Moron Motorists #3

g-boaf

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:43 pm

That's a serious accident waiting to happen. When the vehicle is in that state - it shouldn't be roadworthy.

At the least - there should be an interlock to prevent the vehicle exceeding 10km/h while such devices are deployed.

GregW

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:47 pm

hannos wrote: Report him to the company. mention OH&S, Worksafe etc. That should make them scamper around and fix things.
Don't let them call your bluff either :twisted:
human909 wrote: If you want action make a work cover complaint. Reporting of near misses is compulsory and work cover includes members of the public and whistle blowers.
g-boaf wrote:That's a serious accident waiting to happen. When the vehicle is in that state - it shouldn't be roadworthy.

At the least - there should be an interlock to prevent the vehicle exceeding 10km/h while such devices are deployed.
To be quite honest when I caught up to him I was ....well can we put it as irate.
Have sent an email to the company (Tuesday 5th Nov) mentioning OS&H, their work practices, the drivers attitude, and questioned if there is or supposed to be an speed governed automatic retraction.
I will wait a few days for a response, if none then warn them again before taking it further.
Even though i was quite vocal with the driver, I reckon it is better to deal in house....company practices defined, driver made to be totally aware of this dangerous practice, and a copy of their next safety meeting minutes to satisfy me that the issue has been addressed in full and preferably industry wide. Company happy, driver cautioned, but keeps job, I'm happy, and a potential safety issue addressed.
If they don't.....well OH&S next, but as suggested by human....... a suggestion of an unroadworthy report may be in order.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm

You've emailed them. If no response go straight to workcover, oh&s etc. No need to email twice.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
2010 BMC SLC01

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:42 pm

OK, so I spent most of last week enjoying all that the Snowy Mountains have to offer in way of motorcycle nirvana.

2nd ride back on the pushy today and I get not only a numpty driver but also a moron cyclist (if you could call him a cyclist)

Enjoy.......

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 pm

GregW wrote:
That is a really worrying trend that is starting to appear. These things absolutely must be failsafe!!! Operators who allow such faults to occur must be hammered by the authorities :x
Commercial vehicles are becoming more of an issue as business owners and drivers scamper to save time and make more money.
Perth roads are littered (and some unrideable) with the amount of material not secured for transit.
I ride through an industrial area once a week, and can't believe the quantity of nuts, bolts and truck parts on the road.
This truck drove past me at 60kph earlier this week......with the bin lifting mechanism not retracted. Caught up to the driver a kilometer down the road.....his reaction ...stiff bickies, just get out of the way then I'm in a hurry mate!!
Can understand the need for not retracting on local collections when they are not passing anyone, but I can not believe that automatic retraction is not speed regulated.

Image[/quote]
I'm surprised by this. As a truck mechanic by trade I've been called out to a few garbage trucks with complaints of engines derating or cutting out. Nearly all of them came down to faulty or out of adjustment limit switches on the bin lifters. But if you're an operator willing to cut corners then I guess it wouldn't be hard to bypass it. Reminds me of the lyrics from a Disturbed song "leaves us with another way to die".
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

AKO wrote: Commercial vehicles are becoming more of an issue as business owners and drivers scamper to save time and make more money.
Perth roads are littered (and some unrideable) with the amount of material not secured for transit.
I ride through an industrial area once a week, and can't believe the quantity of nuts, bolts and truck parts on the road.
This truck drove past me at 60kph earlier this week......with the bin lifting mechanism not retracted. Caught up to the driver a kilometer down the road.....his reaction ...stiff bickies, just get out of the way then I'm in a hurry mate!!
Can understand the need for not retracting on local collections when they are not passing anyone, but I can not believe that automatic retraction is not speed regulated.

I'm surprised by this. As a truck mechanic by trade I've been called out to a few garbage trucks with complaints of engines derating or cutting out. Nearly all of them came down to faulty or out of adjustment limit switches on the bin lifters. But if you're an operator willing to cut corners then I guess it wouldn't be hard to bypass it. Reminds me of the lyrics from a Disturbed song "leaves us with another way to die".
If in Queensland, that one is prima facie 'dangerous operation of a vehicle'. First offence carries a potential 3 year or 200 PU sentence. Kill someone while doing it and you're looking at a potential 10 years.

This assumes that the police can be bothered to prosecute and the jury actually possesses the sense to convict on those facts.

CalvinAndHobbes

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

My first post to this thread - unfortunately not my first MM though.

Out for a morning ride and on my way home, heading from Palm Beach south. As I approached Newport, down the hill, 2 vehicle pass me - the first is fine, but the second, a white ute, was way too close.

Any point in reporting him to the police? Still waiting for a response on a near dooring incident I reported, and don't know if this one is even worth it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:04 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:the first is fine, but the second, a white ute, was way too close.

Any point in reporting him to the police? Still waiting for a response on a near dooring incident I reported, and don't know if this one is even worth it.
agree it was too close. it's worth reporting. even if it's noted down somewhere on someone's file, it's worth reporting

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Well according to a recent video in this thread, you crossed the white line, hence it was your failure to give way.

Which is something i have always thought about while riding in areas with a shoulder/white line, every time you "leave" the road, you basically give up your right of way.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Always ride to the right of the white line wherever possible. Use a rear-view mirror to make judgement calls about whether it is necessary/wise to go to the left.

In that scenario, with a mirror you could have assessed there were two cars behind and then stayed left until the white ute had passed (or sit to the right of the line for both).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am

il padrone wrote:Always ride to the right of the white line wherever possible. Use a rear-view mirror to make judgement calls about whether it is necessary/wise to go to the left.

