My First crit race !!

TREKKER_MIKE

My First crit race !!

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey All,

after finishing the sydney to gong, the bug had well and truly bitten and i had decided i wanted to do more with cycling apart from the coffee rides/training. Tuesday i purchased a race license and Saturday i was racing.

My first race was at Lansdowne Park in E grade, there was only 4 of us. I was hopeful to stick with them for one lap, and after doing a sighting lap i saw the long gradual hills i figured my Chunky figure was going to have a hard time and if i could do the one lap i would be stoked.

Anyway - the race started, and i managed to stick with the group for 20mins of the 35 in the race and even took my turn at the front for at least a lap to a lap and a half. Maybe they were taking it easy on me, who knows. But i was dropped eventually and finished miles behind the group but i had the biggest grin on my face. I exceeded my personal expectations, and my average speed was faster than i have ever been before.

I am hooked, great fun riding in the group, great motivation to train hard and aim to increase my average speed/endurance.

I reckon if anyone liked cycling gave this a go they would be back every week

See you at a crit soon guys.
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

foo on patrol

Re: My First crit race !!

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Good on you Trekker but tell me this! You didn't do a full lap on the front did you? :?

You only do a couple of hundred metres max and I don't care what anyone else says, that is ample unless, you're trying to hurt people. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey Foo - Not a chance, i took my turn on the flatter stuff and let them drag me up the hill, one time i took my turn at the front going up the hill.

even though i am new to it, i know that pulling everyone along by myself would have been suicide

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Great effort Mike....fully addicted now!!!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I almost started my crit racing career a few weeks back - 1st race was a Monday night, but the Saturday before i cracked my top tube. Whilst i'm waiting for the frame to be fixed i've still been going to watch. I'm trying to pick up all the tips i can. A mate started racing at the same time. He won his grade in the 1st few weeks, but it was pointed out that he didn't lead all race until the last 50 metres. The next week he thought he'd do his share & led for a lap & a half. He ended up just about lapped! There's plenty to learn.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm

You did well, Mike. The best part of your ride was that you stuck with the bunch for a while, rode a line, took turns and stuck with it till the end. Keep it up and you'll be up in D soon.

Pretty soon we'll have the velodrome back in operation. You'll learn some good skills if you get out there and have a go at that. See you in two weeks, dude. If we are still using SOP you'll like that: it's flat.

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 am

Good stuff!

Also - great job for finishing the race too. I see sooo many people get dropped, then pull straight out of the race. Keeping on going is a great way to build your resolve, improve your fitness and get to know the course better!

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm

There is no point stopping, i could use the training, and a great place to get some extra riding in.....off the roads

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:53 pm

TREKKER_MIKE wrote:Hey All,

after finishing the sydney to gong, the bug had well and truly bitten and i had decided i wanted to do more with cycling apart from the coffee rides/training. Tuesday i purchased a race license and Saturday i was racing.

My first race was at Lansdowne Park in E grade, there was only 4 of us. I was hopeful to stick with them for one lap, and after doing a sighting lap i saw the long gradual hills i figured my Chunky figure was going to have a hard time and if i could do the one lap i would be stoked.

Anyway - the race started, and i managed to stick with the group for 20mins of the 35 in the race and even took my turn at the front for at least a lap to a lap and a half. Maybe they were taking it easy on me, who knows. But i was dropped eventually and finished miles behind the group but i had the biggest grin on my face. I exceeded my personal expectations, and my average speed was faster than i have ever been before.

I am hooked, great fun riding in the group, great motivation to train hard and aim to increase my average speed/endurance.

I reckon if anyone liked cycling gave this a go they would be back every week

See you at a crit soon guys.
Congrats! I am planning a December visit to Lansdowne for a Crit race once work stops being as crazy. What was the average speed out of interest?
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 pm

"The thrill comes not from the winning, but in having the courage to join the race"
:D

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Strava said i did roughly 25kmph, see the link below, hope it works.

http://www.strava.com/activities/93936262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So true David, i dont really worry about winning

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

C/D grade was averaging 38 kph when I dropped off at 28 minutes. I managed to not get lapped, however, and finish. D grade usually averages around 34. I think I would have been able to hang on if it weren't for a Waratah attacking off the front. He was in D grade a few weeks ago and did the same thing there, completely killing us. Hopefully he'll head up to B next time around.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Onya Mike,

I went into my first race on Sunday as well. Got put into D grade, got smashed and lapped (E grade this week :D ), but loved it.

Paid my licence yesterday and am pumped for this Sunday and also to get a bit of training happening.

Cheers
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 pm

good on you mike and bianchi. sure some say it's all ego bs....but hey, if it encourages you to ride regularly, clean up your diet, go to bed earlier, de-stresses and puts a smile on your dial....then it's a good thing.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:07 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:C/D grade was averaging 38 kph when I dropped off at 28 minutes. I managed to not get lapped, however, and finish. D grade usually averages around 34. I think I would have been able to hang on if it weren't for a Waratah attacking off the front. He was in D grade a few weeks ago and did the same thing there, completely killing us. Hopefully he'll head up to B next time around.
Wasn't riding a Black Trek by chance ?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Don't know. Middle aged asian guy in Waratah kit. Couldn't see the bike, he was travelling too fast.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Not the one i was thinking of :)