The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

toolonglegs

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Lol... I honestly haven't run more than once or twice since 1994!... Kept tearing ligaments in my ankles in rugby.
I look like an 80 year old granny jogging ;-) . Going to try and come back really slowly ... Otherwise I will get injured, plus the DOM's after 2 days have been pretty bad :-( .

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Lol... I honestly haven't run more than once or twice since 1994!...
That's only a 19 year break. You should be "fresh as a daisy" & be able to spring along like a gazelle.

Yes a good dose of the DOM's isn't the best, but I've almost managed to give them up thanks to the quit DOM's patches & some HTFU pills.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Lol... I honestly haven't run more than once or twice since 1994!...
That's only a 19 year break. You should be "fresh as a daisy" & be able to spring along like a gazelle.

Yes a good dose of the DOM's isn't the best, but I've almost managed to give them up thanks to the quit DOM's patches & some HTFU pills.
I wish!, I hobble like a granny at the moment... and very fine line to getting injured I think. Basically I have to run about 5 meters about 10 times each weekend, climb a few steep muddy banks and jump over some ditches. Just going to try and get back into running extremely slowly :lol: .
I don't mind DOM's and basic soreness as it usually passes with in two days, means I can't train hard every day though... not a big deal at this time of year!. But an injury would really suck!. Hopefully the more I do it the less it will hurt... last year I jumped straight off the road bike into a cross race... man that hurt :lol: .

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 am

Running sucks! I find any more then 5/10km twice a week and I have a lot of issues with soreness... Particularly in the joints. :?

Pretty sedate couple of training days for me this week after burning through enough more then enough matches on the weekend having done a road race on Saturday, and a 6hr MTB race on Sunday. Yesterday was an one hour easy Z1 session, and today a two hour Z1/Z2 session - tomorrow I am doing squat before getting back into it on Thursday :D
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Well got back on the bike again for the first time in over a week, went on a group ride the saturday before and was really not fit enough massive cramps etc. This morning just took it easy and had a nice 30 km pedal, weather is so sticking hot up here in darwin, but will keep at it for the rest of my time up here, hopefully get my mojo flowing again

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Cramping is pretty bad. :shock:

I didn't do much riding this week with the exception of about 27km yesterday - which was just about pointless with the wind and scorching heat. I did clock up a 2nd on a 2km strava segment which was quite nice. First place is way out of reach, held by the world-champion who is very, very quick. 8)

Apart from that, doing some weight work with the legs. I was warned to do that by a physio but sort of didn't do it much - I am now. Legs are a bit sore tonight as a result.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:50 am

One thing I rarely suffer from is cramps, for that I am very happy!. But when you get them they are horrible!.
Black and bleu all over at the moment, both knees and an elbow. Plus hips are totally blocked... Can hardly do up my shoes!. Thought at the time I had got away from sundays crash pretty lightly... But I didn't ... :-|

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:One thing I rarely suffer from is cramps, for that I am very happy!. But when you get them they are horrible!.
Black and bleu all over at the moment, both knees and an elbow. Plus hips are totally blocked... Can hardly do up my shoes!. Thought at the time I had got away from sundays crash pretty lightly... But I didn't ... :-|
Ok, what did I miss here TLL eh?? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Not much mate, just wiped out on a wet wooden bridge at speed on my CX bike in sundays mtb race... Be back racing by tomorrow ;-)
Well that's as long as the first of my physio appointments goes well tonight :-|

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Bugger! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Not much mate, just wiped out on a wet wooden bridge at speed on my CX bike in sundays mtb race... Be back racing by tomorrow ;-)
Well that's as long as the first of my physio appointments goes well tonight :-|
Ouch - that sounds pretty awful being that locked up and painful. Hope they can free you up and get you moving.
toolonglegs wrote:One thing I rarely suffer from is cramps, for that I am very happy!. But when you get them they are horrible!.
Mine seem to have moved up the leg. Not in the calves any more, now above the knee. Which seems marginally not as bad. I'm doing the right things to try and stop that.

I did 57km in headwinds today. Clocked up a nice PR on the M7 equestrian slog, but I'm pretty spent now.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Managed 50 something k's today... took over an hour to get things moving ok'ish... no pain, just stiff.
Should be fine for tomorrow... an hour of pain awaits. As always I wish I was fitter and lighter... but I will "enjoy" myself anyway!.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 am

well did my last group ride with the Guys in Darwin on Saturday, having major major cramps around the 50km mark to the point a cant even get of my bike, hopefully it's just due to the heat up here at the moment,

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:18 pm

the last bike lane (or was it the one before) on cyclingtips suggested that pickle juice (from onions and the like) is known to work well in calming cramps during a ride. Something about interrupting the brains signals or something
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

Walsh95

Postby Walsh95 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 pm

might try and get in on the thread if that's cool.
Awesome ride on the riverloop in brisbane, absolutely smashed the southbank to toowong leg, 45km/h avg for 5km, avg heart rate 120, stoked after that! All those morning trainer sessions starting to pay off... :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Walsh95 wrote:might try and get in on the thread if that's cool.
Awesome ride on the riverloop in brisbane, absolutely smashed the southbank to toowong leg, 45km/h avg for 5km, avg heart rate 120, stoked after that! All those morning trainer sessions starting to pay off... :)
Drafting is training? 8)

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Tough couple of days for me!...

