Weather

moosterbounce

Weather

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:56 pm

After weeks of hearing how wet Queensland is (and is about to be again with another cyclone), what happened in Sydney and Canberra today?! Hope no-one was riding when all that happened.

Even Perth managed 1mm of rain in the glass but not that much in the northern 'burbs where we are. And it is so cold!!

How is all this cold weather related to global warming again?!

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Only a light sprinkle in Sydney today and gone by the time I rode in

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tuco

Re: Weather

Postby tuco » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 pm

moosterbounce wrote:After weeks of hearing how wet Queensland is (and is about to be again with another cyclone), what happened in Sydney and Canberra today?! Hope no-one was riding when all that happened.

Even Perth managed 1mm of rain in the glass but not that much in the northern 'burbs where we are. And it is so cold!!

How is all this cold weather related to global warming again?!

Moo...
We had rain again smack bang on 5pm. You could set your clock by it at the moment.

Still waiting on news about two lows in the Coral Sea which could become cyclones.
Sounds like the big one will totally miss the coast and head south or south east.

January and February rainfall : 776mm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Just how deep was that hail in Canberra? :shock:

Got a whole 31 drops today :x thinkin' of moving to the Nullarbor, gotta be more garden friendly :roll:

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:01 am

What hail? Didn't even rain where I live, and I'm only 15K from where it hit. Mind you, one of my favorite lunchtime spots is rumored to be completely trashed... I'll have a look around on Saturday, when I have my weekend catchup ride.

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:54 am

Yesterday morning I decided to take the long way into work to add some kms to the ride.....unfortunately it put me right in the thick of things as far as the reminance of the hail goes. At some points I was riding through hail that reached half way up my shin!

Quite a few buildings in the centre of town were closed including the main shopping centre becuase roofs around the place were that deep in hail that they had either collapsed in places or were threatening too.

We lost around $150k worth of server equipment. The only spot in the building that I work in that leaked was directly above one of my server racks.....urg. Going to be a long week or so getting services restored. Luckily it was a test environment, not much by way of frontline equipment. Still an expensive and unneeded exercise.....

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:43 am

Wash out with distilled water, dry & try again....

I've read some pretty impressive stuff about recovering of flooded equip.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 am

MJF wrote:Wash out with distilled water, dry & try again....

I've read some pretty impressive stuff about recovering of flooded equip.
I was a senior technical officer before taking redundancy and there are many ways to recover water damaged equipment. Most is useless if the equipment was on at the time it got wet.
Only two weeks ago a got a friends digital camera working after he dropped it in a flooded gutter.

No doubt the servers were insured. Cheaper and easy to claim insurance and buy new servers.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 pm

MJF wrote:What hail? Didn't even rain where I live, and I'm only 15K from where it hit. Mind you, one of my favorite lunchtime spots is rumored to be completely trashed... I'll have a look around on Saturday, when I have my weekend catchup ride.
Canberra has several 'micro-climates' and I got to experience three of them in the course of about 30 minutes on Tuesday night. I left the ACT Vets annual general meeting in Woden and it was raining. Then by the time I got to Scrivener Dam (the thing that makes Lake Burley Griffin a lake) it was thunder, lightening and hail - there were cars sheltering under overpasses, blocked roads, very poor visibility - probably the worst weather-related driving conditions I have experienced. I crawled around the back of Black Mountain (there was 100 - 150 mm of hail on the road) and the hail disappeared and by the time I got to Belconnen it was little more than heavy rain. When I got home (just down the hill from MJF) my son said that it had only rained - although they did see a lot of the lightening in the distance.
At lunch time yesterday, there was still a few banks of dirty ice alongside roads in the CBD. My building was open, but some-one had pinched my car space in the basement, so I wasn't amused. The trees in the city centre are looking very sad today.
I came out of it with two dents in the bonnet of the car, but I saw a very sorry looking bike on the side of the road - I don't know where its rider was hiding, but the hail would have been a really nasty experience on a bike.

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:50 pm

On the dry and try front, we have a room full of topless servers tanning so to speak at the moment. The big beastie that was on the top of the stack was trying very hard to keep running with its insides full of lovely rain when I got there....she now has some nice bubbles\blisters on one of the boards on the inside. I am planning a memorial service in the coming days.

I am hopeful for a few other boxes as they were further down the stack. I even have some up and running. Although I am hastily ensuring backups are in place....just in case :wink: .

The rebuild of the environment is going well. Should be back to business as usual by mid next week all going well. Lot of work in between now and then though. Have to glance at the production systems from time to time as well *sigh*. Have to make sure the business keeps on going as usual while we rebuild the testbed...hehe.

Insurance people have already been around. Will need asset details etc....aint it wonderful that the asset database was in the pile of wet servers......geez I hope I get that box back!

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:23 pm

I got caught in the middle of the storm riding home yesterday :shock: It was scary. I swear that it was soooo windy and slippery that I was riding sideways at one stage.

I was drenched and cold (and that was only in the first 5 minutes of my ride). All I could do was pray that I wouldn't fall over and or get hit by lightning/debris/cars/cats/dogs/etc....luckily I found shelter under a tree in the middle of a football field next to a metal fence :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking...the fence was timber...

