The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

g-boaf

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.
Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:Well I actually do my own coffee at home, have quite a serious coffee setup as a few here know already.

And Maccas coffee is getting better than it was. I've had worse from very fancy inner city cafés charging huge prices.

Anyhow - back on topic. ;)
McCafe coffee is not bad, just bland as it caters for an average taste. There's little, if any, alternative for a coffee at the southern end of the M7 path and you can purchase a small coffee and banana bread for $5.45 when the special is on. :D

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am

Banana bread! What ever will they think of next,Cheese cake! :lol: Sorry could'nt resist.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am

group of riders this morning heading southbound on the western fwy bikeway through the roadwoards. they were riding 2 wide. definitely didn't make it safe for the 4 guys I was riding around (we were all riding single file). if you're on here, it's not wide enough for 2 wide, especially with the blind corners. please consider other path users.

redned

Postby redned » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

g-boaf wrote:Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.
I think he is talking about a pedestrian stepping out onto the road in front of a cyclist, in doing so passing pedestrians that had already stopped for traffic.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 pm

redned wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.
I think he is talking about a pedestrian stepping out onto the road in front of a cyclist, in doing so passing pedestrians that had already stopped for traffic.
Exactly.

g-boaf's just cranky I pointed out some stupidity in the thread about safe following distance. However, you'll be happy to know g-boaf that I identified the hazard, slowed and stopped in time to avoid a collision.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:
redned wrote:
Exactly.

g-boaf's just cranky I pointed out some stupidity in the thread about safe following distance. However, you'll be happy to know g-boaf that I identified the hazard, slowed and stopped in time to avoid a collision.
Good for you - oh so safe rider. Me cranky, never. :) You weren't pointing out stupidity, you were trolling against bunch riding, which is just about typical for a few usual suspects on here.

I'm sure the Police riders I've seen following each other closely would be interested to know they weren't doing the right thing.

I've had enough of this. I'm out of here and done with bike riding as well. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
redned wrote:

Exactly.

Good for you - oh so safe rider. Me cranky, never. :) You weren't pointing out stupidity, you were trolling against bunch riding, which is just about typical for a few usual suspects on here.

I'm sure the Police riders I've seen following each other closely would be interested to know they weren't doing the right thing.
I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...
OI onya bike!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...
That sounds something like what a troll would say.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Sorry luke is that directed at me?
OI onya bike!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Haha. Don't worry mate. I'm just joking around like I always do whenever some mentions the word Troll.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm

No worries Luke will remember that next time. Some people tend to throw the word around a bit.
OI onya bike!!!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2wqbt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

How do you get from that to him being a troll with a set on group riders? Why is that when you either don't like someone elses opinions or they touch a nerve that they are a troll?- you have said something similar to me in the past...
Just a bit of discontent from this post and others in that thread, nothing worth worrying about and not at all relevant to what I posted here.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Riding up the PSP where it crosses the freeway south on-ramp and comes out at Aberdeen Street, I had three morons who had come over the crest on the bridge, then started to flog it down the hill. All good except for the part where they cut the corner and missed me (going slowly uphill) by a whisker. Why can't people just ride to the conditions :roll:

Then riding down Aberdeen Street I get to Lake Street, there's a few peds around and a car who all stop to give way. Except one dumb female pedestrian who starts crossing in front of me on the other side of the road. Fine, I thought, she's going to stop in the median and wait? Nope, looks straight at me then walks straight out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes. A few choice words and I'm on my way again.
Maybe riding to conditions would help you avoid pedestrians more than the holier than thou attitude you have expressed towards the other riders. You've got to expect that pedestrians are going to charge out in front of you and pass them at no more than 5km/h - walking speed. Otherwise it is just asking for an accident. I am saying that in the hope it might save you from a collision with a pedestrian in the future.
Agree. (Though you come across a bit righteous there yourself g-boaf - hasty post?)

Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

Unless you are a new rider you should know that peds do this every day. Indeed they can be looking straight at you from a meter and still somehow fail to register.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

Unless you are a new rider you should know that peds do this every day. Indeed they can be looking straight at you from a meter and still somehow fail to register.
And then some people here have a go at me for using an AirZound on them. As I keep saying if they're annoyed at the airhorn, then they've actually worked out that there is someone else is their own little world.

*must fix my airhorn :( *

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 am

wellington_street wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:I obviously missed something in what redned originally posted.... he made 2 points 1 about a group of riders that cut a corner and nearly wiped him out and the other about a pedestrian that looked him in the eye and stepped out in front of him.

Just a bit of discontent from this post and others in that thread, nothing worth worrying about and not at all relevant to what I posted here.
Thanks I see what you mean.
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am

jasonc wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Peds should be should be thought of as a natural disaster - just waiting to happen and all we can do is accept it is the way it is and ride accordingly.

And then some people here have a go at me for using an AirZound on them. As I keep saying if they're annoyed at the airhorn, then they've actually worked out that there is someone else is their own little world.

*must fix my airhorn :( *
hmmmmm airhorn must look into one of those as my next accessory.... I have been meaning to get one for my motorcycle as well. :D
OI onya bike!!!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.
What do you suggest as an alternative? I have wheeled slowly up to a pedestrian at barely 5km/h because they couldn't hear my bell, or my voice. They then jumped about 6 feet in the air when I "suddenly appeared without warning".
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:35 pm

queequeg wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Air-horning pedestrians (even the silly ones) on shared paths is not the right way to go. Pedestrians do unexpected things, we just have to expect that and ride accordingly, not go around blasting them with air horns as a matter of course.
What do you suggest as an alternative? I have wheeled slowly up to a pedestrian at barely 5km/h because they couldn't hear my bell, or my voice. They then jumped about 6 feet in the air when I "suddenly appeared without warning".
I mean as a matter of course. I don't have a problem with what you did - you approached carefully and tried other means of communication first.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Agreed, pedestrians are not the enemy. Anyone getting about under their own steam instead of a car is on the right track.

Air horn them enough and they'll get back in their cars. With a very anti cyclist mindset.

Ultimately we reap what we sow. Slow down, share the path. Keep it friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:15 pm

On Shared Paths a bell or voice should be sufficient.

By my interpretation, the pedestrian in question was stepping out onto the street. Especially in the CBD, using a simple bell is not enough to garner a ped's attention. Having an AirZound, Hornit or similar can help break through the lack of situational awareness in the city.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

advantages
ipod effect - bell and voice fail
I can use the AZ further away

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Hmmmmm ok after reading some of the replies above.... still go with the airhorn but don't tell anyone on the forum that you use it.... problem fixed :D

On the serious side I singles peds are not too bad, but groups especially our lady friends that are 2 or 3 abreast and talking do not hear you when you use the voice or the bell. So it is either wait until you can get around them or get off and walk...
OI onya bike!!!