The Slog 9-Nov

matt.blak

The Slog 9-Nov

Postby matt.blak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:36 pm

If you are looking for a great ride in the Gippsland countryside I can strongly recommend The Slog http://www.theslog.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good scenery and quiet country roads with feed & drink stations along the route.

The atmosphere is awesome, all volunteers having a good time, lots of families riding as well.
Held annually, The Slog raises much needed awareness & support for the local charity, the 4Cs Crisis Relief Centre.

Routes from 50km - 150km.

Early bird pricing is $45 until 9-Sep, then it is $75. Includes a few goodies.

This is the first ride I put on my calendar every year.

Matt
Wilier GTR

danny the boy

Re: The Slog 9-Nov

Postby danny the boy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

First timer. Doing the 100km but have to back up the following day for the Mt Macedon Challenge. Luckily it looks fairly flat.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm

I was planning to do this last year but it was the same weekend as the Eastlink ride. I'm defo going to do it this year though. It'll be a tough few weeks with Around the bay and Kinglake either side of this!

What sort of pace would the majority of participants be riding at for this one?

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:31 pm

I did the 100 last year and it a great event. Last year's route - slightly different to this year's route - had some of the most beautiful countryside I've seen. Really worthy cause, great organisers and a top day. Not many people do it, so it is very different to ATB (and much better in my opinion). The 150 might average quicker speeds, but I don't think anyone cares on the day. Highly recommended.

racka

Postby racka » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Just registered for this, looking forward to it. Looking like there's going to be about 10 of us doing it too which will be good.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Argh! Too many things to choose from - I am only just starting out in cycling, primarily as a commuter with a side order of event rides.

I could easily handle the 30Km, probably the 70Km, the 100 is unlikely and the 150 is out of the question.

Hoestly - the thing that has me interested is the Jersey (AT) $30. But I would feel bad wearing it without joining the event.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:53 pm

matt.blak wrote:Early bird pricing is $45 until 9-Sep, then it is $75. Includes a few goodies.
Matt
Website says Early Bird pricing ended on 30/8 :(
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 pm

apologies if I misled anyone, I am pretty sure I go the early biird date from the web site, but it was register by 31/8 for early bird

It is a pretty casual ride, lots of people riding that don't look very Pro. An average in the low - mid 20's would be common I think.

Matt
Wilier GTR

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Bumping this up the list for anybody looking for a challenge after Around the Bay:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Paid up and raring to go - cannot miss an opportunity to ride an event so close to home. Am doing the 100Km ride at this stage, but may bump up to 150Km - depends upon the day and the people in my group.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 am

Wave as you go past my house haha. And try and knock off the strava segment coming down the hill out of Drouin. It's the only one I have left. :D

It really is a nice course. Have fun
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 am

toppity wrote:Wave as you go past my house haha. And try and knock off the strava segment coming down the hill out of Drouin. It's the only one I have left. :D

It really is a nice course. Have fun

Cheers mate - shall do. Re that segment, I've only ridden it 2-3 times and every time was into a ridiculous westerly, so the times are abysmal. I'll give it a crack on the day if conditions are favourable - may need to get a run up off someone else's wheel...lol

cheers

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:42 am

So it was the Slog at the weekend there. I did the 150km run. Did anybody else survive the worst that nature could throw at us?

The good:
the organisation - well organised and marshalled course, good signposts and people at every major interchange to guide the participants
the location - looks like it could be a beautiful ride in decent weather
the burger and protein shake at the end
the entertainment at the end - good effort from the organisers, pity the weather let you down so badly on the day, but there was plenty to see and eat and kid friendly too.

The bad:
the rain, the incessant, pouring rain
the cold
the wind: horrible wind blowing from the SW was a constant source of misery for the whole ride apart from a very brief northbound stretch. The slog, quite literally, from Drouin back the finishing line was thoroughly miserable into a strong, headwind.

I reckon on a good day, this would be an amazing ride, shame the weather let the organisers down so badly, it was a really bad day for the event. If they can guarantee the weather next year will be dry I'll be back!
Last edited by djw47 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Great effort mate.

I did my first SLOG and was going to do 100Km, but after getting wet and taking the wrong turn, did the 150Km (147.9km to be precise...lol) and agree with your summary about the weather and the fact that there are some fantastic riding routes throughout West / South Gippsland.

I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much support there was for the riders and had the weather been better, I reckon the after-ride entertainment would've been more strongly attended.

Next year, I'll have another crack at it!

cheers

racka

Postby racka » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 pm

I have to say it was probably the least enjoyable of the event rides I've done so far. I'm glad I completed the 150km though, because I was unenthusiastic about the whole thing even before we started riding.

The ride definitely lived up to its name though.

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 am

I rode the 100km route, last year I did 150km, but I have done less training this year, and with the weather I didn't want to be out for too long. I got into a few small groups but they were either too fast & I couldn't keep up or they broke up after a few km's, I ended up doing most of the ride on my own. The roads and scenery were good, hills not too steep or long. The rest stop in Drouin for lunch was a good break. Coming out of Drouin, there was one small area that noticeably 3-5 degrees warmer, it didn't last long. The last 30km into the SW wind was a bit of a grind.

I did the ride in just over 3.5 hours and managed to stay warm & dry. I was rocking a mudguard on the back and it was so good to not have all that water spray up my back.
It is a great ride, this was my third one and the only one that has rained. I like the new route and starting area, it avoids the Highway and drops you straight into quite rural roads.

I will be back next year.
Wilier GTR

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:07 pm

I was working inside all day and watched people riding past the front of my place from relative comfort. I live on the final drag between Longwarry and Nar Nar Goon. No one looked happy.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:14 pm

toppity wrote:I was working inside all day and watched people riding past the front of my place from relative comfort. I live on the final drag between Longwarry and Nar Nar Goon. No one looked happy.

I didn't feel too bad on that last Drouin to NNG leg mate - managed to get into a paceline group of 8-10 riders and we rolled turns the entire way - MUCH easier!

No good on the Slog downhill segment though, only did about 49Kph - poor effort, I know.

cheers