Early mornings, what motivates you?

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Early mornings, what motivates you?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Hmmm. Getting away before the ratty kids are up?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Don't have the snooze button within reach! And don't make it a decision, if I think about if I want to get up or not I won't. So I don't think about it, as soon as the alarm goes off I get up. :)

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
What is my motivation?
The energy I feel for the rest of the day.
Also the mateship of riding with mates, and feeling prepared for when I go racing.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

coyote

Postby coyote » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Nothing at all, I do not do mornings full stop. :evil: Only way I do early mornings is if one is up and still going from the night before. 8)

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:30 pm

The thing is I cycle alone so I don't have that obligation that mates are waiting to meet me somewhere! If I did it would be a lot easier

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

The rainbow lorikeets in the bottlebrush out the front make so much noise that sleeping in is not an option. They are LOUD. It would be annoying if they didn't sound like they were so happy! So I figure, stuff you, *I'm* going to have some fun too - take that you mischievous multi coloured maniacs!

Tapatalk sucks lemons

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Shift worker. The early to bed bit is a problem so I don't do mornings well. I'll drag my carcass out for a 7:00 am bunch ride on the weekends but it's damn hard in the depths of winter.
6:30 am commute on the day shifts but I have to get up to go to work anyway so that unavoidable fact gets me out 3/4 of an hour earlier than would be otherwise be necessary. The benefits make it well worth it.
On a day off if I'm going to ride by myself I'll avoid the early start. My body functions better later in the day and the ride for me is more enjoyable.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Tailgumby what's wrong with tapatalk? I'm never at my PC so it's easy for me

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:10 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. Getting away before the ratty kids are up?
Before the little angels wake up is my time. Motivation is to get out the door before they do wake up. It's a balancing act though, I need to be sure the one year old isn't going to cause undue drama by waking too early and spoiling any chance of additional sleep for mum. If I leave it too late I get sucked into the vortex of morning routine and don't get the chance for a few extra km commuting during the week.

Before Mr One arrived popping the telly on I before leaving on a Saturday morning was a guarantee of keeping the other two and the house quiet before I got back. Once Mr One is older I can go back to that technique for Saturdays.

Edit: significant fail this morning, didn't leave the house until about 745, when I was just about ready at 645, if I'd been out by 630 ... Later to work = later home :(
Last edited by bychosis on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 am

@michelle: on my smartphone it seems to monopolise the browser UI and I can't access any other tabs.

Tapatalk sucks lemons

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:57 am

Ah fair enough

jamesjperth

Postby jamesjperth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:34 pm

+1 to beat the heat and the flies! Any time after 9am and it starts to get pretty uncomfortable out here in WA... And getting home early full of endorphins and the whole day ahead of you is pretty hard to beat.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Food.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Food.
you don't eat food Lukey. you eat salted cardboard....now be honest, how many times have you had takeaway pizza in the last 3 mths......for breakfast! :D

vince

Postby vince » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm an early riser anyway and only sleep in when i'm really sick ( 630 am max) so i'm up and out by 530 on the weekends. everything organised the night before so I don't wake the family as i'm leaving
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 pm

I have no idea what you are talking about.

No need for quoting :lol: :lol: :lol:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 pm

michelle_s wrote:I'm having so much trouble getting out of bed early mornings to go for a ride, but once I do I'm glad I did. More often than not though I hit the snooze..

So I'm looking for some ways to motivate myself!

What motivates you?
Ride at night, less traffic, you're more visable and you get to sleep in.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am

I feel more vulnerable to cars when cycling at night also I like to be able to see pot holes or anything that can send me off my bike, which I can't do at night.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am

jacks1071 wrote:
michelle_s wrote:I'm having so much trouble getting out of bed early mornings to go for a ride, but once I do I'm glad I did. More often than not though I hit the snooze..

So I'm looking for some ways to motivate myself!

What motivates you?
Ride at night, less traffic, you're more visable and you get to sleep in.
Yeah, that can be true - but it's also a risk with potholes and debris on the road. Especially rocks which are hard to see (they blend in with the colour of the road). I had a crash as a result of a rock on the road.

Early morning motivation to ride on weekdays is often the very high calibre procession of bikes leaving Loftus Street Sydney at the time I walk up to work from the station. Just this morning, a very damn nice red Shiv TT bike with Dura Ace C50s on it. Gets me thinking of going for a ride in the afternoon after work. :mrgreen: Oh, and a lot of bike envy too. :mrgreen:

Which I shouldn't have, as my own ride is not too shabby itself. :wink:

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Everything ready night before. (that means the water bottle and kit on a chair)

Off goes the trill of the alarm at 4am. Hit snooze lie there 10min. Off goes the alarm. THAT'S IT!!!!!! You now have 20min to get geared up, teeth, hair whatever you need to do, but you have to do it now and DON'T THINK. DO…….

I think about it when i get on the bike, but it's too late then to go back to bed.. I know I'm tired and muscle sore but I know I will feel great when I have gone for the ride and I will be home before the kids walk out the door. :-)

nirismo

Postby nirismo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 pm

It used to be really hard for me to wake up early but now I can do it without hiccup. Everyone so far has mention great methods to get going in the early morning so I'll just list together the things that are working for me below.

- Prepare the night before (including meals, clothes, bike, etc)
- Don't think about the next day. (need to have stress and anxiety down so you can calm down)
- Don't use technology right before going to bed (your mind stays active and takes a while to standby. I found watching TV is still a good stimulus before bed. Computers, phones, etc are the worse offenders)
- Have your window shades open so that the sunlight shines through in the morning. The many reasons why people struggle to wake up fully refreshed is because their body is not exposed to the daylight at the right time of the day. From there your body clock will do the rest.
- Most importantly, go to bed early. For me 10pm is the deadline. I found 10pm is the latest I can go without it effecting me the next morning.

These things are working for me right now and it has actually come to the point where I don't even need an alarm!

p.s University Student Tip: Do all your hard thinking work in the morning and leave the labour till the afternoon. Your brain functions 100x better with a fresh/blank mind!

Good luck! :)

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks guys!

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Testosterone ... with possibly a combination of dreams (can't quite tell) usually wakes me up early. That's usually followed with an elbow by the Mrs. :lol:

... so I figure I might as well go for a bike ride :mrgreen:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 am

michelle_s wrote:The thing is I cycle alone so I don't have that obligation that mates are waiting to meet me somewhere! If I did it would be a lot easier
Hey ...
I go from Calista thru Freo to Cottesloe 3-4 days a week. .. tomorrow I leave mine at 6am .... Monday any time its my day off ..Tuesday anytime before 10 as I start at 12 .... wed I leave at 4 am ... so if you're wanting to tag along feel free .

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:59 am

Leave for my commute at 0530, riding is motivation enough. I even got up for a wind trainer session at 0445 this morning. Baby waking at 0600 and night shift wife it's the only time I have to myself!