First Roadie - Cell vs Polygon

higgalls

First Roadie - Cell vs Polygon

Postby higgalls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Hey,

So I currently have a Polygon Xtrada 5.0 Mountain Bike (with Hybrid tyres) and it has been a great bike, but it is time for a road bike (and the wife is softening to it).

Since I have had really good dealings with Polygon (Indonesian based, and produce some of the top bikes for other companies) through their Australian dealer bicyclesonline.com.au, I thought I would check them out first.

They have the Polygon Helios C6.0, which is a full carbon bike, with mostly Shimano 105 componentry. Details can be found here: http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... imano-105/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I then looked around a bit more and came across the Cell Victor, which is a full carbon bike, with full Shimano Ultegra. Details can be found here: http://www.this link is broken/Cell-2013-V ... gory=12632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Price wise, they are not too different (about $100). I have read some bad things about some Cell bikes in these forums, which puts me off a bit.

What do you guys think will be better, and why? Obviously the Ultegra componentry is better than the 105, but is there more to it? From what I read, the Poloygon seems to have a more relaxed frame for the rider, meaning it is more for comfort and endurance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Chris :)

rodneycc

Re: First Roadie - Cell vs Polygon

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Higgalls, I'm not that familiar with the Polygons but the online sales for them have caught my eye from time to time. I'd reckon the comparable bike would be this one below with the Cell one you mentioned:

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... o-ultegra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without riding them, the spec on that Polygon one for an extra $100 is really nice for the money (as well as the Cell).

But if I was paying that amount of money I'd be wanting a good fit and test ride first before handing over any of my hard earned $$$.

(Other brands that might be worth a look would be The Giant defy Composite range and the Cannondale SuperSix (or even the CAAD10))

Just my opinion. But I'm sure there are others.
- Rod.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Why not:

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... 20-wheels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really a significant difference, except the price. 105 is good enough. I would choose it to save $300 :). Geometry hmmm... you can make almost any bike fit and there does not appear to be that much difference in geometry between the two anyway. Do pilates and build up your core strength then it become almost a moot point - unless you plan on riding 300km+ audax rides.

My only complaint with Polygon is anyone who can actually push 53/11 is probably looking to buy something else. Need compact cranks!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Both those Polygon models are standard crankset (39-53), where as the Cell is a compact (34-50). Being your first road bike I highly recommend you get a compact chainset (unless you plan to never ride up hills).

You might want to consider the Cycling Express Forza Elite 105 ($1299):

https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... -Road-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:09 pm

PS - I was just about to say the Geo's were slight diff as well mind you so depending on your comfort level....

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:28 pm

yeah the Azzurri's are always brillantly priced. Backed by Lear Sport. Not a bad package that for a full carbon.

higgalls

Postby higgalls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions so far.

The other one I was looking at is the Polygon Helios C4.0, which uses a compact crankset, and has a Carbon fork.

What do you think: http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... rbon-fork/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm

higgalls wrote:Thanks guys for your suggestions so far.

The other one I was looking at is the Polygon Helios C4.0, which uses a compact crankset, and has a Carbon fork.

What do you think: http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... rbon-fork/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My first roadie was a Giant OCR2 ali, carbon fork and Tiagra-ish 9 speed/triple. Did ~20,000km and loved it. I also hired a Trek Madone 2.1 to do a 216km audax ride on in the UK a couple of months ago - was a very nice ride. Nothing wrong with aluminium.

It all depends on what you want it for. All the bikes mentioned will be fine for road riding. I don't think any of the wheels would be up to regular commuting if you are carrying gear (laptops etc). The only reason to get better than 105 (or even tiagra) is for racing. Also, if you do go the C4.0 it can always be a rain/spare/trainer/turbo bike if you get a full carbon etc

Then again, if the AU$ goes south - which it looks as if it will do, you might be better off buying carbon now...?

higgalls

Postby higgalls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm

simonn wrote: My first roadie was a Giant OCR2 ali, carbon fork and Tiagra-ish 9 speed/triple. Did ~20,000km and loved it. I also hired a Trek Madone 2.1 to do a 216km audax ride on in the UK a couple of months ago - was a very nice ride. Nothing wrong with aluminium.

It all depends on what you want it for. All the bikes mentioned will be fine for road riding. I don't think any of the wheels would be up to regular commuting if you are carrying gear (laptops etc). The only reason to get better than 105 (or even tiagra) is for racing. Also, if you do go the C4.0 it can always be a rain/spare/trainer/turbo bike if you get a full carbon etc

Then again, if the AU$ goes south - which it looks as if it will do, you might be better off buying carbon now...?
Thanks for that suggestion. The issue is that I don't want to buy something now, and then decide in a year or two that I want something better. It just won't fly with the wife (and I think rightfully so).

Whilst I will be using it to commute, I don't carry any real load. Most of my stuff stays in the office (including my laptop), and if I do need anything else, I will put it in a very small bag on my back.

So I guess one of the questions is, will I really benefit from spending more money and going full carbon, or should I just go with the C4.0 which has a Carbon Fork. I won't be doing any competitive racing, although I will go on probably 2 organised rides per year (just did the 50KM Spring Cycle on my Mountain Bike, with hybrid tyres, easily).

But the consideration too is the comfort, and whether a compact crankset will be a huge benefit to me (I am not a big guy - around 60kg). With my MTB, I never use half my easier gears (I have a 29 speed one).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 pm

No not to my liking this one. This one falls into a very good competitive market (the alumin + carbon fork). You can get some great cheap value for money bikes of the same/similar spec for $550-800 (see the Reid Falco range and Cell Swift and Team for example). So if you go the alumin Polygon you may as well spend a little extra and get a really good brand bike like the Giant Defy 1 or one of the Cannondale CAAD10 range (in my recent bike buying opinion!). But still remember fit and feel is everything before all else (different strokes for diff folks as they say).