Touring on a LWB Recumbent

RonK

Re: Touring on a LWB Recumbent

Postby RonK » Wed May 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thoughts on the Bella?
Looks like a copy if the RANS. The frame design of both leaves me cold.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 pm

They also sell the Bella ATT in a frame kit and if it tickles your fancy your choice of colour can be a mango.

The local cyclist who imported an Easyracer I should have mentioned got stung with a lot of extra costs, customs and shipping cost more than the bike and he'll never try that again. At least with choosing a Rans or Bacchetta you can buy them in AU with just a shipping cost from Canberra to Perth. And a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to bring it in yourself - Ian at Flying Furniture gets bikes by the container, not one-offs.

You've already digested front wheel sizes, frame material choice, fairings, and so on so can I add another wrangle: underseat or apehanger handlebars? Those 80's American LWB that Phil T of WAHpv had were fitted with 16" front wheels and underseat steering, size adjustment was by moving the seat and turning a corner required a request in triplicate sent a month ahead to the front wheel (well, not that bad but a bit of getting used to with the little wheel up front, a fair bit further up front that you're used to on your DF). Issues with LWB steering are wheel flop and understeer, perhaps more so with aboveseat steering but this is the popular style for comfort and perception of safety.

And if you're looking at Rans Stratus maybe also check out the Xtreme http://www.rans.com/bicycles/xstream.html. Set up more as a midracer LWB than the standard tourer http://www.rans.com/bicycles/stratus-xp.html and was used in the RAAM. Has more Audax potential than a tourer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 19, 2013 12:27 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:The local cyclist who imported an Easyracer I should have mentioned got stung with a lot of extra costs, customs and shipping cost more than the bike and he'll never try that again. At least with choosing a Rans or Bacchetta you can buy them in AU with just a shipping cost from Canberra to Perth. And a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to bring it in yourself - Ian at Flying Furniture gets bikes by the container, not one-offs..
Shipping has been estimated at US$650.

There is apparently no import duty as the Easy Racers are made in the USA
Under the Free Trade Agreement, items manufactured in (and delivered from) the US, Thailand and New Zealand are exempt from Customs duty or receive preferential rates of duty.
- http://www.bicycles.net.au/wp-content/u ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume that GST 10% is payable and to avoid brokerage costs I will do it myself.

Not sure how it could have worked out more than the cost of the bike unless it was a very cheap second hand one.

Andrew
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Another option over on BROL Andrew

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... hp?t=91784

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi Andrew,
Interesting thread you have started here.
Looking at the Tour Ezy style they have a good reputation for touring and i suspect would work well on Audax rides.
I recall some years ago a chap came through here riding one on a round Australia trip and seemed to be having no trouble.

Up a few posts Ricki mentions Recycled Recumbents. I have built round nine of these from ADC's plans. Both Mk1 and Mk2. I like Mk2 the best.
They are pretty fast and comfortable.
Pity you didn't have them in mind when you were down or you could have tried mine. They are virtully a Tour Ezy.
Somewhere I have a set of original Tor Ezy plans from back when they used to sell them and they are very like the RR.

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:51 pm

2013 Gold Rush EVO ... there maybe a coupled variant coming out as well.

Andrew
Andrew

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:03 am

Lovely looking bike. Great colour.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

There's a review on BROL for the GRR Evo http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=8652#more-8652

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 am

Aushiker wrote:2013 Gold Rush EVO ... there maybe a coupled variant coming out as well.
Beautifully detailed - makes the idea of a frame kit very tempting.

I don't think I'd bother with couplers, even if they were available. Two sets are required, and the price is prohibitive.

According to David Cambon, a GRR is shipped in two relatively small boxes. And shipping may be much cheaper by using Shipito.

Here's another example in polished alloy.

Zoom

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 am

Interesting to observe that the GRR Evo in the post above uses a threadless headset. This would make the fork very easy to remove for packing.

It's hard to determine accurately the dimensions of the EasyRacer, but from reviewing some of the plans on the web for TourEasy clones, it seems a large size frame has a length of around 55 inches along the top tube from the head tube to the rear dropout.

Coincidentally, a Qantas bike box is 55 inches in length, so I reckon a large GRR Evo could easily be packed into one.

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 pm

The polished alloy one looks great. I presume it would a clear laquer on it to stop it oxidising. Any idea what they weigh?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Roadie wrote:The polished alloy one looks great. I presume it would a clear laquer on it to stop it oxidising. Any idea what they weigh?
According to the Easy Racers web site, it's 27lbs (12.2kg) in the medium size

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:18 am

Spotted a Tour Easy on the road this morning. First time I've ever seen one (or any crank forward bike) in the flesh. Only got a brief look before the lights changed, but the ride position looked very relaxed and comfortable.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 am

RonK wrote:Spotted a Tour Easy on the road this morning. First time I've ever seen one (or any crank forward bike) in the flesh. Only got a brief look before the lights changed, but the ride position looked very relaxed and comfortable.
It is indeed. There is at least one here in WA.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Thoughts on the Bella?
Looks like a copy if the RANS. The frame design of both leaves me cold.
The possibility of a second hands RANS Stratus 26/20 configuration so I am guessing an LE has come up. I am yet to look at the bike and that will not happen till a week or so but in the meantime I am curious Ron as to what it is about the RANS frame design that does not appeal to you.

Personally I do like the look of the RANS Stratus XP and the 26/26 combo also appeals but if a suitable Stratus LE comes up I might comprise :)

Anyway the two RANS frames are along these lines and I have added in an image of the Tour Easy Easy Racer as well ...

RANS Stratus LE (This is the one I think is possibly for sale)

Current RANS Stratus LE

Current model RANS Stratus XP

Current Easy Racer Tour Easy

Andrew
Andrew

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

I've recently finished building an AZ wildcat which is very similar in design. having the low pedal height (compared to my swb bent) is really comfortable. The wildcat has underseat steering so steering geometry is normal rather than heavily raked out which must take a bit of getting used to. I must weigh my bike as i doubt it's as light as the easyracer not that i would say mine was a problem. I've built a mesh seat also which i found to be more comfortable than a solid seat.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

A new LoGo Longfellow has come on the market locally ...

Andrew
Andrew