M7 Safety Alert Thread

gravelrash

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby gravelrash » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Just got off the M7 Prestons end, after a loop to Sunnyholt rd The south/East wind has cleared all that smoke. It is fine.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Brown snake just before Cowpasture Rd overpass heading north. :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes, we saw it a bit earlier than you. Wondered what if it was a snake. :shock: we nearly ran over it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm

There were some kiddies hanging around near Jedda Road/Ash Road descent from off the bridge going North (just as you come down the bridge and before the right-left). They had a camera with them too.

Didn't appear to have set up any traps - but just keep your eyes open through there.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:There were some kiddies hanging around near Jedda Road/Ash Road descent from off the bridge going North (just as you come down the bridge and before the right-left). They had a camera with them too.

Didn't appear to have set up any traps - but just keep your eyes open through there.
+1. There's a school just to the north-west of the Jedda Rd offramp, and traps have been strung across the cycleway
in that area before. IIRC, someone mentioned it to the school principal, and it seemed to stop it at the time. Could be
worth you giving them a call g-boaf.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Leave it with me.

zozza

Postby zozza » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:29 pm

g-boaf wrote:There were some kiddies hanging around
Maybe some warning posters?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

That poster takes on a whole new meaning now!

Anyhow - there is flooding near the area of Ash Road. I crawled through it at about 5km/h to avoid spraying it up everywhere (especially near the Di2 battery which is hanging quite low underneath my bike.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Flooding has cleared - but the brown snake at Cowpasture Road was back again (same place as biker jk mentioned). I nearly ran over it. :shock:

westab

Postby westab » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm

The last two or three days between Sunnyholt road and Quakers hill Parkway there has been a large increase of kids, peds, and other bike riders - both in the morning and around 6pm. Take a little more care please especially around the kids as a few of them have the "wobbles".

This may also be true of other areas as well.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

westab wrote:The last two or three days between Sunnyholt road and Quakers hill Parkway there has been a large increase of kids, peds, and other bike riders - both in the morning and around 6pm. Take a little more care please especially around the kids as a few of them have the "wobbles".

Yes I saw a family out this morning with two youngsters so we slowed down and watched them carefully. Good to see kids riding bikes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:24 am

westab wrote:The last two or three days between Sunnyholt road and Quakers hill Parkway there has been a large increase of kids, peds, and other bike riders - both in the morning and around 6pm. Take a little more care please especially around the kids as a few of them have the "wobbles".

This is no different to the area around Hoxton Park and further down towards Prestons. I don't see this as a safety thing, just the normal everyday proceedings of the cycleway and common sense to slow down, which the majority of us do in those places.

Those of us who only venture down the southern section of the M7 see it all the time.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 am

g-boaf wrote:

This is no different to the area around Hoxton Park and further down towards Prestons. I don't see this as a safety thing, just the normal everyday proceedings of the cycleway and common sense to slow down, which the majority of us do in those places.

Those of us who only venture down the southern section of the M7 see it all the time.
g-boaf agree with you as seeing regularly around the Blacktown sections as well and also as a common evryday thing - ready just a reminder as I saw two near things in the last week with a couple of "TDF" riders not doing the common sence thing.

Probably just the dad thing in me knowing that three of those pesty children who don't always do as they should are mine.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 am

westab wrote:g-boaf agree with you as seeing regularly around the Blacktown sections as well and also as a common evryday thing - ready just a reminder as I saw two near things in the last week with a couple of "TDF" riders not doing the common sence thing.

Probably just the dad thing in me knowing that three of those pesty children who don't always do as they should are mine.
I suspected you had a reason behind posting that. ;) I'm ultra cautious around kids and slower riders. I don't want to crash. And I'm not fast enough (yet) to get in the top 20s of any meaningful segments on the M7 anyhow. ;) But I'm working on that. :D

westab

Postby westab » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 am

g-boaf wrote:I suspected you had a reason behind posting that. ;) I'm ultra cautious around kids and slower riders. I don't want to crash. And I'm not fast enough (yet) to get in the top 20s of any meaningful segments on the M7 anyhow. ;) But I'm working on that. :D
Not fast enough yet - but still too fast for me (probably) - you should try the M7 at about 10pm it will be mostly yours and you can go bombing away. I sometimes loose the panniers and nothing but a phone one spare tube and a pump (lights as a given) and have some fun - thats the time for the segments. Enjoy getting faster mate, hope to see you out there some time. :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Heh - some top 30s and top 50s. :D I go for the longer segments rather than the short 200-300m ones. :wink: My breakaways usually get shut-down. :oops: :lol:

I get out there on a Saturday morning and usually get a really clear run from Horsley Drive down to Camden Valley Way. The families don't like being out at 9:00am on Saturday mornings. :D I love the Equestrian slog. 8)

If anyone is going out there tonight, have fun. It's all yours. Try not to melt! :shock: It's not very nice even in the CBD here. I dread to think western Sydney.

You can spot easily enough, I'm a tiny rider on a black and green Giant in a Strava jersey (which is just for laughs, as much as it is a really top quality jersey). 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:59 pm

I believe there was an incident down near the Prestons end of the M7 this morning where a poor rider crashed as a result of a medical condition. An ambulance was in attendance.

Hope the rider recovers okay.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Rider survived The heart attack and is currently in Hospital, info from Ozpinoy Facebook Page Courtesy of Jay.Tim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:41 pm

That's excellent news. It's not the thing you like to see happening.

I've only been on one group ride where the ambulance was needed.

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

according to a friend who knew the person involved in the medical emergency at the cyclepath today, he had 2 stent procedures & will have another 1 tomorrow at liverpool hospital. he had 3 blocked arteries which he didn't know about, and to think that he regularly rides the path. so here's a friendly reminder to get that ticker checked.

PAIN - this TOO will pass

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Great to hear he is recovering.

The problem with blocked arteries is often there isn't any warning. A few years ago, before a hernia operation, my dad passed a stress test, then a week later had a major heart attack due to 3 blocked arteries, which thankfully were able to be fixed by stents.

Apparently there are warning signs but if you havent had a heart attack, they arent always recognised as warnings, more like a bit of discomfort that us blokes tend to ignore.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Great to hear he is recovering.

The problem with blocked arteries is often there isn't any warning. A few years ago, before a hernia operation, my dad passed a stress test, then a week later had a major heart attack due to 3 blocked arteries, which thankfully were able to be fixed by stents.

Apparently there are warning signs but if you havent had a heart attack, they arent always recognised as warnings, more like a bit of discomfort that us blokes tend to ignore.
That's exactly right. A friend of mine not so long ago had another heart-attack. Liverpool Hospital also did the emergency surgery in that case.

He had a heart-attack many years earlier, so he knew the signs and called 000 himself. They rushed him in. Now he doesn't smoke, doesn't eat junk food - is becoming more active.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:Now he doesn't smoke, doesn't eat junk food - is becoming more active.
So the first heart attack didn't inspire these kind of changes ?

Happy to hear the fellow this morning is going to be ok :)
FPR Ragamuffin

sylloxtric

Postby sylloxtric » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:27 pm

This subject is close to my heart (no pun intended). Let's continue to raise awareness about this.. glad to know the chap is ok.

http://www.heartattackfacts.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Watch out for the Jedda Road/Ash Road underpass - there is some glass there. Keep the speed low and you can avoid it. Didn't have anything to use to sweep it away (and too much of it), or I'd have cleaned it up.