That reminds me, what's the best way to remove stains caused by the spray from the back wheel onto your jersey? I've soaked it in detergent but there's still a copper coloured stain. Maybe it will come out once through the machine :?: :?

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 pm

Mr888 wrote:I got caught in the middle of the storm riding home yesterday :shock: It was scary. I swear that it was soooo windy and slippery that I was riding sideways at one stage.

I was drenched and cold (and that was only in the first 5 minutes of my ride). All I could do was pray that I wouldn't fall over and or get hit by lightning/debris/cars/cats/dogs/etc....luckily I found shelter under a tree in the middle of a football field next to a metal fence :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking...the fence was timber...

That reminds me, what's the best way to remove stains caused by the spray from the back wheel onto your jersey? I've soaked it in detergent but there's still a copper coloured stain. Maybe it will come out once through the machine :?: :?

Maybe tho you might want to try a stain remover as a prewash.
Talk to the hand

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:33 pm

Mr888 wrote:I was drenched and cold (and that was only in the first 5 minutes of my ride). All I could do was pray that I wouldn't fall over and or get hit by lightning/debris/cars/cats/dogs/etc....luckily I found shelter under a tree in the middle of a football field next to a metal fence :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking...the fence was timber...
There is a position called the lightning position that you can adopt if there is nowhere to hide when caught in a storm. I'm not going to try and describe it but it involves sticking ones arse in the air. Lightning travels the shortest route through the body.

Apparently you can survive a lightning strike if it doesn't travel through your heart. I don't know how true this is, does anyone want to test it? :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:53 pm

No thank you, been too close once. Lightning is best experienced from a doorstep.
TriggerFish wrote:Insurance people have already been around. Will need asset details etc....aint it wonderful that the asset database was in the pile of wet servers......geez I hope I get that box back!
:o Ummm, 3.5" floppies?

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:48 pm

bicyclewa wrote:
Mr888 wrote:I was drenched and cold (and that was only in the first 5 minutes of my ride). All I could do was pray that I wouldn't fall over and or get hit by lightning/debris/cars/cats/dogs/etc....luckily I found shelter under a tree in the middle of a football field next to a metal fence :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only joking...the fence was timber...
There is a position called the lightning position that you can adopt if there is nowhere to hide when caught in a storm. I'm not going to try and describe it but it involves sticking ones arse in the air. Lightning travels the shortest route through the body.

Apparently you can survive a lightning strike if it doesn't travel through your heart. I don't know how true this is, does anyone want to test it? :shock:
Seriously, in a ditch or gutter is best.

Even very, very close lightning strikes can kill 4 legged animals because of the large potential difference (voltage) between the front legs and back legs. Since the animal has a lower resistance than the ground, the current flows from one set of legs to the other via the heart.
Depends on many factors of course, EG animal standing side on to the strike or head on.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm not going to try and describe it but it involves sticking ones arse in the air.

I hope it's lightning on the Freeway Bike Ride on the 18th March, I'll have somewhere to park my bike at the finish line (courtesy of bicycleWA!) :wink: :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am

Third race tomorrow so naturally we have a cyclone sitting off the coast thanks to Richard's prediction. :wink:

Actually I should correct myself, it's still only a tropical low. Expected to be a cyclone tonight.

It's a strange one. The upper level wind shear makes the satellite image look like the cyclone is way off to the east but it is only about 450km north east. A stones throw as far as cyclones go.

It's odd weather when the big ones are hanging around. You'd expect it to be windy but it's dead calm. Great riding weather :D
Hopefully it's still calm for the race tomorrow morning.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Head wind or a tail wind ?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Head wind or a tail wind ?
Knowing my luck it'll be a cross wind.

It's been named a cyclone now. Should be a category 2 by this time tomorrow (11am).

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:12 pm

We've now had our winter (for about 2 days last week!)

Temps back in the 40's this week, we've just had a power cut in the Northern suburbs, trains are delayed due to the heat (bent tracks??), future power cuts expected as demand outstrips supply (can't squeeze enough gas in the pipes apparently!)...

It will take a brave soul to ride a bike in these conditions! (I'm not that foolish although if it drops to 39 C I might consider it! :wink: )

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:50 pm

I went out riding at 3:30 AM and it was still hot. I went through 2 litres of water in one hour.

I have hot water coming out of my cold water pipes. Just had an email from Crank and it's 48 degrees up there.

I have one PC down due to the heat, and my headless server is in the freezer again :shock: So I can restart it.

The concrete outside is nearing a molten state.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Low 40's all day your way I hear.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:35 pm

bicyclewa wrote:I went out riding at 3:30 AM and it was still hot. I went through 2 litres of water in one hour.

I have hot water coming out of my cold water pipes. Just had an email from Crank and it's 48 degrees up there.

I have one PC down due to the heat, and my headless server is in the freezer again :shock: So I can restart it.

The concrete outside is nearing a molten state.
I know what you're going through.

Welcome to our weather up here :lol:

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 am

Wednesday: Fine. Cloudy at first then a mild day with light to moderate north to northeast winds. Minimum 12, Expected Maximum 26, Currently 14
Yet another lovely day in Canberra.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:52 am

Nice in Sydney today

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage