Names for the regulars I see on my commute.

bychosis

Names for the regulars I see on my commute.

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:13 am

I've been cycle commuting for a while now and notice quite a few regulars on the share path, mostly walkers and a few cyclists. There is:

Cheery Goodmornington: loud and cheery "good morning" each time I pass
Small, Medium and Large: a gourd of three ladies who are out for morning walks, Small leads the way and appears to set the pace, Large follows along, medium varies between beside Small or Large. Sometimes the group isn't complete.
The pink ladies: three older ladies who predominantly seem to wear pink.
Swinger McStrides: young woman who strides along and has a distinct are swing.
Green Bags: MTB BSO wearing a crooked BMX helmet with BMX handlebars resplendent with a green shopping bag on each side
Wobbles: MTB with aero bars whose serious expression and headphones are complimented by a head wobble in time with his cadence.
Furious Fred: flat bar road bike rider with a flouro vest and rides pretty fast with a grimace like he's struggling to get up a decent hill even though the path is flat.

There are more I can't think of at the moment. Who do you see? I wonder what my name is?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Baldy

Re: Names for the regulars I see on my commute.

Postby Baldy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Mr Punyverse: Stick insect in a human costume that rides around slowly with a stern look on his face, bibknicks flapping in the breeze.

Jacky Bobby: A roadie who is a dead ringer for Bobridge, down to position on the bike and the national kit.

Blaskimo: African fella who gets around in a full one piece ski suit even in the middle of summer.

Violet: Female walker whos profile has been shrinking over the last 2years, to the point I now soft pedal as I approach.

The Kumars: Elderly Indian couple who drive to and then walk back and forwards on a 100m section of cycleway. Its not even a scenic bit of path, its behind some houses and a pub. And they are never within 15m of each other.

Kenny Rogers: Fat old alcoholic who walks around drinking stubbies with his tiny alcoholic dog.

The Glass Fairy: Older gent who rides around on a nice dually and sweeps the cycleway with a hearth brush. Legend. I always give him a wave and say gday or have a chat If I'm in no hurry.

Ok, so the first one is the only one I had before I saw this thread but the rest is a true story.

I bet my name is something awesome.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm

The Salmon

Daily commuter on a newish 'sit up n beg' from Magill somewhere to Adelaide city via Tranmere, Firle, Trinity Gardens, Maylands. Wears a fluoro vest, sits upright, and undulates his entire torso as he rides, usually with a beatific smile on his face. Looks like a salmon swimming upstream.

Milar

Postby Milar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I've spoken to many of my regulars and now know many names, so that spoils it a little.
There is still a couple..
Buff Man: A nod exchanger who is usually wearing a buff over his face.
Rhodes scholar: Rides to Rhodes and looks and sounds like a professor.
Last of the summer wine: 3 older blokes who ride slow but quick with a line in our brief exchanges. Come to think of it, I haven't seen them for a while...

I wonder what my name is? I was chatting to a regular once who said I'd chatted to her husband the week before. I clearly impressed if they talked about me at home!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm

I've got two regulars that I recognise - there are more, but I only really notice these as regulars after about 4 years of commuting. They both go the opposite direction to me.

One's the Bushranger - he's tall and skinny and has a very impressive beard, 1850s style. We exchange a nod or a finger wave.

The other's the Neon Samurai - he's a 25-30 year old asian dude on a small wheeled chopper type bike. During the winter he rode without lights and the bike was fairly bare. Toward the end of spring he started using a front light only and wrapped up his bars in bright green bar tape. Always a smile on his face, even as he's working hard up the hills.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 am

A few of my regulars:

1. Jekyll and Hyde - One lady who is out for a morning walk with 1 y.o. in pram. Some mornings I say hello and she waves and returns the favour, some other mornings I get the death stare as if how dare you speak to me.
2. The love birds - a more senior couple who are walking, holding hands, almost always similing and talking to each other - I just wave as it is rude to interupt; it is always returned.
3.The wizard - a school kid who attends the local catholic school where one of my friends is his teacher - I see him 20min before bell time miles from school climbing trees, kicking a ball, or mucking around with mates. When I asked my friend if he is always late to school the answer is never. He must be a wizard and teleport to the play ground.
4. Beep Beep - one rider that I see in the afternoon who is realy rude, he rides a good bike reasonably fast (better than me which is not hard) and rather than passing witha good gap he passes close and goes "beep beep" when right on your shoulder. He rides a little reckless usually IMHO but if you take offence at beep beep and give chase the riding style goes from reckless to down right insanely dangerous.
5. Old Paul - Realy nice old guy who simply rides, he is often on old rescued bikes that regularly change. He has a drink bottle in a plastic bag and any hills are for walking up. He has the motto of ride slow & ride long but he just likes being out there - who doesn't - and a nice ride in the morning is the best way to start you day according to Old Paul. I think he is right :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

plasmapug

Postby plasmapug » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 pm

westab wrote: 1. Jekyll and Hyde - One lady who is out for a morning walk with 1 y.o. in pram. Some mornings I say hello and she waves and returns the favour, some other mornings I get the death stare as if how dare you speak to me.
I'd say her reaction is closely related to how much sleep that 1 y.o. let her have the night before!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:40 am

I have many "named" regulars on my commute.

