres and the impact was enough to rotate his bars down on the stem - Bracciano A42 wheels didn't require any adjustment.

The rim is very strong which is why we can get away with the relatively low spoke count with a bigger rider.

The models with the lighter/softer rims when you start getting up around that 95kg+ weight unless you are "easy" on your gear they are the models that benefit from a higher spoke count.

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Good enough for me mate, just ordered a set!

Thanks for being so accessible on a forum such as this, makes the whole process so much easier.

Sorry again thejester, back to you....... :-)

thejester

Postby thejester » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Don't apologise 1st XV ride out to Pushys and let me have a ride.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:01 am

Im not due home from Afghanistan until January, but Ill happily let you take a spin then mate! ;-)

thejester

Postby thejester » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Keep your head down till then:)
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Recently got a set of Merano A30's from Dion.
They are very good for the price. Can't go wrong, for that money I dont reckon there is anything better out there. Reasonably light, stiff and roll well. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am

226k ride on them yesterday. The rear threw off a kamikaze attack from an errant garmin 510 with a broken lug :roll:
Bounced up into the spokes, spat out, bounced in again and spat out for good.
Damaged spokes? No effect :D Those 3.2 mm bladed steel spokes are strong.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:226k ride on them yesterday. The rear threw off a kamikaze attack from an errant garmin 510 with a broken lug :roll:
Bounced up into the spokes, spat out, bounced in again and spat out for good.
Damaged spokes? No effect :D Those 3.2 mm bladed steel spokes are strong.
If I knew you were going to TRY and break them I'd have sent you a set of Como's :-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:29 pm

I seem to be a magnet for carp at the moment. The Garmin came off a bike 4 in front but picked my wheel to bounce into.
They are going well anyway. :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:52 pm

warthog1 wrote:I seem to be a magnet for carp at the moment. The Garmin came off a bike 4 in front but picked my wheel to bounce into.
They are going well anyway. :)
Seems like that sometimes, hope your luck improves moving foward :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:40 pm

FWIW I have a set of Bracciano A27s and I am not that easy on gear. 78kg and have managed to flatspot Mavic Open Pros and CXP33s previously, drilling potholes, and would expect by now to need to at least tweak the tensions on the rear to get it back to true.

Still as true as the day they arrived, haven't had to touch them. Comfortable to ride and they roll and accelerate very nicely indeed.

More to come in A BNA review shortly.

So far

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk