Looking To Upgrade Look Keo Classic Pedals

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm

I need to buy some more pedals for my road bike. It's away getting fixed at the moment (that's another story), but in the meantime i switched my existing Look Keo Classic pedals to my new Fixie. When i get my road bike back it'll need more pedals & i'm wondering what to buy. To be honest i've been very happy with my Look Keo Classics. I've had no problems with them, no squeaking & the only cleat issues i've had so far were with non-Look cleats. As i'll be starting Crit racing when my road bike reappears, i'm thinking i might "upgrade" those pedals to a higher-end Look Keo product. Anyone got any suggestions? They don't have to be the lightest. I don't want to spend an extra $100 just to save a few extra grams. I've been thinking maybe the Look Keo Blade Carbon (non Ti/Aero) or Look Keo2 Max Carbon.

richbee

Re: Looking To Upgrade Look Keo Classic Pedals

Postby richbee » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Vote for the Keo Blade Carbon with the red'spring'

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:30 pm

That was what i had in my cart at Wiggle as my initial preference. My only concern was damaging the blade. I have been known to forget to unclip.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 pm

if you get another variety of pedals, then presumably you'll need different cleats which means another pair of shoes.
imho, better off with same pedals on both bikes.

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 pm

As far as i understand, Look Keo cleats fit all variations of Look Keo pedals. I currently have 3 pairs of bike shoes all with anti-slip Look Keo cleats.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I agree with what winstonw said - stick to one sort of cleat/pedal.

I have ridden with Keo Classics and what were once the cat's pyjamas-type Look pedals - carbon ones with - I believe - titanium axles. I can tell the difference, but only because the release spring was advertised to be about twice as stiff. I have no trouble believing this, especially since I have the release spring up as stiff as it will go and down as loose as possible on my Classics.

In your shoes (so to speak), I'd just stick with the Classics absent some compelling reason to upgrade. My compelling reason was taking up track cycling and thinking morbid thoughts about pulling feet :shock: . So I got the stiffest release spring I could get my hands on. But, near as I can judge, the difference between the two pedals is otherwise inconsequential.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I thought the blades took a different cleat.
I have Look Keo 2 max, and am happy with them.

richbee

Postby richbee » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Keo Classic and Keo Blade use the same cleat

sarahj

Postby sarahj » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Stick to looks Why change from what you know and works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

+1 on Keo 2 Max carbons, very happy with mine.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:22 am

richbee wrote:Keo Classic and Keo Blade use the same cleat
Really?? I just thought they would use different cleats... But on further investigation seems they don't!

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 am

Looks like it's between Keo 2 Max Carbons (Wiggle (AT) $180) & the Keo Blade Carbons (Wiggle (AT) $130) then. Anyone used both at any time?

richbee

Postby richbee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 am

Went straight from Classics to Blades myself so can't comment on the Keo 2 Max's.
But if you can't justify spending extra $'s just to save a few grams, surely at $130 v $180 your choice is made for you?
Mind you at 115g each v 122g each the Blades are actually a tad lighter so it looks like a win win for you

sminns

Postby sminns » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:53 am

richbee wrote:Vote for the Keo Blade Carbon with the red'spring'
+1 they're really good

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 am

hmmm....was almost tempted to press the ribble button on a set myself, seeing they take the same cleat.....but then I thought I better google reviews....and found this....
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=62140&hilit=keo+blade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seems some people have issues with the blades snapping.

I kind of wonder with the steep recent price reduction, whether there's a new improved model on the way.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 am

winstonw wrote:hmmm....was almost tempted to press the ribble button on a set myself, seeing they take the same cleat.....but then I thought I better google reviews....and found this....
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=62140&hilit=keo+blade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seems some people have issues with the blades snapping.

I kind of wonder with the steep recent price reduction, whether there's a new improved model on the way.
I'm looking at some new pedals in the not too distant future and am troubled by these sorts of things. It appears that every brand of pedal that makes use of composite or carbon bits has frequently reported problems with breakages of bodies or carbon springs or whatever. Look's break, Time's break; people who love their Speed plays seem to spend a lot of time figuring out the cheapest way to rebuild them. Metal bodied pedals are getting rarer with Shimano being the standout (Ritchey and Xpedo have some too).

I can't help but wonder if the continual drive for weight saving is producing expensive pedals that frequently don't hack the job they are supposed to do. I'm not worried about an accident or some such, but I do want the pedals I spend good coin on to last for a decent amount of time.

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 pm

How do you 'upgrade' from something that works as well as you want it to work?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Jean wrote:I can't help but wonder if the continual drive for weight saving is producing expensive pedals that frequently don't hack the job they are supposed to do. I'm not worried about an accident or some such, but I do want the pedals I spend good coin on to last for a decent amount of time.
I agree. I think bicycle R&D slants a bit too much towards performance gains for pro cyclists, more so than durability and cost effectiveness for Joe average cyclist.

And people think if it is more expensive, it must be "better".
It might be lighter, but it won't necessarily last long. classic case is wheels....most seem to want lighter wheels for recreational riding.
After seeing so many wheels bust on variable country roads, and so many punctures, reliability and durability definitely mean more to me these days. A mate did a big country ride with 6 others on Sunday. THey got 9 flats between them....mostly pinch flats from rougher sharper surfaces. The delays spoiled the ride somewhat.

nevertheless, I totally understand if riders prefer less durable light components for appropriate conditions - racing, rides not too far from home on good surfaces, etc. I love the look of some blingy bikes.... as long as we're all better informed about what we're buying and why.