Titanium vs Steel Fight Spreads To Locks

Nate

Re: Titanium vs Steel Fight Spreads To Locks

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:04 am

I'm astounded why people make such noise when a device that was designed to cut through the material a lock was made from, cuts through the material the lock was made from.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:22 pm

One of the virtues of the Abus ringlock. Thieves may be able to cut the cable/chain, but it's going to be awfully difficut to cut the lock bolt across the rim.

Ultimately a pro thief may just carry the bike off to their van, but most street thieves are going to ride the bike off, and with the ringlock they can't. I'm quite happy to leave my loaded touring bike locked with this, even in larger towns, as most theft attempts will be a ride-off, and once they start to try and wheel it, the bike won't move. Many people will be totally thrown by this. Even if a thief works out it can be carried, 30kgs of luggage plus 17kg of bike is a bit much for most.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:18 am

As they say, park right next to the best looking, least protected bike in the street. :)

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm

il padrone wrote:One of the virtues of the Abus ringlock. Thieves may be able to cut the cable/chain, but it's going to be awfully difficut to cut the lock bolt across the rim.

Ultimately a pro thief may just carry the bike off to their van, but most street thieves are going to ride the bike off, and with the ringlock they can't. I'm quite happy to leave my loaded touring bike locked with this, even in larger towns, as most theft attempts will be a ride-off, and once they start to try and wheel it, the bike won't move. Many people will be totally thrown by this. Even if a thief works out it can be carried, 30kgs of luggage plus 17kg of bike is a bit much for most.
That's a nice looking bit of gear. Now it's just nick able extras like lights that are a problem.
You have officially become your parents.