Over the years I have identified with many types from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=35400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reflectoman, SuperNova, bike salmon, Bikepath Ninjas, The Sherpa, I have them all.

The Major, Long Legs Lucy, Two Fat Ladies, The Plumber (always showing the proverbial "plumber's crack" from the top of his shorts), Nanna Gadiva (Busty old lady with way too small a top ...)

Night Fury even got his own vid - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFoVHDempo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Pinnarello Prince makes an appearance at the 2:50 mark of this vid: http://youtu.be/6dMJDXS-3LU?t=2m50s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, riding a bright red and white velomobile as my daily commuter, I must be called 1000 different names. So if you have a name for me, lets hear it - I promise I won't be offended.

westab

Postby westab » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:17 pm

plasmapug wrote:
westab wrote: 1. Jekyll and Hyde - One lady who is out for a morning walk with 1 y.o. in pram. Some mornings I say hello and she waves and returns the favour, some other mornings I get the death stare as if how dare you speak to me.
I'd say her reaction is closely related to how much sleep that 1 y.o. let her have the night before!
Never was a truer word spoken - I am glad my youngest is 8 y.o. and I also have teen looking over my shoulder now - I loose sleep for other reasons. The same reason my hair is falling out and going grey. :roll: :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

Now she wants more smilies for this post - :D :) :oops: :lol: is that enough no.1 kid :!: OK one more click away :twisted:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 am

plasmapug wrote:
If you encounter me on my commute to work at 5:30am, my reaction would me much the same. Our 2 year old is currently going through a phase where he wakes up at 2am and will only go back to sleep if it is in our bed. I can be pretty grumpy on only 3 hours sleep.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am

I have another one - Mr Smurf.

He is an older gentlemen who is polite and walks alone; he is always wearing something blue (jumper, shirt, shorts). And like most of the smurfs he is happy and considerate.

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 pm

There's this lady pedestrian I see most days on my commute home and my name for her is roadkill. She is super annoying. I will be waiting on the traffic island to cross Epping Rd at Delhi Rd to get to the bike path on Epping Rd. I will press the pedestrian/bike button. She then toddles along after seeing me doing this and feels the need to press it again. She then walks around my bike and crosses Delhi Rd. She then crosses Epping Rd where there is no pedestrian crossing. I have seen her nearly get hit so many times now.

Next time I see her, I might tell her that is she's in such a rush why doesn't she leave work 10 minutes earlier....

westab

Postby westab » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 am

Probably the last for this year - Gandalf the Grump over the last few weeks I have seen this gentlemen riding his flat bar road bike he has a longish grey beard but unlike the grey version from the Lord of the Rings movies he never seems to smile. I have stopped saying HI or waving to him as we pass each other as it seems to annoy him (when I do I get the grunt and an upturned nose in my direction). It might just be he is at the end of a long year like the rest of us.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 am

Lately I've seen 'Hi-5' bloke who always smiles a good morning and usually waves with his arm held up high and hand vertical. I am not sure wether I'm meant to raise my hand for a high five not he way past :)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 pm

bychosis wrote:I am not sure wether I'm meant to raise my hand for a high five not he way past :)
you'll only try it once. it hurts, trust me :)

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 pm

I was only thinking about nicknaming my regulars last night, then I stumbled on this thread this morning. I have specific people:

*The dentist – a bloke with a rear view mirror attached to his helmet that looks like a dentist’s tool
*Bell End – The bloke who is presumably trying to end it all by waiting for someone to come up behind him then weaves into the middle of the path so that he can shout at you for not ringing your bell
*The stickler – Bloke who shouts “duty of care” etc at everyone who overtakes him
*The car sales balloon – a woman of about 30kg that looks like one of those inflated figures you see outside car dealerships that flap their limbs
*Old man shamer – Must be 70 years old wears hi-vis and totes about 20kg in his panniers. When I took up riding in November I blew past him on my way to/from the city only for him to come past me 15km later as I tired