Sunday - 50km MTB Ride, Z2/Tempo
Monday - 2hrs Z2 followed by 8min/5min/8min Sweet Spot Intervals w/5min rest between sets
Tues - 6 x Over Under Sets (1min under, 1min over, 1min under, 2min over) + 2 x 3min Vo2 Max Intervals w/5min rest between sets.
Today - 4 x 4:30min Vo2Max Intervals w/3min rest between sets.

Legs are a bit sore this evening, but I seem to recovery from the hard days much quicker then most... The next couple of days will consist of doing not much, and recovery spins before the weekends 6 hour mountain bike race :D
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:45 pm

friggin hate getting bugs. had one last week and it seems to be still effecting my performance, and appetite (hungry all the time).

had a good crit training session thursday night.
maybe one too many drinks last night and a late start this morning....felt weak...then the wind picked up and up. was riding home into 40kph and 50kph gusts, thinking...this sucks.

as for jogging, hehehe...tried a little 3 mths ago and very quickly stirred my left hip joint anterior labrum up...and the MRI confirmed it's not a 21 yo's labrum. ye can'ne get 20yo performance out of 60yo tissue boys and girls. back to the bike for moi, a clean diet, and periodic fasting.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah I hear you on the old joints and tissue.
My issue flared up on Thursday's ride... Pain in the rear of the thigh, pain at the top of the calf and general blocked feeling in the hips. Actually not so much in the ride as afterwards.
Had to take a day off yesterday ( and maybe today ) .
Been stretching a lot every two days and seeing physio twice a week, but have been giving the name of a sports doc/physio guy who is supposed to be really good.
I think a big part is all the sprint training/ 20-30 sec efforts and running up muddy banks I have been doing. Bit of a shock to the system.
Forgot I did a HT session on Wednesday, may have more to do with it as well as I always feel it in the back of the legs when doing Home Trainer workouts :(

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 am

i know you don't like hearing it TLL, but your symptoms are definitely lumbar spine originated imho. you could also be stirring the sciatic nerve near the ischial tuberosity - medially or distally. doesn't mean the end of the world....just means more planks, side planks, bicycle crunches, hanging knee raises...

presume you can do this stretch.
http://racquetball-fitness.com/wp-conte ... retch1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 am

That stretch... I will try when I get home, but looking at it I am laughing already!.
Physio is say sciatic as well... I thought it was a nerve?.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 am

my guess is you have a bit of lumbar disc degeneration (L51) [like most over 40s who have been very active] +/- a minor disc bulge both of which are irritating the sciatic nerve roots.... +/- sciatic nerve irritation near the ischial tube or hamstring origin.

my go to's would be
- loosen your facet joints with orthopedic manual therapy technique (used by osteopaths and some manual physiotherapists)
- core strength and ab ex's
- stretch the buggery out of your gluts, piriformis, hams, adductors, calf
- all plane stretching (flex/extend, lateral flexion, rotation) of your spinal column. this will ease possible tethering of the spinal cord and nerve roots, and loosen facet jts that are chronically irritated due to stiffness/inflammation.
- 7-10% bodyfat! :) losing weight can make a huge difference to neural irritation, both mechanically and chemically.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:05 am

Some times I wonder if all the core strength work actually works. Mine is pretty good but I still suffer from Sciatic related issues when I really push on rides. So much so that I think it inhibits me going that extra 10%.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes I have degeneration of the lumbar spine... 3 MRI's between 2008-2009. Nothing out of the ordinary for age and size. But as far as they could tell there was no bulging. Of course this could have change since the last one.
But basically since I had all those problems a few years back I have lost a lot of movement.

Just to clarify... No shooting pains and no numbness... Just a deep muscle type ache.
Sore in the fleshy muscle just below and behind the knee. Deep in the rear of the thigh which I can massage a bit by digging deep. Also deep in the butt. Nothing like my previous issues.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Some times I wonder if all the core strength work actually works. Mine is pretty good but I still suffer from Sciatic related issues when I really push on rides. So much so that I think it inhibits me going that extra 10%.
core strength is there to give a little prophylaxis against further injury and slow rate of degeneration. for most, 95% of the damage is done in the first 40 years of life....and it's irreversible.

symptoms are really quite individual. depends very much on the relationship of vertebrae to each other (-listhesis), vertebral body lipping, facet jt OA, loss of disc height, disc state (rigidity), end plate changes, nerve root impingement tethering etc. etc etc.

the great majority of westerners have stuffed backs due to chair/lounge sitting+++, being sedentary, having weak trunk strength, doing exercise our backs are not designed to do (running, cycling) :) and eating too much rubbish, getting overweight, chronic dehydration. we could learn a lot from the Eastern cultures about moderation and healthy activity.

anyway, welcome to the club. I have to 'manage' my sciatic symptoms as well. have improved dramatically since taking up riding, and doing more core and stretching.

though I should add some physios and PTs idea of core strength exercise is a joke.