Bairnsdale to Canberra

Renovator

Bairnsdale to Canberra

Postby Renovator » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Everyone
I'm looking for some advice on the route for a cycling tour from Bairnsdale to Canberra. I know there is a thread for a trip in the opposite direction, but rather than hijack that thread I thought I would ask separately.
I think the leg from Bairnsdale to Orbost vis the rail trail or is it? However Orbost to Bombala is less clear Via Can River or via Delegate. There doesn't appear to be many places to stop on the way to Delegate?
Likewise there doesn't appear to be many options for the leg between Bombala and Cooma and then to Canberra.
I would appreciate the suggestions of the more experienced tourers here.
The trip will be a mixture of camping and motels or equivalent using a touring bike.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks
Russell

WarrenH

Re: Bairnsdale to Canberra

Postby WarrenH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Are you preferring or limited (time wise) to staying on the tarmac roads? If not, I can suggest several interesting routes ... and I'll post photos.

Also, do you know the crazyguyonabike site? ... if you enter a few of the towns that you were hoping to visit into the crazyguy' search facility, you can see how others have incorporated those towns into their routes. Basically every town in SE Oz is (somewhere) in there.

If you like off-roading SE Oz is limitless and unique.

Warren.

PS, When you reach Canberra ... consider doing a lap of the Centenary Trail, that opened last week. The 140+kilometre route that encircles Canberra, will blow you away.

Last edited by WarrenH on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

I am giving some consideration to riding this route with a group after Christmas, but we would go through the Snowy Mts to Corryong and Albury.

There is the Barry Way route - Bairnesdale to Buchan then north via Gelantipy and Suggan Buggan to the Snowy River valley. Then climb Jacobs Ladder to the plateau at Ingebyra, and on to Jindabyne. Once you leave Buchan there is next to nothing in the way of supplies until you get to Jindabyne. A small backpackers at Gelantipy for accommodation and maybe some supplies, then nothing. The Seldom Seen store at Wulgulmerang is no longer operating after Dave the proprietor sadly passed away (never was too much there anyway).

That means we'd need to carry all food for 3-4 days after Buchan. Not a major hurdle. The scenery along the Snowy River is wonderful, worth doing for that alone.

Along the river valley
View from Mountain Hut Gap

More details about various expriences in this area here.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Renovator

Postby Renovator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Warren H; for this trip I would prefer to stay on road, whether they be made or gravel. No single track.
IP; I checked out the links, what great views. Is this the best route for the first time thru this area? Carrying food for 3 - 4 days would be Ok but how about the hills thru there.
Thanks guys keep the suggestions coming

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Renovator, G'day Mate. The only single track to be mentioned was the Centenary Trail. Nothing skinny until you reach Canberra.

Some features that you might not be aware of for planning a route ... after following what Peter wrote of course.

Had you thought about sticking to the coast and then (say) at Moruya, heading towards Canberra, through the Deua River Valley, over Majors Creek Mountain to Wallaces Gap, across Tallaganda State Forest then to Queanbeyan then to Canberra?

North of Pambula, you can seriously start hugging the Coast, well off the Pacific Hwy. The best web map for NSW is SIX Maps ... http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you're not familiar with SIX Maps? Slide the tab down in BaseMap (in the far top right hand corner), to reveal the topo maps, giving much detail.

South of Tuross Heads, if you follow the Potato Point Road to Blackfellows Point Caravan Park, if you contact Tuross Marine at O'Brian's Boatshed (02 473 8127) and giving plenty of notice, they can organise to take you across the lake. This is very speccy country and a wonderful, off the highway route.

Tuross Lake and Mount Dromedary.

At the mouth of the Tuross River.

