Gios Torino Appreciation society

QuangVuong

Gios Torino Appreciation society

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 pm

It's about time Gios afficianados got their own place. :D

As some of you may know, I purchased a Gios for $75 off Gumtree from some dude up in Newcastle.

Pics from the seller, as I have not picked up the frame yet.

Seems like the seller has owned it for the past 10 years and used it as a commuter. He seems to know his stuff, so I have not idea why he is selling it for so cheap! It currently has a 600 headset, so I assumed that is the original groupset on the frame. Ill be building this up with a 105 groupset though.

Now, theres barely any info on these older Gios bikes. From this site, Gios uses Dedacciai Chrome-Moly tubing, which is equivalent to Reynolds 531/Columbus. How true would this statement be? And did Gios ever have different model names? The majority of them are just called a Gios, with no specific model name.

My frame looks to be a newer model from the assumed original 6400 groupset, meaning early to mid 90s. I also see that it doesnt have any internal cable routing, which is different to most Gios'. Maybe I should bring out the drill. :twisted: Anyone have any idea what model this is? And any more info on Gios in general?

And do these have Italian standards? BB shell and headset?
Last edited by Mulger bill on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Clydesdale Scot

Re: Gios

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:16 am

Quang
You have purchased a Gios Compact frame.
Other notable models were the Super Record then the Professional. These came before the Compact.
I have a white Professional being rebuilt now.
As bought, photo from the seller
The Professional has the internal cables and was built using Columbus SL tubing.
Have a look through the Historic Register here and you will see the main models.
Some Company history here

The Gios Torino bikes were used by the famous Brooklyn team,
Try to track down "A Sunday in Hell" (recently removed from Youtube) as it features Roger De Vlaeminck and Eddy Merckx
I post on the LFGSS forum as 'Big Block' and yesterday posted in the thread you linked the bottle decal I picked up from the printer yesterday.

I will try leather stitching the leather on the handlebars (Almarc style) and have a Brooks that I am recovering after I have done the 'Ottussi' modifications. The Spiedel gear levers will be replaced by Campagnolo and the Shimano brake levers will be replaced with NOS Campagnolo Super Record. The seatpost has been lengthened as I will be using it at full height, and polished.
After your HSC exams try Googling Gios Torino, I found plenty.

vaeske

Re: Gios Torino

Postby vaeske » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am

If you can't find the movie, you can always torrent it...bloody fantastic movie it is...nice find too! bloody bargain!

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 pm

You can get the DVD for bugger all as well.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Makes me wish I had taken this one when I was in Colombia, as it was just sitting in the street and a little worst for wear :o

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 pm

albertgaleano wrote:Makes me wish I had taken this one when I was in Colombia, as it was just sitting in the street and a little worst for wear :o
shoulda woulda coulda! would be a nice interesting piece of memorabilia :D

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:51 pm

HSC done, and Im back into this. Spent the first half of today heading up to Newcastle to grab the frame. Upon the initial strip down, I got stuck at the stem. It wouldnt budge, so out comes the hack saw. Couldve gone closer, but didnt wanna accidently cut into the nice 6500 headset.

First time trying out how caustic soda goes on attacking aluminium. The stem was about 9cm down the steerer, and is about 5mm thick. So Im guessing itll take a while.

15 mins later, it looks like this. Its currently sitting outside fizzing away. Hopefully tmw morning Ill find a fork with a clear hollow steerer.

Now, there are 2 serials on this frame. The BB one is 9H89. I assume its an '89 frame, which does have an English BB? The other serial which is located on the left rear quarter of the ST near the BB lug is CK002498 MFS F. I guess, Marco Gios will be able to confirm what it is.

Frame with headset cups weighs in at 2150g, which is on the heavier side. Wonder how heavy the fork is. Maybe Ill end up with a 10kg bike.

tyliftw

Postby tyliftw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Ooh, what's the plan with this one? What are you thinking of building it up with?

The stem has been bubbling away in caustic soda for around two days now. How's it looking?
Cannondale CAAD7 SRAM Rival
Centurion Triathlon Master Ultegra 6500

seddo

Postby seddo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 am

Buy of the year many congrats, looking forward to the build

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:39 am

As QV's older brother, I can report that the build has been completed and is awaiting test rides/maiden voyage ;)

gravelrash

Postby gravelrash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm

minhyy
I have a Peugeot Aubisque all Exage , cranks alloy, (Biopace,52/42 steel rings), brake levers and calipers, Hubs, circa 1985. White, HlE Maganese alloy. Size 22inch.

And if you purchase for $300 you get the 57' AlAn 88 frame and forks for your little bro' ( no bearings) just frame n Forks. Merry HSC Quang!!!!!

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:26 pm

^ PM sent

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Laggy update since Ive been building the Gios.

Sunday 3.11.13
I did not wake up to a clear steerer. The stem was still about 2mm thick. It took approx 19 hours to fully dissolve, and it ended up with this. Looks like I have a way of removing the Bundy's seatpost now.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the 105 groupset(big thanks to Clydesdale Scot for the 105 levers from his Gios, and the other members who I sourced the missing parts of the groupse from) and polished up the seatpost and stem. Anyone have any idea what seatpost it is? Out the back there was a massive scratch which damaged the printed logo, saying SYSTEM COMP... Its an interesting seatpost clamp design.

Monday 4.11.13
I begun building up the frame. Frame with the headset cups weighs in at 2150g, and the fork at 820g. A grand total of 2970g, a little on the heavy side.

Tuesday 4.11.13
Finished up most adjustments, etc. Bike has ended up being 10.55kg.

Reusing my old 9s gold chain.

Will be recovering this saddle with a new white leather top. This yellowed white looks ugly. Now wheres the best place to source some leather scraps? Lincraft/Spotlight sell by the metre, and is way too much for just one saddle.
Last edited by QuangVuong on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Looks good. I like your attention in 'setting' the bike for the photos.
now time to add this one to your profile.
Philip

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Scrubbed up alright...

:D

Jim

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 am

Nice build,

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Very well done.

Steve.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 pm

for leather, try Packer Leather, Narangba, Qld.
They are amongst the most respected supplier of kangaroo leather, and pleasant to deal with.

http://www.packerleather.com/contact.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 am

QV, you didn't tell me you had this little gem!

Gios frames were renowned for a very "fast" ride. Steep angles and short wheelbases. At least in the early/late 80s.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 am

Great looking build QV. Nicely thought out and progressed stage by stage by the looks of it.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am

"QuangVuongWill be recovering this saddle with a new white leather top. This yellowed white looks ugly. Now wheres the best place to source some leather scraps? Lincraft/Spotlight sell by the metre, and is way too much for just one saddle.
Forgot to say, have a look in the yellow pages for upholsterers around by where you live, either auto or general. They usually have heaps of scraps.

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Very very noice

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm

"Now wheres the best place to source some leather scraps? Lincraft/Spotlight sell by the metre, and is way too much for just one saddle."

NSW Leather, Elizabeth St Alexandria. I dropped in one day (via the back dock) for an offcut to do a strap repair and was lucky enough to be handed a peice that would cover a seat :D

Address: 707 Elizabeth St, Waterloo NSW 2017
Phone:(02) 9319 2900
Hours:
Hours:

Sunday Closed
Monday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Tuesday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Thursday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
Saturday Closed
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 pm

going with the period correct Turbo (for now), and the leather stitched handlebar tape will have a few more practices on some spare bars before I try it on this one.
Just been out for its first ride.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Quang, what are the black rims/wheels you've got on that? Nice fit for the bike.

Jim