How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:It's been a bit of a nervous time commuting on a failing rim....
I've been concerned for you TW. There's been enough crashes/malfunctions this year between us all without one occurring that could have been prevented
Thanks jason, I hear you....the bike's been on the workstand for inspection every night and gently coaxed along for my commutes for the last few days...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

westab wrote:
jasonc wrote:
I've been concerned for you TW. There's been enough crashes/malfunctions this year between us all without one occurring that could have been prevented
+1 Hope you get your new wheel for the ride home (and it doesn't rain in on you as well).

Realy nice ride in this morning - enjoy the slow pace I set and will be enjoying a good quick sprint on the way home. Lower kms this week but have alot of kms for over the weekend with little a's and fruit shopping along with a trip to the library to help no.1 kid with an assignment. Hope it doesn't rain.
Thanks guys...wheel is going on as I type, and so is the mudflap...rain for the way back looks inevitable tho, but I'll happily take that now the rest is sorted :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:10 pm

eldavo wrote:One good thing about n+1 for a commuter fleet is no urgent maintenance, just swap over like a TdF team mechanic spare bike, the other becomes parts and n+1 loop continues to replace it to eliminate that flaw in the n-1 unit.
I've got 4 steeds available - okay, the cargo bike might be a bit of a challenge for the distance...but I needed my commuter here in the CBD for the wheel swap, so kept on riding it in...

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Thanks jason, I hear you....the bike's been on the workstand for inspection every night and gently coaxed along for my commutes for the last few days...
TW sounds like a case for a spare wheelset (or n+1). Ride carefully in the wet mate (new or old wheel).
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:19 pm

My commutes this week have been non existent.

Monday: Sore from big weekend.
Tuesday: Melbourne Cup, day off.
Wednesday: headcold made breathing difficult, PT'd my way in.
Thursday: Stayed home sick.
Today: As Wednesday. Better but not back to riding fit.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 pm

nezumi wrote:My commutes this week have been non existent.

Monday: Sore from big weekend.
Tuesday: Melbourne Cup, day off.
Wednesday: headcold made breathing difficult, PT'd my way in.
Thursday: Stayed home sick.
Today: As Wednesday. Better but not back to riding fit.

Hope you feel better soon nezumi - and are back riding soon.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Last night I claimed the lane at Baker St, Richmond as I was crossing Church St and had the taxi behind me toot me to say 'get in the bike lane'. Said bike lane disappears into a curving, narrowing road and speed hump on the other side of the intersection (not a good recipe for a cyclist if they don't want to be squeezed into the gutter) so I pretty much just said 'stuff you' and ignored him. Plus I was right behind the car in front of me. Yes, I do have a right to be on the road, Mr Taxi Driver. That's why you got the head shake and death stare.

This morning the pre-ride jog was painful. Not one, but BOTH calves were complaining. The Walmer St hill was a struggle but I made it (the intermittent walking helped). This humid temperature doesn't agree with me and I think I get more cramping due to it.

But the ride into work was fine with only a light drizzling rain. So I can ride, but I can't walk. I guess that is all that is important? :P

Oh and apparently today was National Walk to Work Day. Did anyone else even realise that? I certainly didn't until ABC News 24 had Mr Harold Scruby, President of the Pedestrian Association (or whatever it is called) on tellie this morning. Guess their advertising wasn't as prolific as something like Ride to Work Day.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 am

I'm baaaaaack

Humid this morning. Going to be a wet week me thinks

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 am

Drive2Work day for me today. I will be riding back home rain or shine though.

Aaron.B

Postby Aaron.B » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 am

Had a good ride in this morning! Starting to run in the new bike, with about 350ish kms on it now, decided to go for a run up Mt Gravatt on the way in, with my backpack on. First few hundred meters I couldn't keep a rhythm at all, then another rider came zooming up beside me and climbed with me the rest of the way. Had a good chat, and it definitely helped me make it up a lot easier! Thanks mate, hope to see you there again!

Other than that, ride was fairly uneventful. Went over the story bridge and down Ann street instead of up Turbot street from the Riverside. I enjoy Kangaroo Point cliffs, so I'll probably make that my regular route :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:54 am

I've only got 3 days of commuting before heading off on a week and a half holiday to somewhere warm and beachy. The only reason I'm doing these three days is because it is a new job and I don't have the leave built up (I'm already taking the holiday unpaid, but who cares - it's a holiday!). :)

This morning I had a close shave by a motorist even though I was claiming the lane. I think I could have put my arm out and touched the car. Not sure whether it was deliberate or just ignorant.

And I tried to tell a lady cyclist that her back wheel was wobbling (out of true) and flat, but as I passed her and I tried to talk to her I saw she had headphones in and she just turned and smiled blankly at me so I don't think she understood my meaning. She also had spokey dokes on the wheel too which were cute.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am

How was my commute today? Slow.

First day back after a week of absence, plus putting the SMPs back on the bike, conspired to make today's run in a pnderous one.

Fortunately I broke up the tedium with breakfast at the Abbotsford Convent. :D
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

westab

Postby westab » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 pm

First wet commute in a long time this morning - took it realy slow as the roads were realy slippery. I don't know if that is because of the lack of practice in riding in the wet, the tyres are just about done, or the roads were actually slippery; anyway it was good to enjoy to rain and take it easy.

Strangly I found riding in the rain enjoyable this morning - won't enjoy the bike clean tonight.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:30 pm

first commute for a month and:
1. rider does u-turn coming off st.kevin's underpass right in front of me as i head towards city on MYT.
2. another rider bins it just past me while he was descending down to the pipe bridge in fairfield - runs into the wire fence and does massive OTB effort. gets up and is "OK - i landed on my back" lucky dude as it was a big fall!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Hectic day at work....colleague of mine managed to nuke a production system.
New rim fitted Friday, feel relieved, mudflap also got it's first workout in train on Friday. Looks like a late departure for me today - will have to cut through the city and up St Georges.

rabbit stew

Postby rabbit stew » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Wet ride for 9kms from nerng out to gilston yesterday. Today i had a good run out to Gilston, coming home i was about 3oom rom home and my legs started shaking, got home got off bike and they wouldnt stop shaking, i had a kiwi fruit an orange and a pro lean. and the legs came good. Iv been on this prolean stuff about 3 days a glass half hr before a ride and a glass with in half hour after a ride. Could it of been the prolean in my system and the poweraid i drink while i ride making my legs shake like that ? its the first time its happened to me.
I,m not quiet. I just dont plan murders out aloud.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Ride in was a bit miserable, raining, headwind, legs complaining about ride on Sunday. Engaged in some general silliness before heading for home, which included quoting monty python. As a consequence I rode home singing "always look on the bright side of life" quietly to myself with a stupid grin on my face.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Wet ride home as well here! Very pleasant ride as the temperature is just right for the wet riding this afternoon though I have a headset rocking like hell due to lack of spacer (it is fixed now for tomorrows actions!)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm

find_bruce wrote: As a consequence I rode home singing "always look on the bright side of life" quietly to myself with a stupid grin on my face.
been there, done that

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Absoutely magic morning for a 40km commute this morning. Beautiful weather in Perth. This was the first time I have commuted this distance as a commute only. Have previously ridden this far into work but that was with extra kms so today I had to ride the 40km home as well. Had the wind behind me on the way home so had a win both ways. Will only be working at this workplace once a month so hopefully can ride this journey a few more times.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 am

Due to a number of factors, I had yesterday off. But back to it today. Was a surprisingly dry commute which was great...ride home may be different but I am just glad I wont be putting on wet gear this arvo. Was an uneventful ride too which is always great.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:48 am

South Easterly winds in Melbourne can EAD.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:46 am

A work issue resulted in a late departure and necessitated a shorter route back in order to make a telecon at 5pm. Conditions were cool, windy and rainy, so just as well.
This weird south-easterly was still hanging around for this morning's ride in, but no rain on the way into the CBD.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:50 am

MattyK wrote:South Easterly winds in Melbourne can EAD.
I felt good at the start of my commute this morning (usually it takes me a little bit to warm up the legs) and was easily holding onto 30kph... Then I realised it was the tailwind giving me a hand. It didn't last long and then turned into a crosswind. Ah well.

The commute this morning and last night would have been good but for the moron motorists who decided to ruin my rides. Both videos have been posted in the MM thread as well.

Last night it was a right hand turner who failed to give way to me as I was crossing an intersection in the bike lane (it was a side street so the bike lane actually continues across the intersection). He paused a couple of metres from me and then went anyway and the only reason we didn't connect is because I assumed he wouldn't stop. As he then goes past the male passenger puts his hand up to the passenger window and gives me a very aggressive bird. Because of the passenger's actions I'm reporting that one. I've just realised that the street he turned into was a dead end street, so I could have followed them and confronted them, but I just wanted to get home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzauRirjz4s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then this morning in the two block section of Albert St that doesn't have a bike lane I hear a motorscooter behind me and look in the rearview and there is a scooter coming up in my lane without changing lanes. I was already in the right wheel track in my lane to stop any close passes that might happen (asking people to overtake in the right hand lane)... Only this lady decided she'd overtake in my lane with centimetres to spare. Oh and she gave me a honk as she did so. Then the traffic light in front of us turns to red and she indicates that she is turning left. So as I stop at the lights I confront her and ask her whether she would like to explain her actions and she goes on about me not sharing the lane and that I should be more considerate and have allowed her to pass me in my lane. I say to her that I ride where I do for safety reasons and ask her why she didn't change lanes to overtake. She says "there was a car in that lane". I also tried to ask her how she'd feel if someone did the same to her and her response was "I'm not in a car."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PLyZFxEkU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So now I have two incidents I'm going to lodge reports on. Clearly the crazies are out this week and I'm only doing a half week of commutes anyway because I'm going on holiday. I just want to make it to my holiday thank you.

Can I lodge police reports online (Crimestoppers?) or do I have to go into a police station?

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 am

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but have been lurking for a while. I commute from North Lakes to Brisbane City (+-80km RT), so I'll join the challenge next year and see how that goes.
Summernight wrote: Then this morning in the two block section of Albert St that doesn't have a bike lane I hear a motorscooter behind me and look in the rearview and there is a scooter coming up in my lane without changing lanes. I was already in the right wheel track in my lane to stop any close passes that might happen (asking people to overtake in the right hand lane)... Only this lady decided she'd overtake in my lane with centimetres to spare. Oh and she gave me a honk as she did so. Then the traffic light in front of us turns to red and she indicates that she is turning left. So as I stop at the lights I confront her and ask her whether she would like to explain her actions and she goes on about me not sharing the lane and that I should be more considerate and have allowed her to pass me in my lane. I say to her that I ride where I do for safety reasons and ask her why she didn't change lanes to overtake. She says "there was a car in that lane". I also tried to ask her how she'd feel if someone did the same to her and her response was "I'm not in a car."
This could genuinely be a misunderstanding on her part. Motorcycles are allowed to ride side-by-side in a single lane, so she may have just figured you also had 2 wheels, so she could come through. I'm not used to the practise of hooting on overtake (came from South Africa), but I've had a couple of guys do it to me as they overtake in the same lane ( when I'm on my motorbike). I think its more as a warning, rather than being rude.