Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

The Fixer

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby The Fixer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:43 pm

A few more grams to go from the 'Clipper'... sourced a nice set of alloy pedals (with toe-clips) to
replace the original 'rat-teeth' jobbies.

They're branded 'Hung Kuang VP-381', and appear to be quite reasonably-made. Should be good after a
bit of a clean-up. They certainly look the part, at least, and are from the correct period, apparently.

Damn thing's about 5lb lighter now than when I started, and it shows when riding it.

Same as these... but mine have toe-clips and reflectors, and are as good (for $0.00) as these for E15 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HUNG-KUANG-PAIRE ... 4ac14f16c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Warning: This post isn't entirely 'retro'....

OK, I was on my way home from work today, riding my early-model Apollo Summit MTB. Spotted this little LBS, and noticed that he was
an Apollo dealership, so I went in for a chat and a look-see.

Shouldn't have!!! We had a good chat about the older Apollos, which I enjoyed.

BUT.....

Spotted THIS..... I want!!! Not sure if this is the exact model, but I'm in love!!

(Link: http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes13/allo ... nMvWrPxskJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:53 pm

That rear down-tube needs to swallow about 3" of seat post, or the stem needs to come up at least 2" to make it rideable, tho.

I'm a motorcycle-crash-damaged 56 year old, not an 18 year old.

And even as a youngster, I could NEVER get to grips with such an excessively head-down-bum-up riding position.

(Strangely, though, most of my motorcycles have been 'café-racers', with rear-set footrests and linkages and clip-on
handlebars down near the bottom triple-clamps. Go figure...).

Still like it, tho....

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 pm

The Apollo VI is back together albeit with a make-over and some equipment upgrades. It is no longer badged as an Apollo and some ( faithful to the marque) might consider this point somewhat sac-religious. I was unable to find original Apollo decals and so I decided to put Nagasawa decals on the frame as they are gold and are fairly consistent with the original Apollo VI colour scheme. This decision was made before I had even laid eyes on this web site. So to those who might be offended, please accept my apologies. Nagasawa is the maker of fine Kieren track racing frames in Japan and the application of these decals is to pay homage to those frames as well. I fully admit that this is an Apollo VI frame built by Kuwahara of Ishiwata 019 tube. Nagasawa also made the odd road frame here and there but is mostly noted for his Kieren frames. "Immitation is the highest form of praise". Having said that, this is a quality bike in any case.
The decals have been placed on the frame consistent with Nagasawa san's application.

The following items which have been upgraded (being faithful to Suntour) are Superbe Pro.

Hidden spring brake calipers;
Indexed Rear Derailleur;
Later model clamp on Front Derailleur;
New 6/7 speed index shifters & cables;
Seat post;
New chainrings 42T/52T
New hubs 32H;

The following items have also been fitted:

Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti pedals;
New Selle Italia saddle;
NOS Mavic Argent 10 tubular rims 32H and SS double butted spokes;
New Veloflex Sprinter tubular tyres;
NOS Suntour Winner 13-18T freewheel;
New chain Whipperman Connex full nickel;
New bearing catridges to bottom bracket;
New ball bearings to head set.

Colour: Subaru Arctic White Pearl Code: 36J

Photos can be viewed on the following link:

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/class ... incarnated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the edits are my attempts to get the slide show up!
Last edited by Classiciron on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
If there's something you can do about it, do it. If theres nothing you can do, don't worry.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:04 pm

The Fixer wrote:I was talking to a friend of my late brother today.

He was admiring the 'Clipper. I asked him if he still had his old bike.

I'd ridden it a few times in the late 1980s, but couldn't remember much about it.

'Oh, yes' he said. He'd been thinking of asking me to refurb it for him.

Couldn't remember what it was , so asked....

A 1980 Apollo III (?)...Virtually mint. Original owner since new!!!!

Negotiations are in progress.....

UPDATE: It's an 11/79 Apollo II. All alloy except the wheels.

It's metallic gold, and is beautiful, clean (ok putrid, but a wash will fix that) and original.

You'd go a LONG way to find a cleaner, more original, one-owner example.

I will post before & after pics once the rebuild starts...
Last edited by The Fixer on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Classiciron wrote:The Apollo VI is back together albeit with a make-over and some equipment upgrades. It is no longer badged as an Apollo and some ( faithful to the marque) might consider this point somewhat sac-religious. I was unable to find original Apollo decals and so I decided to put Nagasawa decals on the frame as they are gold and are fairly consistent with the original Apollo VI colour scheme. This decision was made before I had even laid eyes on this web site. So to those who might be offended, please accept my apologies. Nagasawa is the maker of fine Kieren track racing frames in Japan and the application of these decals is to pay homage to those frames as well. I fully admit that this is an Apollo VI frame built by Kuwahara of Ishiwata 019 tube. Nagasawa also made the odd road frame here and there but is mostly noted for his Kieren frames. "Immitation is the highest form of praise". Having said that, this is a quality bike in any case.
The decals have been placed on the frame consistent with Nagasawa san's application.

The following items which have been upgraded (being faithful to Suntour) are Superbe Pro.