Eurobodalla National Park, is in several parts on the Coast, between 1080 Beach and Moruya. The wild campsites there, are the best ever. Heading to Pooles Beach (one of my favourites), South from Mystery Bay (the entrance is off Lamont Young Drive about 150m past Negus Road) will give you access to several fantastic semi-wild and wilder coastal campsites. Top-up your water before heading down 1080 Beach Road. If you're touring in February after the school holidays, which is when I head down to the coast, you will only see locals then and very few tourists ... it's a very quiet time on the coast then.

Pooles Beach 1080 Beach, Wallaga Beach and Mumbulla mountain.

Just South of South Narooma, if you take the Cemetery Road to the spectacular Glasshouse Rocks, you can cut through the golf course on the track to join up-to the Narooma to Dalmeney cycle path. Definitely worth doing. The cycle way hugs the coast ... I hope that you don't encounter a head wind. After the cycleway go through to Congo Point, then to Moruya, then head up the Deua River Valley.

On the cycle way at Wolgonga Inlet, leaving Narooma. Last Summer it was very smokey on the coast, hopefully this Summer it will be better.

The cycleway reaching Dalmeney.

Deua River Valley.

Deua River Valley from Majors Creek Mountain.

Along the Deua River Valley the traffic will be light ... it is always light when the school holidays finish. There is a good National Park campsite on the river on the river half way along the valley or you can stay at the Araluen Pub at the end of the Valley. The pub opens from mid-day on.

I posted several routes in detail here last Friday morning, but they aren't here. I included, going through the Errinundra Plateau, over McKillops Bridge to join the Snowy River/Jindabyne route. Around the back of the Western Fall Wilderness as well, and through Tumut and Wee Jasper into Canberra. Another route was through Jindabyne, Kancoban, Anamidaby, Yaouk, Shannons Flat then Tharwa to Canberra. It is most disappointing to not see the post here now. I also wrote that if you want maps of the TSRs in SE NSW, the best free campsites in the SE Region, if I know your route, I'm happy to post or email you the TSR Maps and the contact details, to get access to the TSRs in the SE Region.

The Scabby Range, heading towards Yaouk.

Camped on the Murrumbidgee River at Yaouk and the Yaouk Bill Range.

The road between Shannons Flat and Yaouk.

Brayshaws Hut, near the ACT Southern Border. There are several high country huts, close to the Boboyan Road in the Southern ACT.

Additional to unlimited wild camping in the Southern ACT there is the Mount Clear Campground just off Boboyan Road and the Honeysuckle Creek Campground on the Alpine Walking Track ... http://www.tams.act.gov.au/parks-recrea ... in_the_act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Caloola Farm (02 6235 7226) in the Naas River Valley on the Bicentennial National Trail is a top place to stay, great facilities. Getting to Honeysuckle Creek is a bit of a long climb. Caloola Farm is an excellent campsite, in a beautiful valley between the Billy Range and the De Salis Range.

Above the campground at Honeysuckle Creek. If you feel like stretching your legs? Honeysuckle Creek campsite is on the Australian Alps Walking Track.

The Northern entrance to the Naas River Valley and the De Salis Range at Caloola Farm.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I came across this good journal of the route from Bairnesdale to Canberra, via the Barry Way.

Also Vintagetourer who posts on here has his own journal of his Canberra to Melbourne tour.

Some video footage of Chris Rishworth cycling the Barry Way
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Renovator

Postby Renovator » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:12 am

Hi
Thanks very much for the additional info. I'm sorry not to have replied but my mums in hospital and she was pretty sick for a while and I wasn't really about much else. Seems the worst is well behind her now and she has been transferred to rehab.

Wow, as usual Warren the photo's are fantastic I hadn't thought of going via the coast figuring it would add an extra 3 or so days, but I must admit it looks fantastic so I will dig out some of the maps and do a bit of detailed research.

IP thanks for the video and other links; as I said to Warren I had not considered some of these routes not really knowing this part of the country at all well so I think a lot more research is required.

One question I do have is where do I get some maps and other information on these routes. The maps I do have have don't seem to have enough detail just a couple of faint lines but no detail about intermediate distances etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far much appreciated.

