Fish Oil

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
RonK

Fish Oil

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 am

I saw it on tv - truckies should eat oranges. :lol:

But I have tried those supplements mentioned by Zep, and also fish oil. They didn't seem make any noticable difference.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

matagi

Re: Fish Oil

Postby matagi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:42 am

Foo, try a warm bath next time - very relaxing, and sometimes that is enough.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah that's a bit hard Matagi, being in the truck all week. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:44 am

The link below has some very helpful looking info some of which I follow for completely different reasons, but seems to make sense.

Basically reduce inflammation by avoiding certain foods & *try to follow a very *alkaline diet.

*An alkaline diet in my opinion is one of the best things you can do for yourself i.e. (Vegan or vegetarian or low meat/dairy/processed food consumption), but you know you hear the same thing all the time blahblahblah. Maybe try it SOLID for at least 7 days.

http://www.healthline.com/health-slides ... -arthritis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yeah that's a bit hard Matagi, being in the truck all week. :)

Foo
Ah! Ok, didn't realise this was "on the road". Maybe you need to look at your sleeping setup and make a few modifications.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks for the thread Foo, hope some of the suggestions have given you some relief.
Zep, I want to try Veda Pura. Where do you buy this product mate?
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Pedaling wrote:Thanks for the thread Foo, hope some of the suggestions have given you some relief.
Cheers,

Darrin.
Most health food stores stock it up here in Brisbane. (Healthy life, Go Vita, Mrs Flannery's) Not sure if those stores exist down in your parts ? Usually between $18 - $20 for 1kg.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:56 am

Foo
I also suffer arthritis, hence why I am willing to give anything a try- several orthopedic surgeons , doctors and physio's have recommended using borax to assist with arthritis. I have been on this for 4 months now having tried fish oil, glucosamine etc which really are just maintenance at best, waste of money unhealthy/environmentally unsustainable at worst). The borax is the one thing that worked alongside exercise.
I don't want to force it onto people but the below link explains a lot:
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also not several of the glucosamine/arthritis tablets already have boron in them but you can get a kg of boron yourself from the hardware store and mix it yourself.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Holy crap, my head hurts after reading about half of that. I think I will need to devote some more time to the rest of it.:shock:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Pedaling wrote:Thanks for the thread Foo, hope some of the suggestions have given you some relief.
Cheers,

Darrin.
Most health food stores stock it up here in Brisbane. (Healthy life, Go Vita, Mrs Flannery's) Not sure if those stores exist down in your parts ? Usually between $18 - $20 for 1kg.
Thank you very much for the reply Zep, I will get out and have a good look.
There is bound to be something close to me.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Hey Zep is this the stuff ya talking about?

Foo

Goal 6000km

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Hey Zep is this the stuff ya talking about?

Foo

That's the stuff :) Some of the larger health food stores (Healthy Life, Go-Vita) have 20% off on the first Monday of every month which is when I usually stock up with 4 bags (AT) $16 each.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Ok I must try and find where they are. I bought that and a bottle of zinc liquid = $30 :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Regular price should be about $20 for the 1kg bag which goes a very very long way. There are other similar "Paleo" seed mix/breakfast cereals which are about the $30/1kg bag price range. Some are very "trendy' looking with their fancy glittery gold packaging, but the ingredients are much the same. Happy chewing :wink:

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Eating fish is not the same as taking fish oil capsules.

You're better off eating the fish (canned fish that occupy the upper end of the food chain are fine... tuna, salmon, mackerel, bonito...).

The health benefits of the omega-3 and related lipids from fish are only present when you eat the fish, not when you take the fish oil capsules in isolation (this is also true of things like antioxidants in vegetables.... veggies good, antioxidant tablets useless).

Eat food, people. Your body has evolved to use it properly. ;-)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Quite allot Foo - http://nutritionfacts.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:03 am

not sure if the original poster is still following this, but most people that take fish oil for arthritis relief do not take enough of the oil. Also you do not need to take fish oil. You can use Flax seed oil (aka Linseed oil). It has the same omega oils as fish oil but is plant based and doesn't have the same fishy after taste :)

But basically if you take a couple of fish oil per day you need to increase that. I found that fish oil or flax seed oil did help my joints if I took lots of them. I was taking 10 x 1000mg fish oil each day for joint relief.

canned fish is fine, fresh fish is better. Blue coloured fish like mackerel, sardines, tuna, etc have higher levels of omega oils than white fish like snapper and whiting. Krill, octopus, squid and any other seafood will also have omega oils and may help.

if you are overweight, then reducing your weight will reduce the stress on the joints and can help reduce the pain.

refined or highly processed carbohydrates (bread, pasta, biscuits, etc, anything made with flour) can increase inflammation in the body and reducing these can help reduce the symptoms of arthritis. Snack on raw nuts and fresh fruit instead of having a sandwich :)

Olive leaf may also help :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:09 am

Yes I am still watching it. :D

Foo

Goal 6000km

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:41 am

foo on patrol wrote:Thanks Zep, I do like spuds and tomato but would not say that I eat them excessively though. I probably have been eating more tomato than normal, because we have fresh as in home grown at the moment. :D

I wonder if there is any difference between the normal spud and sweet potato? :|

Foo
This might be a good time to start changing your diet around a bit at a time and logging the results. Getting tested for allergies might help too.

Squashed

Postby Squashed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Thanks Zep, I do like spuds and tomato but would not say that I eat them excessively though. I probably have been eating more tomato than normal, because we have fresh as in home grown at the moment. :D

I wonder if there is any difference between the normal spud and sweet potato? :|
Foo
growing your own food is a good idea. Things like tomatoes and grapes are contaminated with sulpha at the shops. The growers either spray sulpha on them during packing or they put a sulpha pack in with the fruit.

Sweet potatoes (available in orange and white forms) are sweeter but have a lower glycemic index (GI) compared to normal potatoes. Sweet potatoes are better for you in that respects.