Sunshine Coast rides?

ausmomo

Sunshine Coast rides?

Postby ausmomo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi all,
We're thinking of heading up to the Sunshine Coast for 3 days and taking our bikes. I was hoping for some recommendations on where to base ourselves, with the #1 criteria being "somewhere nice to ride".
Is David Low Way between Sunshine Beach and, say, Coolum decent? One of our group isn't too fond of cars, so we're hoping for somewhere with wide-ish roads and/or bike lanes. Rides of 40-80km would be ideal.

I've not been up that way since I started riding, and never really considered what it would be like riding up there.

thanks as always

ldrcycles

Re: Sunshine Coast rides?

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 am

That road forms part of my commute so I've ridden it a LOT. It's a nice ride, a rolling road with no real climbs apart from the steep but short "water tower" climb just north of Peregian Beach (although you can bypass that if you prefer by taking Peregian Esplanade) and nice scenery with the Pacific Ocean right there.

Depending on the time of day there can be a bit of traffic or next to none but it's never close to Brisbane type volumes. Pretty much all of David Low Way has a good sized shoulder and with "riding big" I very rarely have any issues with cars along there. The road through the middle of Coolum is very narrow though, and there is usually more traffic there but there are a bunch of cafes and it's only about a kilometre or two. Immediately south of Coolum there are 2 big (for the coast) steep hills, then from there it's flat as a pancake all the way through to Alexandra Headland.

My commute from Mt Coolum to the other side of Noosa Civic is 26k, so to get the distance up you could go Sunshine to Coolum (there's usually a southerly breeze), then back up the coast and if you feel like more when you reach Sunshine again just keep going up to Noosa Heads and cruise along Gympie Terrace and/or Noosa Parade. Both of those are a bit narrow but also low speed and low volume. If you're early then taking Hastings St to the end of the Spit is really nice too.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 am

I hope you have Strava! These are some of my and my mates local rides. All in the K's zone your speaking of. One is simular to the Noosa ride as above. Different starting points but we all live in different places!

http://www.strava.com/activities/92846968
http://www.strava.com/activities/89692533
http://www.strava.com/activities/87468338
http://www.strava.com/activities/93093199
http://www.strava.com/activities/92885880
http://www.strava.com/activities/92610137

If you want the GPX of my rides happy to download and send to you...
When are you planning to come up?

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you both for your answers.
We're thinking of late Feb. Depends on accommodation availability/pricing. I'd like to be able to hit the beaches, too.

I'm leaning towards staying at Sunshine Beach, and doing roughly these 3 rides;
1) start Sunshine Beach, head south along David Low Way for 30-40km, then return
2) start Sunshine Beach, head north and west. This needs fleshing out.
3) perhaps something on the hinterland, ie drive up to Mapleton and start from there. We're fairly casual, though, and we're a bit worried about the hills there. I've not done research into this yet.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:54 pm

ausmomo wrote:Thank you both for your answers.
We're thinking of late Feb. Depends on accommodation availability/pricing. I'd like to be able to hit the beaches, too.

I'm leaning towards staying at Sunshine Beach, and doing roughly these 3 rides;
1) start Sunshine Beach, head south along David Low Way for 30-40km, then return
2) start Sunshine Beach, head north and west. This needs fleshing out.
3) perhaps something on the hinterland, ie drive up to Mapleton and start from there. We're fairly casual, though, and we're a bit worried about the hills there. I've not done research into this yet.
If you're heading towards the hinterland (highly recommended), you HAVE to do Obi Obi on the western side of Mapleton. Do a loop down to Conondale and then take Eastern Mary River Rd on the way to Kenilworth then take Obi Obi Rd back up to Mapleton. It's a nice steady climb with great views, if you like that sort of thing! :wink:

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Mrs Waka and I are looking at credit card camping over a few days in our area in March/April. Riding just with rucksacks meandering around looping over the hills on day one heading out conondale/kenilworth stay in a cabin ride around a day. Then onto Noosa do the same then back home to Palmwoods. Pie in the sky at the moment, but we will take every dirt track we can and tralalalaaallalala. No rush, just enjoy.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Smithstreet wrote:It's a nice steady climb
Sarcasm? A max gradient of 42% is well outside my definition of steady :lol: . Spot on about the views though, it's a beautiful area.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 pm

42%? Yikes! Perhaps one day...

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:24 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:It's a nice steady climb
Sarcasm? A max gradient of 42% is well outside my definition of steady :lol: . Spot on about the views though, it's a beautiful area.
Yeah, perhaps a hint of sarcasm! Maybe I should have said 'consistent'.
Consistently STEEP!!

richbee

Postby richbee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am

42%, that's 1 in 1.11, are you sure?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

Never ridden it, driven it a few times, the car is not happy with it....
The easier road out Delicia hits nearly 30%!
http://goo.gl/tNMX4U
http://goo.gl/maps/F98r9 Not sure on the gradient but it's going to be painfull.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Will checkout all those links above...

I am staying in Mooloolaba...

I have done Noosa and back, Caloundra and back, and Maleny/Montville and back (Steve Irwin way was frightening, wish I had gone out via maroochy rd instead).

Any tips on other rides?
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm

I took Razorback Rd down from Montville... That was "exciting"... If you are looking for a thrilling decent, put that one on your list...
Will have to lookup the gradient...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

brett.hooker wrote:I took Razorback Rd down from Montville... That was "exciting"... If you are looking for a thrilling decent, put that one on your list...
Will have to lookup the gradient...
The gradient there is "LOTS" :lol: . She's one hell of a climb that one, not as steep as the Obi Obi but there are fewer corners so you look waaaay up ahead and all you can see is the road going higher and higher.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Will checkout all those links above...

I am staying in Mooloolaba...

I have done Noosa and back, Caloundra and back, and Maleny/Montville and back (Steve Irwin way was frightening, wish I had gone out via maroochy rd instead).

Any tips on other rides?
Try Philipps Rd up to Flaxton.
Best taken from Blackall Range Rd then onto Dulong Rd, then left into the 'ski jump'!! :shock:

You wont be disappointed.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:03 am

Glad you are enjoying the coast.
If you have a CX or MTB try riding up Montville-Palmwoods Rd then coming down, about halfway take a left called Barsons rd which turns into Shurvell rd there is a reasonable gravel descent. Aptly named 'Pucker up' a quick gravel decent, followed by 90 degree right turn at the bottom onto tarmac, but the cars leave plenty of gravel spread around and watch out for dustbins! Then is a nice sweeping rd, that you can go as fast as you are brave, momentum from the gravel descent is the key. Then it's a short sharp pinch to the junction with Hunchy RD. From there, if you feeling still fuelled of adrenaline turn left head up Hunchy but stopping and turning right onto ratcliffe rd, next to the pineapple stand. MTB required, or world class CX skills (at the very top) climb up road ignoring dead end signs. Keep going up towards (past the private property sign) power tower a technical section to the top, I walk! Then take in the views to the North. Go down the other side again a nice gravel descent not like Pucker up. Only pick up speed after you have passed the gate, it's not always open. Then follow your nose downhill till reaching tarmac turn right. Follow nose to Palmwoods, eat at a cafe, you have earned it!
If you want more gravel and hills, look for citrus loop (citrus rd) it can be done either way, A: a foul tarmac climb followed again by flowing gravel roads. OR a constant gravel climb, quite steady then a awesome tarmac descent, watch out for the flic at the bottom, be prepared to stop.

Now I cannot ride two bikes at a time, my MTB is set up for someone in the 188cm range, if you want to borrow. Not sure if Pam would loan hers but I will ask if needed. Pam is 168cm. We have a Dolce for sale :) for people up to 165cm MAX, tiagra compact double, 2012 bits, 2007 frame!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks mate! I brought both my road bike and my MTB just in case... Doing Tewantin today, and wanted to head out west again tomorrow and/or Friday, so the tips are great!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Oh, if you want a local bunch...
Every day from the Loo with view at mooloolaba (actually the coffee club at 6:00am depart. Use road bike.
I do the Friday I have to pull off early as I have to get back for work. Approx 40k's mostly flat one minor undulating bit in the middle which is a nice heart raiser then back to the flats, about 1hr:25mins so not a super quick blast, sits on about 30-35. The full circuit is closer to 2hr:30min.
Not the most communicative bunch until you have ridden about 8 times, well it was for me. Don't know where they head Thurs.
They wait for no one flats or mechfail. Not much calling either! Either way a bit safer in numbers. People also drop off and join during the ride at any point.
I will be in the Flouro Yellow helmet on a Scott Foil 40, and probably blue lycra, jeez I need colour co-ordination ;)
The circuit I take http://goo.gl/qVJkCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3/4 circuit http://goo.gl/MRlUqh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; never done the full one...
Mooloolaba to south west http://goo.gl/9Aig4O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; different rider and a unfamiliar hills to me.
Thats all!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks mate!