Springbrook - Any advice?

Crawf

Re: Springbrook - Any advice?

Postby Crawf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 pm

And another reason why I run tubeless.

Angus

Postby Angus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm

He stayed upright because he only used his rear brakes. That section is around 16% gradient - doesn't appear it in the video. I'm the guy in yellow at the very end and I was doing over 60 when it blew, he would have been doing similar. (small pothole - pinch). He did well to keep it up. And kudos to darkelf, great video with a good outcome. Rims weren't even damaged! Tyre had a wall split, $5 note got him to the bottom. I don't think tubeless would have helped him in this case.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Probably would have actually, stronger side walls.

mistertommyt

Postby mistertommyt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:43 am

I've been over from the UK and enjoying your beautiful countryside for the last few weeks. Of all the rides I've done, I think Springbrook is my favourite. My last time there I decided to ride both ascents. Having only ever descended Pine Creek before I thought I'd climb it this time and have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as the Springbrook road.

The profile if anyone's interested (Garmin ran out of juice on the way home)
http://www.strava.com/activities/97009098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Kudos, that is a very tough climb.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Crawf wrote:Probably would have actually, stronger side walls.
what tires and wheels are you using Shane?
pros/cons?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:05 am

I run Hutchinson Tubeless, currently 28mm, but have run all at some stage. When in hand its very noticeable comparing a tubeless tyres sidewall to say a GP4000 which is paper thing, so there is the chance that its more resilient to such vicious sidewall slashes.
There is also the benefit of running a UST/BST rim where if you get a massive an instant pressure loss from a slash, that the beads are locked in and your tyre wont roll off at such a dangerous moment leaving you with even less control, then there's the sealant which may aid in slowing down the pressure loss enough to give you a chance to not lose it.
Cons - Stiffer sidewalls may reduce ride quality but I haven't noticed?