Renovator

Postby Renovator » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:22 am

Sorry Warren didn't see your link to six maps until I reread you post. Thanks but another info appreciated

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes I'd highly recommend the Snowy Mts Way/Barry Way route provided the weather forecast is reasonable.

That is the reverse of what we did here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/laketolake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note there are zilch supplies anywhere between Buchan and Jindabyne which is about 170 km with a lot of climbing. Water should not be a problem provide you take good topo maps and top up from streams and rivers when you can access them.

I won't enthuse too much about the Numeralla to Captains Flat section of the route we used. It's OK but hard work. The Adaminaby to Tharwa (Boboyan) route is probably more sensible. Or the Monaro Hwy mid-week with an early start to beat the traffic.

Overall:
Bairnsdale to Orbost to Buchan to Suggan Buggan (no supplies) to Jacobs River (no supplies) to Jindabyne (or Dalgety) to Cooma (several options) to Canberra

digga67

Postby digga67 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Warren, your photos are stunning and one of the main reasons I'm going to do a mini-tour down that way next year. Thx.

Dave.

PickeM

Postby PickeM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Yes I'd highly recommend the Snowy Mts Way/Barry Way route provided the weather forecast is reasonable.

That is the reverse of what we did here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/laketolake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note there are zilch supplies anywhere between Buchan and Jindabyne which is about 170 km with a lot of climbing. Water should not be a problem provide you take good topo maps and top up from streams and rivers when you can access them.

I won't enthuse too much about the Numeralla to Captains Flat section of the route we used. It's OK but hard work. The Adaminaby to Tharwa (Boboyan) route is probably more sensible. Or the Monaro Hwy mid-week with an early start to beat the traffic.

Overall:
Bairnsdale to Orbost to Buchan to Suggan Buggan (no supplies) to Jacobs River (no supplies) to Jindabyne (or Dalgety) to Cooma (several options) to Canberra
I am interested in riding from Melbourne to Canberra in early to mid April.

I would be riding a carbon fibre road bike with a seatpost pack and frame bag and probably a camel back in addition to two bottles on the frame. I would be interested in going via the Barry Way, but since I am travelling lightly, I will not be carrying camping gear and will need to stay at motels (electricity ideal for charging devices), etc.

My questions:

1. To your mind, what would be the best route?
2. Would the Barry Way be suitable? I'm confident that I could smash out Buchan to Jindabyne in a day (given there are no rations anywhere between the two towns).
3. Would a road bike be suitable on that road? My understanding is that there are sustained stretches of packed dirt road. Are there consistent sections of loose gravel and/or washboarding of the road?
4. How chilly will the temps be in that area during early April?

Thanks a lot!

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 am

Like all dirt roads the Barry Way can be loose dirt, mud, potholes to hard packed dirt. I'd not want to use a road bike on it. Any time I have been on it there has been loose stuff on at least some of it.

Buchan to Jindabyne ~170 km ... about half of that is dirt and dirt will slow your speed down, together with the hills ... I don't think you would make it in a day .. unless the 'day' is very long (not a short winters day, and starting before dawn. I'd plan on at least one night out on this road.

If you must use a road bike then I'd avoid the Barry Way. Through Khancoban for instance.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

I rode from Bairnsdale to Canberra with a couple of mates last year - we had a ball...here's our journal...sing out if you have any questions...

https://cyclingtocanberra.wordpress.com/

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 am

Here is a blog from 2012 of a guy who did Canberra to Bairnsdale in May that year. Took him a day via the Barry Way. 240kms on a rando bike. Has some good info and pics.
http://therewillbedirt.blogspot.com.au/ ... day-3.html

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

^^Great stuff - clearly I need a new (better) bike for touring.... :wink:

Been saying for years we should explore that area (Snowy/BarryWay etc) but still haven't managed it, despite several visits to Canberra/Cooma/Jindabyne/Thredbo etc.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"