Does this Rear Wheel exist?

Vaderico

Does this Rear Wheel exist?

Postby Vaderico » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm looking for a very specific wheel.
I ride a Singlespeed / Fixie at the moment and am looking to upgrade it to a 5 speed internal gear hub.

However there is a specific criteria I am after;
There are three things I am looking for, but am unsure where to start looking:

1 - Have a disc brake on the hub

2 - Be a deep dish style rim, sized 700c

3 - Coloured Black

I am not too fussed which make of internal geared hub to buy, whichever one fits the criteria I am willing to buy.
Also If a hub can meet these requirements that has a slightly different amount of gears, then I wouldn't mind too much

If someone has the experience / knowledge to lend me a hand, I would be forever grateful.

richbee

Re: Does this Rear Wheel exist?

Postby richbee » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:54 am

SRAM have an i-3 internal geared disc hub you could get built into a wheel of your specification. 'tis only a 3 speed hub tho.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

Sturmey Archer is about the only maker of 5-speeds, and I don't know if they do disc mount.
Shimano if you can handle 8 or 11.
SRAM for 8 or 9.
Rolhoff if you need 14.
But most of the latter will be wider OLD spacing than an existing singlespeed wheel. No biggie if you have a steel frame, it can be reset.

I reckon you'll be up for a custom build if you want deep dish AND hub gear, but this is about the cheapest complete wheel I know of:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=62210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not deep though.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

Shimano Alfine 8 speed is the closest you'll find I think and it comes in black, but you would have the get the wheel built up from scratch. Not sure how readily available the spokes would be though.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/shimano- ... d-hub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 pm

One possible issue with a deep dish and an alfine 8 is that due to the pitch circle diameter of the hub (92.6 mm) you end up with a significant angle at the rim, or more accurately the angle between the spoke and the nipple. I was having issues with a shallow rim Mavic A719. The way I addressed it was using sapim spokes with polyax nipples

A deep dish will only make the angle worse. I haven't built wheels with a deep dish so couldn't say whether the polyax nipples would still avoid any issues.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

MattyK wrote:Sturmey Archer is about the only maker of 5-speeds, and I don't know if they do disc mount.
Sturmey Archer 5 speeds with a disc brake come in 4 flavours - high flange, low flange, & repeat with a 9 spline driver. All have a 135 mm old though
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Nexus 7/8 (if you can find them) or Alfine 8 are your best bet. You can get the alfine in a wheel package so all you do is put it on and attach the cables.

*Edit: forgot about the dish. You should be able to get custom spokes but I would have to know that the wheel builder is very experienced.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm

This is a deep dish wheel:

Just saying.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.