The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

winstonw

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby winstonw » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:06 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Just to clarify... No shooting pains and no numbness... Just a deep muscle type ache.
Sore in the fleshy muscle just below and behind the knee. Deep in the rear of the thigh which I can massage a bit by digging deep. Also deep in the butt. Nothing like my previous issues.
yes, deep muscle ache can be all neuro. though muscle and nerve stretching and seriously deep tissue massage would be help clarify.
your back stiffness would improve a lot with the stuff I mentioned above.

the discs start to harden in your late 40s. but pain can come from vertebrae end plates (the top and bottom surfaces that sandwich the disc).
end plates can go through two phases of degeneration recognized on MRI, called Modic Type I and II. The first tends to be more painful, and the pain is generally in the lower back, not the butt or legs, though referred pain is also possible.

anyway, in general most low back pain improves with all the lifestyle improvements I've mentioned so often, and the exercises.

the problem with backs is they don't get great blood flow, esp if you are sedentary or do repetitive bending over/lifting.
in the absence of good blood flow, you get poor tissue repair....hence the back tends to wear out well before other tissue in westerners.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:49 pm

The day before I did the longer ride last week I was on the mag trainer for the first proper session this autumn / winter ... I think that may have been the trigger for my problems. I have always felt that the HT works the rear of my legs a lot more than road or rollers.
Anyway pulled up ok from a very tough CX race Monday ... Big stretching session Tuesday night with a day off the bike. Bit of aching today but I normally get that after a good stretch.
Fingers crossed for a longer ride with climbs today to test my theory !

filip

Postby filip » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Was reminded yesterday why cyclists should wear glasses when riding. During my training trip after work yesterday, it was becoming a bit dark and i decided to take my sunnies off. Within 10 minutes something quite big ended up flying in my eye. It did hurt straight away and it within seconds it started to hurt that much that i had to stop. I thought that the insect was stinging me, luckily that was not the case. Lesson learned, don’t take off your glasses !

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm

filip wrote:Was reminded yesterday why cyclists should wear glasses when riding. During my training trip after work yesterday, it was becoming a bit dark and i decided to take my sunnies off. Within 10 minutes something quite big ended up flying in my eye. It did hurt straight away and it within seconds it started to hurt that much that i had to stop. I thought that the insect was stinging me, luckily that was not the case. Lesson learned, don’t take off your glasses !
This is another good reason why you should always have a bottle with water in it on ya bike. :idea: Good for flushing your eyes or if you step off ya bike and scrap your skin away. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Well speaking of training, I decided to dust off the old roadie and throw it on the rollers and go for a spin, after a 10 month hiatus... Yep 2 ten minute intervals were in order... Completed the first one and after 8 minutes during the second interval I had to stop and race to the bathroom!! Oh well tomorrow should be easier

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Due to the horrible weather I was stuck inside on the trainer today.

Did a simulated hill climb session while watching the Alpe d'Huez stage of this year's TDF. They make climbing look so easy! :lol:

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 pm

filip wrote:Was reminded yesterday why cyclists should wear glasses when riding. During my training trip after work yesterday, it was becoming a bit dark and i decided to take my sunnies off. Within 10 minutes something quite big ended up flying in my eye. It did hurt straight away and it within seconds it started to hurt that much that i had to stop. I thought that the insect was stinging me, luckily that was not the case. Lesson learned, don’t take off your glasses !
took a direct hit in the eye from a cicada at about 60km/h last weekend :\

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

well 3rd week in brisbane, and working on riding more often (hills are of putting) I attempted to ride up the old gap road from kenmore, I managed to get to the round about but that was me spent, hopefully i'll make past that in the up coming weeks!

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:57 am

I had great training ride yesterday. It was a 4 hr enduro ride including a climb of Mt Kemba to Mt Keira. My legs felt a bit heavy to start with but got better the further I climbed.

