Tubus rack: Do I need this missing part?

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 am

I purchased a Tubus Duo rack from Wiggle and upon opening the item I find there is a missing part in the parts bag. There should be 2 metal lugs that are required for some panniers. However there is only one in the order I received. I have advised Wiggle thinking they would just send the $1.00 replacement part to me but they want me to send the whole item back to them.
It seems to be quite a hassle to have this returned and another replacement made.
The picture shows the missing part circled in red. I don't have panniers yet and if the purchase I eventually make don't require them I won't bother with the return. Can anyone tell me what panniers would require this part?

RonK

Re: Tubus rack: Do I need this missing part?

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:53 pm

TCAT wrote:I purchased a Tubus Duo rack from Wiggle and upon opening the item I find there is a missing part in the parts bag. There should be 2 metal lugs that are required for some panniers. However there is only one in the order I received. I have advised Wiggle thinking they would just send the $1.00 replacement part to me but they want me to send the whole item back to them.
It seems to be quite a hassle to have this returned and another replacement made.
The picture shows the missing part circled in red. I don't have panniers yet and if the purchase I eventually make don't require them I won't bother with the return. Can anyone tell me what panniers would require this part?
That is a hook used for certain types of panniers (such as Arkel) which use an elastic shock cord and hook arrangement for the bottom . If you are using Ortliebs they are not required.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:52 pm

If you do need one, I'd have plenty of spares...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:51 pm

RonK wrote:If you do need one, I'd have plenty of spares...
+1

I've thrown a few out as well. Buy Ortlieb and it's a needless part.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Very quick reply RonK. Thanks
il padrone wrote: ............ Buy Ortlieb and it's a needless part.
I was thinking of purchasing Ortlieb but I tried my back panniers that have the QL2 mounting system and the bottom latch is under some stress to fit over the larger diameter tubing of the Duo. Perhaps the latch can cope with this but I would prefer that things fits snugly.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:32 pm

There are special larger clips for the lower latch.

These are for the QL1 mounts and fit 16mm rack rails (like the Duo's lower loop and the Tara's front hoop). I'd think there should be a similar clip for the QL2 mounts - maybe not??

It is not a huge issue anyway. My wife's front panniers are similarly stressed and she's been using the front panniers with the standard latch for about 6-8 years. The rack parts are amazingly tough and resilient and easily withstand a bit of gentle bending. I've had the front panniers drop one upper hook off in a stack and twisted more than 90 degrees still attached to the remaining hook. They've just sprung back with no lasting damage. 8)
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:51 am

TCAT wrote:Very quick reply RonK. Thanks
il padrone wrote: ............ Buy Ortlieb and it's a needless part.
I tried my back panniers that have the QL2 mounting system and the bottom latch is under some stress to fit over the larger diameter tubing of the Duo.
Quite right - I got rid of my Duo for exactly that reason and replaced it with an Ergo (which I still have but don't use anymore since I went to the stainless steel Nova).

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Wider hooks are not sold for the QL2 mounting system. However I saw it was suggested somewhere that you could fit the lower hooks on instead of over the rail to accommodate racks with large diameter tubing.

Like this...

Instead of this...

I never tried it myself - as mentioned I replaced the Duo with an Ergo and onsold the Duo with my old touring bike.