Hidden spring brake calipers;
Indexed Rear Derailleur;
Later model clamp on Front Derailleur;
New 6/7 speed index shifters & cables;
Seat post;
New chainrings 42T/52T
New hubs 32H;

The following items have also been fitted:

Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti pedals;
New Selle Italia saddle;
NOS Mavic Argent 10 tubular rims 32H and SS double butted spokes;
New Veloflex Sprinter tubular tyres;
NOS Suntour Winner 13-18T freewheel;
New chain Whipperman Connex full nickel;
New bearing catridges to bottom bracket;
New ball bearings to head set.

Colour: Subaru Arctic White Pearl Code: 36J

Photos can be viewed on the following link.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag1 ... 881bab.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, that is beautiful.

WELL done!

Mick.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Another few kays on 'Delie'... rolling well.

Really should strip and service her, she's still being ridden as-found... NAUGHTY Fixer! (Slaps self),

But she's just soooo nice....

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:17 pm

All of my Apollos are 'boys' but today I scored a nice little lady to keep them company...

I haven't 'dated' her yet, but suspect around the same as the 'Clipper' (1990).

Rear brake is seized (cable) and she needs a full strip/service, but she is rideable.

The 'boys' will go wild... ;-)

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

death valley 69 wrote:http://i42.tinypic.com/2gw7505.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/21nqdqe.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To add to bychosis, I bought one of these new in the mid 90s, would have been 95 or 96, mine came with 2x7sp RSX STI, generic brakes/crankset though.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 am

Yes, just checked mine and the 'full RSX' was a bit wrong. as above RSX except tektro brakes and unbranded crankset. Did have RSX hubs until I switched them out
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Kermit TF wrote:

Yes, please put the 600 gear back on, pleeeease ! The "IV" is to precious not to be brought back to some sorta former glory. :P
Finally got around to it for all you Apollo fiends. Nearly complete 600 Arabesque, townie bars and brake levers (in my opinion the IV's best application is as a townie), 7sp Suntour Winner freewheel - this bike runs soooooo nice now.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Now thats sweeeeeeeet. Love it.
No decals ?? :wink:
When in doubt......mumble.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 am

The decals were cracking so I decided to remove them, plus this model IV has such a nice finish I think those bold letters only detract from it. I am waiting for a Tange 2 ST decal to arrive from Cyclomondo however, just for that finishing touch ;)

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:39 am

Very nice! :wink:

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 pm

The 1990 'Clipper' underwent her 'first' service this afternoon. Just 200km since brand new. And it shows.
minor tweaks, and the replacement of a cancer-riddled 1981-vintage rear tyre. Nothing more.
Isn't she lovely??? (bear in mind she was rescued as a rusty unrideable wreck literally metres away from the crusher).

Some may think she's a BSO, to them I recommend the 'Far Queue'...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 pm

If rescuing one of those prevent the purchase and therefore manufacture of a new BSO then I say that is a win.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:13 pm

bychosis wrote:If rescuing one of those prevent the purchase and therefore manufacture of a new BSO then I say that is a win.

She's nothing special, Bychosis.

But she WAS worth rescuing from the skip she was destined for...

I ride her every day, and that's what she was built for...

She's no Colnago or such, but nor does she pretend to be.

She is what she is, a rare, VGC, tricked-up cheapie from the 80s, nothing more.

And she fills that job description like she was built for it...

And I love her..... for what she is, not what she isn't, or may have been.....

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Exactly my point, better an old BSO or low end bike than a new BSO. At least 'they built them properly back then'. Other than shininess in the beginning the old bikes will last as long as a new BSO, or probably longer.

johnnyjoejoejr

Postby johnnyjoejoejr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Long time reader, first time poster....

I have an Apollo Jaguar, mid-late 80's I think. Was rescued from the tip, added new tyres, pedals and bar tape, will post photos soon.

Plans for it include townie bars, internal-geared hub and a respray, when I save the money from not using public transport daily.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 am

Welcome, Johnny, looking forward to seeing the pics.

johnnyjoejoejr

Postby johnnyjoejoejr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Here it is, each time I look at it, I instantly regret the colour choice of tape.

Sticker on the downtube says it was sold and serviced at Melton Cycles, I should probably check that it isn't stolen!

dillyboy

Postby dillyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 pm

My "new" Apollo Eclipse - bought for the vast sum of $25:

Haven't done much beyond tyres, bar tape & pedals yet - just wanted to get her rideable then will see how things go.

Don't really know too much about the bike - it has a "Glenroy Cycles" sticker on it though so as to how it ended up in a junk-heap in Brisbane is anyone's guess.

Not sure what was standard for the period but it has Dia-Compe brakes, Alesa wheels with Sachs hubs.

Next plan is to clean up the oxidisation on the spokes & hubs, get a better saddle then put as many km's on her as possible.

I know it's nothing too fancy, but for less then $200 all up so far I'm ahppy
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 am

Nice pick-ups there, Dillyboy and Johnny. :) :)

Dillyboy, that fluoro green reminds me of the fluoro orange (now badly faded) on my 'Clipper' (see pic above).

They must have had a bit of a 'fluoro fling' around then...

dillyboy

Postby dillyboy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:44 am

Fluro is the new black!!

(and the way I see it, if you're bright enough you have less chance ending up as road kill)
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

dillyboy wrote:Fluro is the new black!!

(and the way I see it, if you're bright enough you have less chance ending up as road kill)

Can't argue with that. :D