Frame mounted pumps

Cmm

Frame mounted pumps

Postby Cmm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi in the market for a new mini pump and am trying to decide weather to go with a regular mini pump with a hose or going one of the frame mounted mini floor pumps.

What are you guys and gals using and what's your recommendations?

I have been looking at the lyzene range.

I am a cyclist who just goes on day trips no extreme ks and no touring if this changes anything.

Thanks

Cmm

jacks1071

Re: Frame mounted pumps

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Definitely one with a flex hose.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Got a THIS small frame mounted thing but haven't had to use it yet - ok for emergencies though wouldn't like to use it all the time..

Just bought a Speciaized Air Tool Pro floor pump which is pretty amazing.... pretty indestructible though not something you can easily carry around - more for pre-ride pressure checking..

as with a lot of accessories price is a good indicator...
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Depends on the sort of riding.

For fast training rides/racing, mini pump (with hose) in jersey pocket. If I get a flat I'm not going to be riding that far, will probably not catch up the group anyway so it is just to get me home.

For audax, where I might be riding a few hundred km after fixing a flat, I have a frame mounted mini floor pump with a gauge - can't remember which one, but it was a cheap one I bought from T7 (I think) which I have seen under several cheapo brands. Like the Topeak <something>-morph pumps, but with a metal foot thingy rather than plastic.

For commuting, a mini floor pump lives in my messenger bag - serfas and a bit bigger than the one on my audax bike, but no gauge. Have got > 140psi out of it (accidentally, no gauge).

FWIW, frame mounted mini floor pumps can be difficult to mount on modern road bikes because of the (stupid) frame shapes (whats wrong with round!).

EDIT: Always have a hose or you will eventually break a valve.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

ShogunHy wrote:Got a THIS small frame mounted thing but haven't had to use it yet - ok for emergencies though wouldn't like to use it all the time..
Hand pumps without a flex hose are without exception, rubbish. Far too easy to snap the valve off your tube with this type.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks I think the lyzene mini pump is looking good.

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
ShogunHy wrote:Got a THIS small frame mounted thing but haven't had to use it yet - ok for emergencies though wouldn't like to use it all the time..
Hand pumps without a flex hose are without exception, rubbish. Far too easy to snap the valve off your tube with this type.
Yeah kinda thought as much per the price comment ...
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Unless it's the Zefal HPX - best pump on the road, but only a frame-fit job. No longer made, sadly.

Check out the Lezyne Micro Floor-drive - great pump in stand-pump format, with a hose and pressure gauge.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 pm

+1 to all previous hose comments.

Lezyne do make some great products.

Might need to be mindful of some tubes having removable valve cores as well, with the Lezyne "ABS" threaded hose-to-valve attachment system. Not a show stopper, but it kinda sucks to have just got a road tube up to pressure, only to pull the valve out straight off with the hose head. More just to be a quirk to be wary of......... No need to ask me how I know :oops:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Cmm wrote:Thanks I think the lyzene mini pump is looking good.
What's with this lyzene? Is it some cheap chinese rip-off copy?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:09 pm

RonK wrote:What's with this lyzene? Is it some cheap chinese rip-off copy?
I was trying to find the "p!ssing by a window" sketch, in a bit more brevity... but you can have this one anyway;
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks for the heads up happyhumber

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm

il padrone wrote:Unless it's the Zefal HPX - best pump on the road, but only a frame-fit job. No longer made, sadly.

Check out the Lezyne Micro Floor-drive - great pump in stand-pump format, with a hose and pressure gauge.

That is pretty cool. I don't think I'd hang one from my bike as it'd be rubbing on my calves where the photo shows it being mounted but I do like it :-)

A mate of mine had an old school pump the entire length of the top tube (mounted under the top tube) - now that was a good pump. I can't remember how he had it mounted, was on an old steel frame but it always worked a treat. High pressure and fast.

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:56 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
A mate of mine had an old school pump the entire length of the top tube (mounted under the top tube) - now that was a good pump. I can't remember how he had it mounted, was on an old steel frame but it always worked a treat. High pressure and fast.
Thats the zefal HPX type pump (or at least its less evolved ancestors) mentioned earlier. We all had them back in the bad old days. That's all you could get.

I had one like exactly like this.

http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pum ... ev-88.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ha ha..Evans still have them in stock.