Adelaide advice

mogwaiboi

Adelaide advice

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:54 am

Hi All

A mate and I are heading over to Adelaide next month for a week with the bikes to do some cycling. We are basing ourselves in Adelaide CBD and will either head off each day from there or possibly jump on the train to head out further. Having only been to Adelaide CBD for business I was hoping some locals could suggest some rides/hills/loops worth exploring??? The only one I really know of from the Tour Down Under is Wilunga Hill!
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

eeksll

Re: Adelaide advice

Postby eeksll » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:30 am

what length of ride do you plan on doing?

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:05 am

Looking at any rides from around 80km to 120km.

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am

OMGosh there are so many!

From the city you have the choice of at least six fantastic climbs eastwards up into the hills

From north to south...

1) Gorge Road
2) Montacute Road
3) Norton Summit Road (not Old Norton Summit Road - the cars use that)
4) Greenhill Road (busy with cars)
5) The Old Freeway (bike path and no cars all the way from the Tollgate to Crafers)
6) Belair Road/Upper Sturt Road

They're all brilliant, and once you get up into the hills you can ride east for quite a long way (Lobethal/Balhannah/Hahndorf/Aldgate) along any of the east bound routes before looping back along another one and back to the CBD down a different climb. The Hills roads are all in pretty good repair and there are never many cars on them. One of the most beautiful roads is what we call "Little Italy" - it runs from Ashton to Lenswood - and my other two favourite roads are Woods Hill Road from Greenhill Road to Ashton, and **ALDGATE VALLEY ROAD** from Mylor to Aldgate.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 am

Having only been to Adelaide once, and then not with a bike, I can only say I'm jealous. Adelaide Hills seemed like a superb place to ride. Enjoy!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks a lot Arkle, I've added all those to my list.

cplus

Postby cplus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Willunga hill can be done in your distance too.

best bet is;

City
Old Belair
Corromandel Valley
Clarendon
McLaren Vale
Willunga Hill

you can then either come back via Euchunga/Mylor/Stirling (hard) or via the coast (easier)

will be 120-140km return.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks cplus, I've just checked out your suggestion.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm

We did the Adelaide - Willunga Hill - Adelaide ride today advised by cplus. Encountered some nasty climbs on the way and returning so it was a tough day of around 130km and quite hot in the afternoon. More cars in the CBD surrounding suburbs than I thought there would be so it was a bit dodgy getting out and coming back in. It was great to climb Willunga and we went through some scenic places...an awesome day on the bike!

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't know why willunga hill is so popular. Gorge, montacute, little Italy are so much nicer and closer to the CBD

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

cplus

Postby cplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 pm

length & gradient + lack of traffic. 3+km over 7% avg.

most climbs near the city are either shorter or not as steep.

plus it is a nice ride to get out there either via Echunga or Clarendon.

cplus

Postby cplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:17 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:We did the Adelaide - Willunga Hill - Adelaide ride today advised by cplus. Encountered some nasty climbs on the way and returning so it was a tough day of around 130km and quite hot in the afternoon. More cars in the CBD surrounding suburbs than I thought there would be so it was a bit dodgy getting out and coming back in. It was great to climb Willunga and we went through some scenic places...an awesome day on the bike!
did you go to there via Belair/Corro/Clarendon? and what about home? hopefully either the reverse or via stirling!

the run from blackwood to clarendon then up main rd is one of my favourite stretches. up there with aldgate valley road (go find that tomorrow!)

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am

+1 to aldgate valley road

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Check out Burdetts Rd (Little Italy). Ride down Pound Rd, up Burdettes. Then head down Lobethal Rd to Lobethal. Then out of Lobethal down Gorge. You can check out Corkscrew Rd on the way back, and if you continue up Montacute you'll end up back where you started (at pound) or if you want to head back to the city turn right at the end of Corkscrew Rd.

A climb that is super close to the city, a little tough and has some great views is Mt Osmond via Beaumont. Climb up Thirkell Ave and continue through the switchbacks. Its really quite close to the city

That whole hills face stretching from Belair out to Montecute is great IMHO. My favorite roads to ride for sure.