In that scenario, with a mirror you could have assessed there were two cars behind and then stayed left until the white ute had passed (or sit to the right of the line for both).
If you have a drop bar roadie, look at the Italian road bike mirror. I have one and love it. It's big enough to be effective but small enough to be discreet. It's fiddly to set up but invaluable once set up properly.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Why is it that people who feel the need to commemorate their lost loved ones by placing RIP stickers on their cars are the ones seemingly most likely to cause me to be resting in pieces? :( Not malice on this occasion, just cluelessness/DGAF.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:08 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Why is it that people who feel the need to commemorate their lost loved ones by placing RIP stickers on their cars are the ones seemingly most likely to cause me to be resting in pieces? :( Not malice on this occasion, just cluelessness/DGAF.
I've noticed that too, darkly ironic that the vast majority of cars I've seen with RIP covering the whole back window are driven erratically at high speed.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Why is it that people who feel the need to commemorate their lost loved ones by placing RIP stickers on their cars are the ones seemingly most likely to cause me to be resting in pieces? :( Not malice on this occasion, just cluelessness/DGAF.
That's because it's car customisation.

Car customisation is a leading predictor of poor driver behaviour. The reasoning according to the research is that those who customise cars have greater difficulty distinguishing between private space (the inside of their car) and public or shared space (the road outside their car) and tend to treat the public space as an extension of "their" private space. The accompanying entitlement mentality directly leads to aggressive behaviour towards perceived interlopers and those who fail to follow perceived norms.

The scary thing is that customisation as trivial as a bumper sticker has been demonstrated to predict this outcome. :(

This is not to say all drivers of customised vehicles will road rage all the time, just that it predicts a statistically significant upward shift in the likelihood of being involved in incidents of aggression and rad rage to other road users.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Beware those flying Australian flags around Australia day (or any day).

The 4WDers running big mudflaps with the 'naked lady' silhouettes. The urban SUVs with the "My Family" icons on the rear window. The "baby on board" signs.

All good bogan-tags too, I reckon :P
Mandatory helmet law?

QUARMIN

Postby QUARMIN » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 pm

this just seriously is a big weak lycra wearing mothers group isnt it???... seriously..... think i might have change my objectives here

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 pm

QUARMIN wrote:this just seriously is a big weak lycra wearing mothers group isnt it???... seriously..... think i might have change my objectives here
How about an objective to improve your tenuous grasp of the English language? 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 pm

QUARMIN wrote:think i might have change my objectives here
I'm guessing a stealth takeover isn't on the cards?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 pm

QUARMIN wrote:this just seriously is a big weak lycra wearing mothers group isnt it???... seriously..... think i might have change my objectives here
Touched a raw nerve eh??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?

CalvinAndHobbes

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:43 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:My first post to this thread - unfortunately not my first MM though.

Out for a morning ride and on my way home, heading from Palm Beach south. As I approached Newport, down the hill, 2 vehicle pass me - the first is fine, but the second, a white ute, was way too close.

Because the company name is clearly visible as the white vehicle passes, I sent the following to their "Contact Us" details:

"Please don't pass cyclists so closely. On Thursday morning on the road from Avalon to Newport your vehicle with registration MAX 22G passed me very closely. This is an extremely unsafe thing to do - I only had to hit a small stone or other thing in the road and I would have been under you vehicle, probably dead.
If a cyclist is in the road and you have to go around them, please remember that we are not trying to make your life difficult or slow you down - it will be because it is not safe to be further over - because of debris in the road, unsafe surface, parked cars that could have their door opened or many other reasons.
I have young children and a wife who want me to be home every night, not dead.

Please, please leave 1.5 m between your vehicle and cyclists when you pass them."

I expect to get some bogan response back, but we will see.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Calvin
d get
That was an outstanding response. I would think that you should at least get a reasonable response for your trouble, and I used a similar argument to the bricklayer that decided a similar action, that I caught up with shortly thereafter.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Just wait until one of those near misses ... isn't.

Seriously, you're behaving like a clueless bogan who doesn't seem to understand what can happen to you in a collision with a car. That's not strong or brave, it's simply ignorant.

It's the guys who know what the price of failure is, and choose to go anyway, who have real courage. I hope you don't have to learn that the hard way but with your posts so far, I don't think it will take long.

I'd suggest sticking to the footpath mate.

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Just ignore him you fools.
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:00 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:My first post to this thread - unfortunately not my first MM though.

You are likly to get fined if you report that. Flipping each side of the shoulder line is a big legal no-no. The law says you have to give way when moving from shoulder across shoulder line back into the lane.

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:22 pm

il padrone wrote:Beware those flying Australian flags around Australia day (or any day).

The 4WDers running big mudflaps with the 'naked lady' silhouettes. The urban SUVs with the "My Family" icons on the rear window. The "baby on board" signs.

All good bogan-tags too, I reckon :P
From

http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201201234297 ... -car-flags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

University News
Study shows racist views link to car flags

People who fly Australia Day flags on their cars tend to express more racist attitudes than others without flags, according to research findings at The University of Western Australia.

UWA sociologist and anthropologist Professor Farida Fozdar and a team of assistants surveyed 513 people at last year's Australia Day fireworks on Perth's Swan River foreshore.

One in five said they had attached flags to their cars to celebrate Australia Day.

Professor Fozdar said 43 per cent of those with car flags said they believed the now-abandoned White Australia Policy had saved Australia from many problems experienced by other countries, while only 25 per cent without flags agreed.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork