Dome Saturday Morning Ride

*Daisy*

Dome Saturday Morning Ride

Postby *Daisy* » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:06 am

Saturday 09 November 2013
There has been a lot said about Saturday formal & informal group rides, are they about ... where are they ... what's the level and what's the pace ... and so I thought it timely to address our rides and inform all of the Saturday Morning Dome Group.
We are a road cycling social group that get together 3-4 times a week for regular rides here in Hobart.
Tuesday & Thursday morning 6:00am, Saturday 8:00am and 8:30am & Sunday 8:00am. It's a social group that meet at the Dome Restaurant in Sandy Bay, the group is not a hard core bunch of roadies but more of a social easy going group that are out to enjoy a ride with like minded people and the rides are all weather permitting.
Tuesday & Thursday the ride runs out to South Granton and back approx. 40km - pace is around 25-28kms,
Saturday we generally have two groups - the 8:00am group which is the main group that will do 60-90km and the pace is around 26-30kms and then we have a 8:30am group that will do 40-60km and the pace is around 20-25kms.
Sunday the ride runs out to Collinsvale 40-50km approx with a pace around 20-25kms.
There are a few things you do need to know about the group - again it is a social group - on any ride there are regular stop points where we regroup and ensure everyone is ok, yes the pace will vary at times but the leaders will ensure no one rides by themselves and everyone is looked after. If there are bike issues or a puncture takes place, there are always a few stopping with you to ensure you have the equipment to fix and others are there for support while this takes place.
The return ride is always back to dome where a coffee and chat always finishes off an excellent ride.
Hope to see you out there ... Daisy

skull

Re: Dome Saturday Morning Ride

Postby skull » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:37 pm

you back in Hobbizle Daisy?

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am

Hmmm ... time to set the record straight and provide some options for those wanting it ...
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 am

Great !! will have to turn up for a ride some time.

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Most welcome...

Sunday 10 Nov 2013
Normally a trip out to Collinsvale but this morning a reverse commando run was the call ... a good bunch of 9 riders lined up and took off to Kingston, perfect conditions after three days of consistent rain. Sean brought young Sarah along who was very welcomed and set the pace early with Sean with Chris surging ahead at times to ensure a reasonable pace was maintained.
Sean took to the hills like a mountain goat with Cassey and Mike trying to sit on his wheel, Sarah Henry and myself playing catchup when we could ... The rest of the group being Andrew, JB, and Chris sat back and enjoyed the scenery and a good chat ... It was not long before another group caught up and past - yes the leading bunch doing the Channel Ride cought us just before Longley ... Serious riders in that bunch ... We took a quick stop and a chat before the steady climb to Neika, that was cold but enjoyable before long we were back at Dome enjoying a coffee ... Another good ride ... Most likely Collinsvale next week ...
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Hear, hear Mr/Madam Speaker.

Well spoken Daisy.

You might have a visit from the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride team this summer. :D

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Daisy,

Just a query about the 8.30am Saturday ride. What's the parking like around the Dome in Sandy Bay on a Saturday morning? If I was to join you on the ride, I would be driving in from Sorell.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 am

redheeler wrote:Hi Daisy,

Just a query about the 8.30am Saturday ride. What's the parking like around the Dome in Sandy Bay on a Saturday morning? If I was to join you on the ride, I would be driving in from Sorell.
Easy, there's heaps of parking along King St. Should be able to park within ~150m easily.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 am

Plenty if parking around. You might have to go down the street a bit. Or you can make a day of it and ride in/out plus dome. A few weeks if that will get you fit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 am

Easy park at the Cenotaph and ride down. Parking on Sandy Bay is bad at the best of times. :twisted:

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 am

Greenlands ave was an all day parking area when I regularly did the Dome ride. Up the hill on King St, through the first set of lights, first street on right.
500 metres down the hill to Dome, and you are part of an excellent ride. :D

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi guys, parking has not been an issue for many of us that do the ride - King St or any of the other streets in the area will provide ample choices. Look forward to seeing a few new and old faces ...
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:28 am

[quote="skull"] Or you can make a day of it and ride in/out plus dome. A few weeks if that will get you fit.

Nice idea but 50 kms to Sandy Bay, 60+ kms ride then the 50 kms home would make for one long day.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:19 pm

My idea of a good long day tho. When I was living in Hobart my sat dome ride plus extras getting there and home I was usually up around 160km for the day. Left home at 6am and didn't get back till around 12 or later.

Mind you that was also before our child.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:14 pm

It will be interesting to watch this over summer. I reckon that the Dome ride participation rate will increase significantly as a result of Daisy starting this thread. All he needs to do now is keep feeding it.

Katabatic

Postby Katabatic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm definitely keen for a regular Sunday bunch ride of some description. Unfortunately most of the group rides in Hobart take place on a Saturday so I've been going either solo or with a partner in crime occasionally.
It's going to be a cracking day tomorrow so I hope to see you all for a Dome ride at 8.00am
Cheers Eddie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 pm

I think that I'd start with just the Dome ride and build up from there. Maybe later, riding home afterwards. :D

Mind you I can only do every 2nd Saturday/Sunday, as I work the other.

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:51 am

Saturday 16 Nov 2013
Another perfect day 14 left dome on the 8:00am run.
The course was Granton - Bridgewater Bridge - Brighton - Richmond - Cambridge - Tasman Bridge - back to Dome.
T and myself lead the group off at a slow pace along the bike track until Geoff decided to knock it up a notch and lead a break away with two on is wheel and another two chasing, yes they held that lead all the way to Granton. The regroup point was just before the Bridgewater Bridge, the breakaway had pulled in and were waiting but the main body kept rolling on - the tables had turned and the breakaway had to chase down the peloton - Dale decided to give them something to chase so he took the lead and set a quick pace to the industrial park but it wasn't quick enough as they were on our tail before we reached the other side of the bridge. All on it was a steady ride into Brighton and another stop to fill water bottles and catch a breath. From there it was tree tree road all the way, the majority of this section was at a reasonable pace but as we got closer to water tower Geoff got itchy feet and decided to kick it up a notch again - off he pulled away with one or two on his tail ... The climb up water tower was tuff and Geoff couldn't shake his shadow ... who was this guy Geoff never had this trouble before ... Was it Daisy ... No ... Cassey ... No ... Mike ... No ... Geoff kicked it up again shadow still there only meters left to the crest surely he could hold him off ... Geoff saw the crest and though yes it's mine but wait a blur to his right and a rider flashed past ... Who the ... It was DALE ... What a run - Dale had sat on Geoff's wheel and do all the work only to steal the climb within meters of the top ... The rest of the field watched in disbelief - what a dark horse what a ride - well down. To the top we reached regrouped and started the decent down to Richmond Road. Ok that bit was fast real fast we hit Richmond road at pace and maintained it to Richmond where we stopped and ensured all were there. The stop was short and the call was a 28-30 single file to Cambridge windy but not too bad. From there up Rumney where Dale challenged Geoff again ... Yes Dale the victor and Geoff vowing the reclaim his crown ... Dale was glowing old dog takes young dog ... Not once but twice! Dale on cloud nine floated home and we managed to return to dome ... What a day ... Great ride back again tomorrow !
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:47 am

Sunday 17 Nov 2013
Another fantastic day ... Two in a row could this be the start of a glorious summer ... Time will tell. 5 for this mornings ride - lost many of our regular riders doing the point to pinnacle or a mountain bike run so we few took it casually enjoying a chat and a comfortable spin. Harry was back and so being Sunday it was back to Collinsvale and as I said perfect conditions. After yesterday no one wanted to kick it up and all enjoyed a relaxed spin till the climb up Collinsvale, Les lead the group up with Mike chasing his wheel but happy to sit back while the remaining group fell into a comfortable pace behind, reaching the top a quick regroup catching our breath we started the downhill - yes speed was up and there was no holding back we gunned it down reaching the bike track in no time at all ... on we went keeping the hammer on catching another group and allowing them to take us home. We cruised back to dome with a chat and a coffee waiting...
Once at dome we caught up with the new owners of the Avanti Plus Store that has just opened up on Sandy Bay Road, nice people and the shop looks great - if your in the area pop in they have set the store up very well and will need our support. It's great having a shop on the cycling belt and I'm sure everyone is pleased to see it there.
Ok - till next week when we start it all again, let hope this weather continues.
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:26 pm

My first ride with the Dome bunch and what a great ride it was. The ascent to Collinsvale was taxing and the descent was sensational. Left me wanting a bit more so I rode up to the top of Bonnet Hill and back to Dome after the main ride. A most enjoyable ride and I will definitely be back 8)

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Saturday June 21 2014
After a 2 week lay off i decided i better show for the DCG ... and what a day, it looked great, a low of 6 to a top of 15, the sun was out and no wind to speak of ... perfect conditions ... 18 showed for this mornings ride - so the course be set New Norfolk by Marys Hope Road to Collinsvale and down to New Norfolk ... hmmm., not a word, although the looks on everyone faces said it all - yep everyone was keen ... LOL!!!
As I mentioned perfect conditions till we got to Glenorchy - fog moved in and yes it dropped down to about 2 degrees the further we rode the worst it got, so bad if the guy in front didn't have his rear flashing we were blind. The course looked bleak but we pushed on ... then all of a sudden it changed sun out roads dry and it was like we just left Sandy Bay ... thank god ! On we pushed and on to the climbs - seeing that there were mountains about, i thought i would help out the tail enders and sacrificed myself to ensure everyone made it ... do you believe that? Ok ... ok ... I finally made it to the top, a short stop and off we took down the decent toward New Norfolk ... as we descended the weather changed back into fog and 2 degrees there further we descended the worst it got till each rider was swallowed up. It was particularly hard trying to manage the wet slippery road and lack of vision but then again we are seasoned DOME RIDERS ... we eventually came out the other end all accounted for ... i think ... all safe and well, a bit chilled and wet but all good, still a few Kms out from the race track so off we rode picking up the pace to pump the blood and warm the body ...
We arrived at the race track and a decision had to be made - turn round here and head back, or continue, cross the bridge and back along Boyer side.
No decision needed, we were cold wet and wanted warmth ... lets head back! no one argued ... well except for Geoff - but the group held firm - the call was "need a coffee and lets get out of this fog" ! Back to Dome ...
The group took off single file and at pace, the road conditions had improved and so had the weather, the leaders picked up the pace to 40kms, 45, 50, 55kms plus ... yes speed was up and there was no holding back we gunned it all the way back to Granton ... thank god Granton - stop and regroup - wow that was fast. After a quick pause we took a casual spin into Glenorchy reaching the bike track ... the hammer came down a few times just to bleed the legs of excess energy as we cruised back to Dome for a chat, a coffee and warmth ...
Great ride thanks to all ... Ok - till next week ...
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

sthxred

Postby sthxred » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Does anyone know what time Sundays ride from Dome leaves? Is it 8am???

gauteng

Postby gauteng » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:39 pm

apologies for the non reply !!

Sundays Ride are "ad hoc" almost always discussed and finalised at the saturday post ride coffee,

if there is somthing going on we normaly arrange for 08h00 to 08h30
Saturdays at 8 are definite though

feel free to join anytime

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Southern Tasmanian Cycling Club are holding training rides by senior riders at the Club
Sunday at the Cenotaph 10am. The route will be chosen depending upon how many riders and the ability of each rider.
Distance: 40k to 70km
Difficulty: Medium to High (depending on what you want to do)
Steady training ride with stops for punctures or mechanicals and picking up people at the top of climbs.