Training with Power - Practicalities

Toolish

Training with Power - Practicalities

Postby Toolish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I have had a power meter for about a year, but I definitely do not use it to its full capability. I have the training with power book and I understand the terms etc. But there are a couple of day to day things I need to do better.

Firstly I use WKO+ but I don't log data into WKO+ often enough. I use a Garmin 310XT, when I connect it to the computer it auto uploads to Garmin connect, is there a way to automatically send that same data to WKO+? Also, what sort of routine does everyone have to get data in there frequently. Nightly, weekly, as soon as you get off the bike?

Secondly my trainer FTP and my road FTP are miles apart. I am looking at increasing the inertia on my trainer to see if that helps as I have good cooling, but currently I am over 10% less FTP on the trainer. Is that something to worry about regarding TSS for the PMC etc? if so, how do you manage it?

skull

Re: Training with Power - Practicalities

Postby skull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm

You need to log it. Otherwise you can't track your fitness and form.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Leeroy

Postby Leeroy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Not sure about Garmin connect as I don't use that but saving into WKO is fairly painless using the PowerAgent software which you can download for free from TP website. I use this for my wired SRM and Garmin files from my Powertap wheel. Because I'm lazy and generally know roughly how hard the ride was I don't usually download the ride data more than once a week.

I don't think you are unusual in finding it hard to put out as much power on the trainer - just keep trying to keep the power up best you can based on your usual FTP or slightly less. All I can suggest is to make sure you have good cooling, loud music and a good trainer. I have a Kurt Kinetic and the road feel is excellent. Sufferfest or trainer road workouts on the computer are good too.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I use Golden Cheetah and it is upload as soon as I get home from ride, race or work (when it is a commute/training ride to or from)

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 pm

uploading: It's not critical to do it daily, but i do. You could feasibly leave it for a few days and do a couple of files at a time so long as you're not at a point in your program where you need to be micromanaging your CTL or ATL.

trainer FTP vs real world FTP: This can be multi-faceted, but typically it's down to inadequate cooling (you say you've already got this covered) or that you simply aren't used to time-trialling. also, your real world numbers could be from races or KOM attempts and may have significant anaerobic performances (of my top 10 60min average powers, many are on the track and are highly ON-OFF so they're not applicable for use as FTP). lastly, the different inertial loads of climbing VS the trainer can be a factor, but i think you can roll that up with becoming better at timetrialling.

long term, i suggest picking a standard workout that doubles as an FTP test. i'm a fan of 2x20 (AT) 90-105%. do it regularly, get used to it, regularly go all out, say monthly, and use that to derive your FTP.

donncha

Postby donncha » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 pm

I upload to WKO after every ride. I add a few notes as well while it's fresh in my mind.

I note temperature and wind strength & direction, then write down what the intended session was and what I actually did, or how I felt during the session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 am

My indoor trainer FTP is about 10% less than my outdoor training FTP, because I get bored on a trainer. No focus = bad results.

My FTP from training is about 10% less than my FTP from a TT or calculated from a TT effort. I am fortunate enough to TT weekly November to March and no matter what I try in training I can't get the same power for the same length of time for a training session.

My FTP calculated from my best efforts over 20 (or 30) minutes, which are all criterium are about 10% higher than an FTP calculated from a TT

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 am

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... ining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;