General Types:
*The DUI – Clearly doesn’t want to be on a bike but lost his licence and has to get to work somehow
*It won’t last – fat / unfit person on a $200 K-Mart bike trying to lose a bit of weight but will have the bike on e-bay before the end of summer to sell to fund chocolate purchases
*TdF – Got to set a PB every time he is out even if that means overtaking into traffic and causing a crash, passing on blind bends etc. Often shouts insults at anyone who costs him 2 seconds
*The dreamer – fluffy woman gently meandering along with a basket on her retro bike without a care in the world
*The blocker – zooms past as if you are not there then slows down right in front of you as soon as they have passed
*The tailgater – Sits on your rear wheel for a rest (guilty m’lud, but only if you are a blocker in which case it is fair game)
*Not as good as you think you are – powers along on the flat and short hills but goes backwards on the longer / steeper hills (me!)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Smiley - no not a dwarf, just a regular going in the opposite direction along Victoria Rd, always has a smile for those passing
The Twins - can't recall how I thought of that name. Sadly we will be seeing less of her as winter approaches
The lion - stops 20m uphill from the lights so he can accelerate down to the lights, & maintain speed across Roberts Rd & up the hill

One has me stumped though. He is too distinctive to be anonymous, but I haven't yet found one that suits. He is a walker, with a measured stride, but that is not what makes him distinctive. That would by the blue toilet brush he carries, thrust proudly out in front like he is about to present arms & swinging from it is a bottle of pills.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Heaps along Epping Road.
Mr Hammer - always hammering, low cadence and off the saddle
Mr Optus - a guy who always wear Optus jersey
Puple lady - regular commuter on a purple bike
Trekkie - a regular who rides Trek madone with Ultegra Di2
QQ - regular here in BNA, regular along Epping rd too. I got into Ti bikes because of his Lynskey commuter.
Dr Red is GO - I have not seen this guy waiting for a green light.
Dude on Cheat - Fast with the help of batteries.
...and the list goes on. I'll pay more attention now so I can name them all.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:43 pm

The Incredible Hulk: Gym bunny who loves a solarium session. Wears a 80's vivid green singlet top in summer tight enough that it looks like he'll bust out of it without warning. You can see the poor bike that he rides cringing at every pedal stroke from the force inflicted upon it.
Chris Froome: Has the same lanky, tanned and not an ounce of fat profile as the TDF champ, and wears dark riding kit coupled with white oakleys, very similar to the Team Sky outfit. He also obliterates hills
Ladies of Style and Substance: My generic term for the ever increasing numbers of middle aged (and older) women navigating Hobart on E-bikes. Invariably without fail they manage to retain an air of elegance and style whilst doing so, which their equivalent male E-bike users come nowhere near achieving.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Angus Pompus - Guy who chases any cyclist who breaks a road rule by chasing them along Rathdowne and verbally harasses them for breaking a road rule with "what do think the drivers think!" "gives us a bad name" "you should learn to get faster legs than run red lights". Despite being right, hes dangerously distracting all types of road users and being overally aggressive... really unpleasant to witness.

Loco Orbea - He has an Orbea bike, blue frame, see him most mornings along St George, me on the bike path, him on the road. Jesus, he is fast, actually racing the traffic when its travelling at the speed limit. However, makes me wince as those cars are so, so close...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Perth - Kwinana Freeway from Bull Creek to Narrows and then Esplanade/Riverside Drive path to East Perth.

I see heaps of regulars as they all pass me, though some are seasonal. I am at a disadvantage as most recognise me while I often do not know the names, Usually have a hand-check relationship. Apologies to many.

Here goes:

Lanky guy that is always heavily protected against sun - brim over helment, screen, etc. I guess he rides from around the Narrows to , maybe, Murdoch Uni. Every day.
Andrew Lockwood - rides pretty well the same route as me from Bateman
Paul who's looks bely his riding and fitness. Will pass me anywhere from Mt Pleasant to the Narrows.
Peter, Sam, Jonesy and othes from the WA Rowing Club. I see them at Sassys daily as well as on the paths.
Friday group that arrives at Sassys, starting with Brad (from my basketball days).
The over 55's lot that depart from Deep Water Point on Saturdays.
Guy on trike always with a ragged neck think trailing behind his helmet.
Seniors couple on tandem. Sometime just him on a bike.

And plenty of occassionals - Alan and Penny (relatives) on tandem or on separate bikes, Roland, Jeremy Murray (BWA CEO), Heinrich (BTA), Jillian and Christine (Frocks on Bikes), Craig Parsons (wheelchair olympian silver medallist), ...

and a heap of names and faces that I will remember as soon as I press the Submit button here. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle