Repco Appreciation Society

ChrisWells

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby ChrisWells » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi,

That was certainly an interesting 90 pages to read. Generally it seems there is a lot of love for Repco bikes so I think I found the right place to tell my Repco story. I am sure some of you will appreciate the memories of my Repco

For my 21st birthday in 1984 my dad bought me a Spokeman Cycle bike from the shop in O'Conner ACT, it was a great bike that I rode to work every day and I loved it (not sure if anyone remembers them but they were very popular in Canberra an I still seem some around). However after 6 years I got hit my a car and the bike was never the same so I sold it for parts and bought a Repco Elite RX100 in January 1992.

During 1991 I looked at a lot of bikes with componentry 300ex, 400ex and 500ex and decided I was going to spend about $800 on a bike with 500ex group set as I really liked the indexed shifting over the lower specced gears. But as I was about to get married decided to wait until I got back to Canberra after my wedding in Hobart on the 1st of January 1992. My wife to be sister and husband had their house broken into a few months earlier and both their bikes stolen, the insurance cover was $1000 and he was told as she doesn't really want he could spend the whole $1000 a new bike form him but not any more. On the morning of my Wedding I was hanging around with him chatting and he asked if I like pushbikes. We had never really met before then as he had been overseas in the UK for about a year and we were both happy when we found out we hand a passion in common. He showed me a magazine with an article about the Repco Elite RX100 with a black/purple marble frame with bright yellow forks, the article said the main features they liked and the reason for naming the bike as their pick of the year to buy was the great value, the good choice of componentry, the great handling and the 2cm wider handlebars compared to normal to allow better steering and allowing the chest to open more for better breathing. After I finished reading the article h told me this bike has lots of great reviews and is the bike he wants to buy, but it is $1499 RRP and the local shop will not go below $1199. I told him that while RX100 is great I had been testing bikes around the $800 mark and plan to buy one when I get back with 500ex componentry. He said that sadly he felt he would have to settle for 500ex as well.

Anyway fast forward two weeks to my first day back at work and I was riding the Spokeman bike home and saw my wife walking home from the bus stop and stopped to walk with her and chat. I complained how bad the bike felt with the bent frame and she said there is a new guy at work who said I should buy a Repco bike off him at Big W as he works there on the weekend. I told her I wanted a good bike and not a cheap Big W bike but agreed to go to Big W with her on the weekend.

Saturday morning when I drove to Big W she told me I was going the wrong way and I realised she meant Big B Bicycles which instantly made me a lot happier. We went into the shop and the guy recognised her and said to me I have a great deal for you and showed me a nice Red and Black Marble Repco Elite RX100 saying we have it on special for $699. I took it for a ride and it as a great bike, certainly better than any other bike I had test ridden and agreed to buy it. I was told we are special ordering them in at that price and I can chose between Red and Black or another colour and showed me the brochure of the purple and black with Yellow forks. I told my wife that is the bike I told you about your brother in law wants. We phone up Hobart and he was very happy to get the bike for $699 so we bought two identical bikes and sent one to Hobart. I thought I wanted a small but the shop convinced me I should get a medium and that is the only decision I regretted.

The interesting thing is that the shop told me that no-one choses the Purple colour. I wonder why that was the one in the bike magazine, maybe the bike would have sold better of the articles and adds for the bike had the much nicer red and black marble colour. In all the time I rode it to work, races, triathlons etc. I probably saw about 100 other red ones and only one purple one.

Soon after that STI levers became available and my wife's brother in law couldn't resist so spent over $800 to upgrade the bike to Ultegra STI. Seemed crazy to me but he was winning lots of races and to him every second counted. But the good news for me is he gave me all the old componentry

I rode that bike every day to work for 7 years until I hurt my back and couldn't ride at all. All up I did nearly 80,000km on the bike and just before hurting my back had fitted new cluster, chain etc. I kept trying to ride but had no luck, eventually I gave up on the idea of riding it and bought a dual suspension mountain bike and happy to report for the last 15 years have ridden to work nearly every day, have entered a few 24hr races on the bike and a very happy mountain bike rider. I have ridden the Repco a few times over the last few years and it still works perfectly but I just felt so much more at home on the Mountain Bike. But I entered the ride an Oppy competition and was pleased to find I loved the bike, did over 60km on it in a morning with not much back issues so when I didn't win the competition bought a small one. So now I am very happy owning both road and dirt bikes.

As you can probably guess my wife's brother in law bought a new bike for racing and kept the Repco on his trainer until the frame finally broke. But both of have very good memories of riding out Repcos and the bikes have lots of sentimental value, especially to me as my bike reminds me of my wedding day.

The poor Repco has been totally ignored, I put hangers in the garage wall and hung it high and would look at it with fond memories when getting on one of my other bikes. Anyway we are having an extension and the garage had to be partially knocked down so everything had to be taken out. So on my balcony is my collection of bikes including the Repco with a box next to it with all the RX100 components from the other bike. I had a short ride on the bike thought the gears and apart from tyres being generally perished it still works perfectly.

I realise I will never ride the bike again, mainly because I love riding MTB's more than road, but also love the Oppy when I do ride a road bike. But also because it still feels too big.

My plan was to hang it from the roof of the garage once the extension is finished and just look at it, but I feel it would be better if someone else could enjoy it and with the spare group set it should go forever (apart from chains, clusters etc.). I don't really care about money as I realise it is not worth much. Knowing it is being used, looked after and appreciated means more to me. So if there is anyone in the Canberra region interested in it let me know.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Chris, there are many unwanted and unloved top notch 80's and 90's road bikes out there. Your one is loved and holds a lot of sentimental value to you. I reckon you should keep the bike, clean it up nice and mount it proudly in your garage.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 pm

+1 give it a polish and hang it up to display, I doubt you'll find a new owner deserving enough for such a well loved bike. Enjoyed the story, thanks for posting.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm

You will regret it if you pass it on.

I used to ride in the late seventies and rode a custom Hillman from Hillman Cycles in Melbourne before getting a pair of Raleigh Carlton's best road and track bikes which of course I off loaded along the way and regretted it. Now I am back to an old Hillman again that I found on ebay and refurbished and am loving it.

Should have kept the old bikes you see.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Your story freaked me out !
Same era and shops as me..I was only at the house a few weeks ago of the guy that owned Spokesman, Doug..
I have 1 spokesman :) , 1 victory tri and and olympic 12 + a gazillion others..
Pm sent..
Chris :mrgreen:
When in doubt......mumble.

ChrisWells

Postby ChrisWells » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I am glad you enjoyed my story. Is it easy to post pictures on this forum? If so I will take some on the weekend and post them up for you to enjoy.

I am amazed how many poor sad bikes there are at places like Revolve, surely someone loved them once.

The bike is still rather clean. I cleaned it very well about 9 years ago before hanging it up. I got it down for a 40km ride on it about 4 years ago and it worked perfectly, so apart from the tyres and tubes probably perishing in that time it would not take much effort to make it a riding bike again, but it would also make a good display.

Cheers
Chris

Dean6950

Postby Dean6950 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Chris, this is my first post. I only registered to make it as I have no real intention of posting much, if at all. I can't send you a PM because I am a new member. Is there an email address where I could write to you? I also have an interesting Repco story, but would prefer to share it privately before discussing it further here. I definitely enjoyed your memories. They bought back many of my own.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:05 am

ChrisWells wrote: Thanks for the replies. I am glad you enjoyed my story. Is it easy to post pictures on this forum? If so I will take some on the weekend and post them up for you to enjoy.
I'd love to see some pics. To post them, you have to have 10 or more posts, and you link them after uploading to a service like photobucket. I guess the way around the 10 post thing would be to chuck the photos onto photobucket, and post the bare links on here (think it's possible... if not, you might be able to pm me the links). I (or someone else) could re-post them as pictures.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 am

lobstermash wrote: ...To post them, you have to have 10 or more posts...
I think this is an urban myth. Other new members have posted images with a post count of less than 10.
There is a 7 day and 10 real post min for posting items in the For Sale section see rule 2
but no general rule about photos in normal threads see BNA / Australian Cycling Forum Rules
How to post images is set out, in a manner, at How to post images

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 pm

I posted an image in my very first post (a pic of my Riccy 'Blitz' in the Ricardo thread), not knowing any better, and it was accepted.

Maybe that was why ('cos I didn't know I 'couldn't...').
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Jaycomal

Postby Jaycomal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

I've just bought a Repco Nishiki Tri A - black and yellow model with Shimano 600 groupset, making it I think a 1984 model. It's well used but virtually complete, down to the 600 pedals with toe clips etc, but alas, no wheels. Does anyone know the correct wheel size, whether 27 inch or 700C, and were the original hubs Shimano 600 as well? And finally, can point me in the direction of a model year brochure (online). Thanks all.

And also, does anybody know the frame numbering protocol?

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Jaycomal wrote:I've just bought a Repco Nishiki Tri A - black and yellow model with Shimano 600 groupset, making it I think a 1984 model. It's well used but virtually complete, down to the 600 pedals with toe clips etc, but alas, no wheels. Does anyone know the correct wheel size, whether 27 inch or 700C, and were the original hubs Shimano 600 as well? And finally, can point me in the direction of a model year brochure (online). Thanks all.

I've got one too, with all original bits including the 600 pedals. I'm pretty sure I saw in the scanned brochures (somewhere way back in this thread) that mine is 1985. The wheels are a dirty gold/tan anodized Araya from memory. I'll go and take a couple of pics and look at the hubs and frame number of mine (if that's any help at all) for you later in the week. Some idiot sprayed matt black (badly) over the yellow on my head tube. I'd appreciate good pics of where the yellow should start & stop, and any decals on the head tube.

ecru

Postby ecru » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Jaycomal wrote:... And finally, can point me in the direction of a model year brochure (online).
This thread would be of interest.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaycomal

Postby Jaycomal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Thank you for your help. The brochure pretty gives me everything I need to know. The bad news - tracking down some Araya hard anodized rims...

gbyzh

Postby gbyzh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Anyone has any advice on how I should go about adjusting the stem shifter and my front derailleur? I have to pull down really hard on it for it to jump up to the larger chainring, otherwise it just skips and stays in the smaller chainring.

Cheers

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:58 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
Jaycomal wrote:I've just bought a Repco Nishiki Tri A - black and yellow model with Shimano 600 groupset, making it I think a 1984 model. It's well used but virtually complete, down to the 600 pedals with toe clips etc, but alas, no wheels. Does anyone know the correct wheel size, whether 27 inch or 700C, and were the original hubs Shimano 600 as well? And finally, can point me in the direction of a model year brochure (online). Thanks all.

I've got one too, with all original bits including the 600 pedals. I'm pretty sure I saw in the scanned brochures (somewhere way back in this thread) that mine is 1985. The wheels are a dirty gold/tan anodized Araya from memory. I'll go and take a couple of pics and look at the hubs and frame number of mine (if that's any help at all) for you later in the week. Some idiot sprayed matt black (badly) over the yellow on my head tube. I'd appreciate good pics of where the yellow should start & stop, and any decals on the head tube.
I have a pretty extensively rebuilt and updated 1984 Nishiki Tri-A. Absolutely love the frame which is the reason I have had it for about 18 years (after finding it unloved at a Cash Converters). Pretty sure its original wheels were 700c and I have always run 700c wheels on it with no problems. Currently has 10speed Campagnolo Chorus Groupset with Zonda wheels.

UMP2l

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 pm

This is the repco elite rx from Chris' posting at the top of the page. I spent the best part of last saturday arvo at Chris' place talking bikes, cars, who we know , and all sorts of rubbish :lol: I picked up the bike and some some lovely spares as well.
The RX was bought new in 1992 and Chris clocked up 39,000kms on this bike !!! The paintwork is still 9/10.
I gave it a quick degrease and wash, and loosed up all the nuts, getting ready for a minor strip down this weekend. The pannier I suspect weighs a ton..It needs new cables , possibly a new headstem , some detailing , new tyres etc..the seat is a sprung Italian number as the owner had a crook back for a short period. Im tempted to leave it on as Im still recovering from stuffing my lower back ligaments 3 weeks ago.
Does anyone know where the rx sits in the repco 1992 family tree ?

When in doubt......mumble.

Heff

Postby Heff » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:50 pm

paint looks amazing, really vibrant, sounds like a fun and worthwhile adventure
Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa
Waiting For_The Perfect_Koga Miyata

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Love the paint scheme! Hope to see it one day Chris!

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Maybe not the best photos or most scenic backdrop, but I thought it was about time I posted some pictures of the latest configuration of my Repo Nishiki Tri-A. Most recent additions are the Arione saddle and Campagnolo Zonda Wheels, both of which I am really loving.

20131202_064631 by uMP2k, on Flickr

It is certainly far different to the original paint scheme and components.....

choco27

Postby choco27 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:18 pm

First time poster, I own a Repco Superlite which I purchased new early 1990 did a lot of Km's on this bike in that time and have re discovered it in the back of my shed the bike is in immaculate condition but the tyres have perished so it's been sent off to the local bike spa for new tyres pampering and service.
Never realised they were this popular until discovering this forum I will post some pics when I get it back next week, really looking forward to getting back on the saddle.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 am

uMP2k wrote:Maybe not the best photos or most scenic backdrop, but I thought it was about time I posted some pictures of the latest configuration of my Repo Nishiki Tri-A. Most recent additions are the Arione saddle and Campagnolo Zonda Wheels, both of which I am really loving.

It is certainly far different to the original paint scheme and components.....
Actually i think it is a pretty good photo. But with a bike as nice as that any photo is good :)

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 am

choco27 wrote:First time poster, I own a Repco Superlite which I purchased new early 1990 did a lot of Km's on this bike in that time and have re discovered it in the back of my shed the bike is in immaculate condition but the tyres have perished so it's been sent off to the local bike spa for new tyres pampering and service.
Never realised they were this popular until discovering this forum I will post some pics when I get it back next week, really looking forward to getting back on the saddle.
Popular in that they are 1) not too hard to find, 2) reasonable quality for what they are, and 3) a bit retro. There are certainly better bikes, that are much harder to find, but never at such reasonable prices.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:30 pm

elantra wrote:Actually i think it is a pretty good photo. But with a bike as nice as that any photo is good :)
Well thank you kindly!

I have been meaning to give it a good clean down and polish up before posting some pictures on the Bike Gallery thread. The problem I always have with this bike is that I just really like it. I keep being tempted by the latest and lightest carbon wonder, but can never quite make the move and end up just upgrading my components again. That said, I am seriously considering a new bike for the new year.....

choco27

Postby choco27 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Got my new tyres put on the bike still a bit of dust and grime to get off but ready to roll

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Img/Photos/ ... 901279.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Img/Photos/ ... 901277.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;