Does anyone else cycle with their dog?

redsonic

Does anyone else cycle with their dog?

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Just wondering how many of you take your dog with you when you ride?
I love to combine my 2 favourite activities; cycling and walking the dog.
My guy is just small enough (9kg) to fit on the bike and big enough to run beside me when we get to the park. So, we both get a workout.

I had to accessorise my flat bar roadie quite a bit.

Steel rear carry rack 2nd hand on Gumtree - very heavy but solid;
Bottom of a plastic pet carrier; perfect fit into the the rack;
Folding Pletscher centre stand - essential to get the dog on and off the bike;
Doggie waterbottle (called H2O4K9) comes with a drinking lid and fits into bidon;
Wider tyres to cope with gravel and grass;
Larger rear cassette;
The dog is strapped in with a harness and wears doggles to protect his eyes.

Issues I have encountered:
Bike is very top heavy with the load on the back;
Harness has come into use a couple of times during emergency stops :| ;
I can't stand up for the hills or when taking off at the lights (rocks my passenger a bit too much!)
Car drivers have stopped in the bike lane in front of me to take photos :? ;
Dog needs to be well trained on leash to run beside me.

Does anyone else take their dogs with them?
Have you had to modify your bike? What did you use?
Any drawbacks?

biker jk

Re: Does anyone else cycle with their dog?

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:04 pm

The dog on the back of the bike is fine but I believe it's illegal to walk your dog on a leash while cycling.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Sure, as part of the (Queensland) road rules, you can't cycle while leading a dog, but I can't see why this would apply in a park.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Cute!! Looks like he's loving it. :)

I'll never know the joy of cycling with my 2 best friends and they'll have to make do with heads out of the car windows. As funny as it would be to try, dog carriers and Great Danes do not mix!! And before anyone mentions it, not do rollerskates!!

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Hmm, sounds like you discovered the downsides of Great Dane roller skating the hard way. :wink:

We met a lovely young black Great Dane today - she reminded us of a Somali model; elegant, slim, with loooong legs.

Maybe you should try dog scootering with your pair - I imagine you could get some speed up!

GH

Postby GH » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:09 pm

redsonic wrote:Sure, as part of the (Queensland) road rules, you can't cycle while leading a dog, but I can't see why this would apply in a park.
Yes definitely not legal on a road/road reserve in QLD. Lead animal from vehicle, one of our neighbours got a fine for same about 6 months ago,
walking greyhound type dogs from mountain bike. $375 IIRC. Needless to say doesn't do it any more on the road.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, used to take my Red Kelpie mountain biking into what was then pine plantation at Mango Hill ( now North Lakes), Brisbane. No lead, she just trotted alongside the bike until we got to the forest, then the only time I got in front was on the downhill. And after a hour long ride she still had energy to play frisbee when we got home and I just wanted to collapse on the front lawn.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:56 pm

The one downside to Canberra's many great mtb paths is that they're in nature reserves. I've got a standard poodle that we just can't seem to tire.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Interesting the varied approach to road rules and accepted practice. Cycling with a dog on a lead is pretty routine for Dutch cyclists.
Last edited by il padrone on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

phineas

Postby phineas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Love it!

I don't think I have the skill to put my (small) dog on the back, but often thought of some kind cargo trailer.

I have put my cat in the front basket of my 'leisure bike' (whatever those retro style bikes are called). I got a lot of people pointing. It was a bit embarrassing :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

GH

Postby GH » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm

il padrone wrote:
Interesting the varied approach to road rules and accepted practice. Cycling with a dog on a lead is pretty routine for Dutch cyclists.
Ah yes, no lead, no offence, dog, what dog? ;)

Oh the one sitting beside me you mean, never seen it before......

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Would anyone question this guy's ability to control his dogs from his pushbike?

A bit long at 10minutes, but watch it for a bit and you'll get the idea....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:10 pm

biker jk wrote:The dog on the back of the bike is fine but I believe it's illegal to walk your dog on a leash while cycling.
Walking your dog while cycling is an accident waiting to happen. Around my area a husband and wife team regularly do it. :roll: All it takes is for those dogs to see something like a rabbit for instance and the two of them are going down like dominoes.

Anyhow, neither of my bikes are suitable for what the topic starter is doing, and I don't have a dog at the moment. Not that I wouldn't mind one - as I love them.

Personally though - I wouldn't do that anyhow. I'm just too cautious and wary. :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Mate of mine looking after his very old, blind, dog 8)

He joins us on camping tours and all :D

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I tried to teach my dog to cycle but he couldn't get the hang of it. So I now leave him at home.

Norman didn't have the same issues:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:20 pm

We cyclists really have to worry once dogs get behind the wheel....

gr8dane

Postby gr8dane » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:48 am

There is a product called Ezy walker ? which we use with our dalamation. Its a post that attaches to the seatpost , has a spring system buklit in which acts as a shock absorber. Very safe as the dog is alsways on the left hand side of the bike, and becasue of the design cannot get caufgt up in the wheels. The spring loaded system is great, even if she spies a rabbit there is enough give in the system so that it wont pull you over - highly recommend same

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
biker jk wrote:The dog on the back of the bike is fine but I believe it's illegal to walk your dog on a leash while cycling.
Walking your dog while cycling is an accident waiting to happen. Around my area a husband and wife team regularly do it. :roll: All it takes is for those dogs to see something like a rabbit for instance and the two of them are going down like dominoes.

Anyhow, neither of my bikes are suitable for what the topic starter is doing, and I don't have a dog at the moment. Not that I wouldn't mind one - as I love them.

Personally though - I wouldn't do that anyhow. I'm just too cautious and wary. :oops:
I used to cycle with the dog, when we were both a bit younger.
Take it from me - never try this activity with the dog's lead attached to your wrist
So i quickly "learned" that the better way is to attach dog's lead to one's leather belt, around your waist, which is basically the centre of your "gravity"
Interestingly, a Canadian lady in my local area had a bike-specific dog lead attachment on her MTB.

Dog is getting a bit long in the tooth for this level of exertion these days, and at this time of year brisbane humidity is tough on dogs.
So occasionally i load up the car and take a short drive to a quiet place where he can follow me on the bike.

But i do better on Strava when i don't have to wait for him to sniff and pi## all the time.

Image Image

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 am

My brother used to get a tow from our German Shepherd when we were kids - the dog loved it. Luckily we lived on a quiet road :lol:

There's a cool video on Flow of a guy riding MTB trails with his dog, but Google doesn't want me to find it...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:42 am

gr8dane wrote:There is a product called Ezy walker ? which we use with our dalamation. Its a post that attaches to the seatpost , has a spring system buklit in which acts as a shock absorber. Very safe as the dog is alsways on the left hand side of the bike, and becasue of the design cannot get caufgt up in the wheels. The spring loaded system is great, even if she spies a rabbit there is enough give in the system so that it wont pull you over - highly recommend same
Ah thanks - that is probably the device that my Canadian friend used to attach her big dog to bike.

phineas

Postby phineas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:42 am

I used to ride with a dog a long time ago, the safest (only way I found!) was to ride with the loop of the leash just hooked on one finger, so if your dog al if a sudden stopped to sniff something, the leash would slip off your finger easily without causing you to lose balance or get jerked sideways or anything.

Obviously this is only suitable if your dog is the type to not run away if the leash is let go if momentarily. And you do have to stop to get the leash again which is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 pm

I reckon forum member Nobody has something similar to this.

Dogs are the best people :wink:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm

I was looking into this one called the Bike Tow Leash. It won a design award and attaches down low on the rear triangle. It has a natural stretch which acts to dampen any pulling force. It was the only one I could find recommended for dogs as small as my Border Terrier.

Anyway, I started training him on some very quiet paths nearby and he runs just fine with me holding the leash. I hold the end of the leash with the palm of my hand against the bars so if he runs on the other side of a pole, the leash comes free and I won't come down.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:I reckon forum member Nobody has something similar to this.

Yeah, I've got one. The wife mainly uses it to walk the dog. Works well and our dog is 42Kg. There is a couple of things that need to be done to prevent a big dog from twisting the pole around the seatpost. One is to discard the original plastic pole to seatpost interface and put part of a tube in there as it has more grip. Also, more important than that is to tie a rope from the outer end of the pole to the back of the bike near the rear axle.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:04 pm

redsonic wrote:I was looking into this one called the Bike Tow Leash. It won a design award and attaches down low on the rear triangle. It has a natural stretch which acts to dampen any pulling force. It was the only one I could find recommended for dogs as small as my Border Terrier.

Anyway, I started training him on some very quiet paths nearby and he runs just fine with me holding the leash. I hold the end of the leash with the palm of my hand against the bars so if he runs on the other side of a pole, the leash comes free and I won't come down.
I have one of these and it works excellently. Yes, excellently.