So I was feeling pretty satisfied and happy after the ride....then I rolled my left ankle walking down a fight of stairs. :( I can barely put any weight on it this morning. I don't think it's anything serious so I'm holding out hope that it'll resolve itself in a few days!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Have been slack on the roadie, finally got out on a ride on Sunday, decided to tackle mount cootha, went up the back side! That was fun :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:28 am

I had a heap of bugs last night . Keep the mouth shut and the glasses on. The bigger more solid ones hurt when you hit them at 30km/h. :shock:

I had a nice 91km ride yesterday. I started off fairly slack but got moving a bit better later on. My calf muscles were ridiculously tight all day so that wasn't good.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:48 am

Training ... I wish!. Really struggling this time with the cold. Managed a whole 20kms today but was already starting to freeze! .
Makes me think of moving back to Sydney !

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:27 am

Well not in the best condition, finished work at 1.40 am, then back up at 4:50 to do the Atlitude group ride in Kenmore, i sware i hate hills, but to enjoy riding down here i've got to get used to them, I just get dropped but o wells, I nearly did the whole ride, hopefully I can get to more, Sleep time now :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I had a great ride today - very enjoyable. :) I'm looking for another good one tomorrow too. 8)

I got home and noticed I seemed to have bugs splattered all over my shaved legs. :lol:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am

Great Ride with the Altitude Cycling through Brookefield today, enjoyed it, now to just get my fitness up for next year :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:57 pm

rode up Donna Buang with a couple of club-mates on Sunday. one of them told me he only does a few rides a week, maybe 200km total, and doesn't believe in 'base miles'. he then proceeds to smash out a 1hr 5 mins ascent time (record is 45 mins), before we turned around and did it again!

q: should i just give it all up and take up drinking?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:15 pm

jules21 wrote:rode up Donna Buang with a couple of club-mates on Sunday. one of them told me he only does a few rides a week, maybe 200km total, and doesn't believe in 'base miles'.
Lot to be said about quality over quantity...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:28 am

I had a good 67km yesterday - it was nice to not have the calf problem I had on Sunday afternoon. I smashed one of my previous times on a Strava segment too.

I'm feeling stronger and better. :)
jules21 wrote:rode up Donna Buang with a couple of club-mates on Sunday. one of them told me he only does a few rides a week, maybe 200km total, and doesn't believe in 'base miles'. he then proceeds to smash out a 1hr 5 mins ascent time (record is 45 mins), before we turned around and did it again!

q: should i just give it all up and take up drinking?
Some people will not ride for a while and then turn around and do some awesome rides.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 pm

tried to do some of the river loop today, also got lost in indooroopilly, went the wrong way, lucky i had just gone down a nice hill before the dead end at the golf course :( all in all nice ride nice weather lots of bikes out :)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:05 am

Rode Mt Baw Baw from Noojee return for the first time yesterday. 97km 2977m elevation gain. Last 6.8km of the climb averaged 12.6%!

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Baw baw is a gooden! Did it a couple of weeks ago. Won't be back there till next 7 peaks!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:02 am

Put in my first "long ride" training yesterday, 140+20 later in the day. I wasn't prepared for the fact that the legs get damn sore after 4 hours. Done it before, but first time trying to stay below 145bpm HR, which I did for the most part. Wondering if the training "dose" ends up feeling the same, no matter how long you spend on the bike to get it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:23 am

I've had a pretty huge week - over 500km in six days.

I've managed to get my heart rate to stay much lower on any big efforts, and to also come back down quickly. And despite all the kilometres, my legs aren't really that sore either.

On the other hand, I've got no interest in sitting on a bicycle saddle for a few days. I do feel tired. So big improvements over the last month or two.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Halfway through cramming for the festive 500. 126km down - 125 to go. Wouldn't be too bad but I'm a little tired after Falls, Hotham and Buffalo..

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:07 am

Almost fell over getting out of bed. The things we do for a fabric patch... :-)