What Handle bars do you use on your touring bike

singlespeedscott

Re: What Handle bars do you use on your touring bike

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 pm

The use of aluminum for handlebars had been around for 80 odd years. I would say that it is a mature technology that can be trusted.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:37 pm

I don't dispute that aluminum isn't a good material for handlebars...it's just with regard to strength, steel and titanium are stronger...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 pm

rifraf wrote:An unusual looking option coming soon from Velo Orange:
http://instagram.com/p/efV0cRgVkw/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cannot see your picture (or whatever it is). The website wants me to log in :|

With ~36 years of riding bikes with alloy bars I have never broken one (did manage to bend one in a nasty spill once) and I don't think I have ever seen anyone else bust one.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 am

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:An unusual looking option coming soon from Velo Orange:
http://instagram.com/p/efV0cRgVkw/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cannot see your picture (or whatever it is). The website wants me to log in :|
Here you go ...

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:34 am

Aushiker wrote:
Here you go ...

Andrew
Thanks Andrew :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

satanas

Postby satanas » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:31 am

These days 3T are saying bars should be replaced every 2 or 3 years to prevent fatigue failures, but I'm still using a couple of their Merckx SL bars I've had since 1982. Never broken an alu bar yet, or any other sort of bar for that matter.

Re shape: I've looked at the 3T Ergonova too, and been tempted, but I don't like wide bars and that's the only sort they offer; 40cm C-C seems almost extinct. [sigh]

Since the Op is talking about an Ogre, I assume that drop bars probably aren't on the cards though, and getting them in the right place might prove difficult. I've used normal (5-6 degree) flat bars, with and without bar-ends, and never liked them. For me 10-11 degree bars are much more comfortable on the wrists, and I use them with these Ergon grips: http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The integrated bar-ends give another 3-4 positions for me.

For a touring bike CF bars have their good and bad points. On the plus side, they should damp vibration better than metal bars. OTOH, damage is much more likely, and there are limitations on what can be attached to most of them.

The Jones bars look very interesting, but I haven't brought myself to pay the $ to try them yet; maybe if the Surly ones become available locally.

There are lots of options these days, and there are plenty of shapes out there to keep anyone amused - or horrified - for a long, long time.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:34 am

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi Wingnut,
it was this pic that made me realise you'd gotten your Rohloff, seeing the shifter.

I think your bars look great and applaud your choice of grips.
You have been busy upgrading your wonderful Troll.

How are you enjoying your Edelux?
Its still one of my favorite bike purchases where I've had no second guesses or wished I'd bought something else.
I also pretty happy so far with my Philips dynamo tail-light but its an early days appreciation currently.

I've not done anything yet about new bars and it wouldnt surprise me if the Jones bar slips further down the priority list.
Theres nothing I feel like complaining about with my Titan J-bar.
I do tend to get a bit of finger numbness the next day after a long ride but I probable just need to do some more hand position shifting as I ride.

Happy Spinning :)

Wingnut

What Handle bars do you use on your touring bike

Postby Wingnut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks rifraf,

Yes I've been busy making some upgrades...the bars are from Watson Bikes in the US, a great price in Ti and they were custom made in width and gauge for touring...the grips feel great but cost too much as I bought the Rohloff version from SJS, couldn't find them anywhere else? The front light is in a better spot now too, no shadow from the rack loop out front.

Seems like I've wanted a Rohloff forever and went for it when the opportunity came, I've only really ridden it in the car park atm but it felt natural for me straight away...

If there was one thing I could add it would be an extra bidon mount under the down tube as I have the earlier Troll model...maybe if I get it repainted some time...

Cheers...
Last edited by Wingnut on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Wingnut wrote:Thanks rifraf,

Yes I've been busy making some upgrades...the bars are from Watson Bikes in the US, a great price in Ti and they were custom made in width and gauge for touring...the grips feel great but cost too much as I bought the Rohloff version from SJS, couldn't find them anywhere else? The front light is in a better spot now too, no shadow from the rack loop out front.

Seems like I've wanted a Rohloff forever and went for it when the opportunity came, I've only really ridden it in the car park atm but it felt natural for me straight away...

If there was one thing I could add it would be an extra bison mount under the down tube as I have the earlier Troll model...maybe if I get it reprinted some time...

Cheers...
I remember you mentioning the Ti bars.
Great to hear you were able to get them ok.

With regards that extra bidon mount, if I wanted to do a tour where I felt I'd benefit from the extra mount, I'd consider a frame tube wrapping of inner-tube and a couple of stainless radiator hose clips like Cass Gilbert did on his Troll and our own WarrenH utilises on the suspension forks of his Giant Anthem.
I put off for months my Ogre purchase due to an inability of local agents to be able to confirm a frame purchase would definitely come with said down-tube mount. Even jensonusa was a little wary of a phone confirmation until they'd had some time to look hard at my question.
I'd have been riding a lot sooner if I'd put more thought into it and read a little harder Cass's blog and some of the posts of readers rides in our forum here. :oops:

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 pm

There's also rivet nuts but they can come loose too...I think I'd just use a water bladder of some type if I had too...