How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 pm

jasonc wrote:didn't make it home before the storm. waited at the shops til just drizzle which became rain again of course
bike cleaned
have a photo that i'll post tomorrow


So many cyclists waiting under shelter... they would have been waiting a while.
I really enjoyed it in a sadistic kinda way. Made a nice refreshing change, didn't need to sip from the water bottle that's for sure.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

by BNA » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 pm

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Crawf wrote:
jasonc wrote:didn't make it home before the storm. waited at the shops til just drizzle which became rain again of course
bike cleaned
have a photo that i'll post tomorrow


So many cyclists waiting under shelter... they would have been waiting a while.
I really enjoyed it in a sadistic kinda way. Made a nice refreshing change, didn't need to sip from the water bottle that's for sure.


I waited less than 30 mins
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Crawf wrote:
jasonc wrote:didn't make it home before the storm. waited at the shops til just drizzle which became rain again of course
bike cleaned
have a photo that i'll post tomorrow


So many cyclists waiting under shelter... they would have been waiting a while.
I really enjoyed it in a sadistic kinda way. Made a nice refreshing change, didn't need to sip from the water bottle that's for sure.


I find it enjoyable riding in heavy rain :)
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:31 pm

You're a patient man.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
I find it enjoyable riding in heavy rain :)


Especially when you've barely seen any for 3mths.
I got home just as wet as a normal, dry, humid day :)
Crawf
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:41 pm

My commute distance is only 5 km, so rain is also not an inconvenience.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Crawf wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
I find it enjoyable riding in heavy rain :)


Especially when you've barely seen any for 3mths.


That's nice.

*starts uploading own video :P*
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 am

Multi-hop commute on Friday afternoon, picked up some malt, hops etc, and then heavily loaded toward home, after stop at my brother's place.
Mild morning here in Melbourne, felt a little sluggish for the commute into the CBD. Had some nocturnal bird swoop across the path out of nowhere almost hitting my front wheel. I was pretty awake after that little surprise.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 am

Torrential rain and strong winds in Newcastle and combined with new chain, BB and rear cassette = no riding for me.

I am stupid but not that stupid :)
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 am

I posted a couple of nice photos from my commute this morning over Mount Coot-tha. wet roads with Coot-tha covered in fog. nice morning.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lobstermash » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am

Lovely quick ride in this morning. Tail wind all the way, few pedestrians and no waiting at on-ramps. Without trying, was surprised to see Strava tell me my ave was 31.9km/h, as I hadn't been going very hard at all. I guess the ride home's going to be a lot less pleasant...
Image
lobstermash
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nezumi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 am

TailWind wrote:Multi-hop commute on Friday afternoon, picked up some malt, hops etc, and then heavily loaded toward home, after stop at my brother's place.
Mild morning here in Melbourne, felt a little sluggish for the commute into the CBD. Had some nocturnal bird swoop across the path out of nowhere almost hitting my front wheel. I was pretty awake after that little surprise.


So it was a...... malty-hop commute?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 am

nezumi wrote:
TailWind wrote:Multi-hop commute on Friday afternoon, picked up some malt, hops etc, and then heavily loaded toward home, after stop at my brother's place.
Mild morning here in Melbourne, felt a little sluggish for the commute into the CBD. Had some nocturnal bird swoop across the path out of nowhere almost hitting my front wheel. I was pretty awake after that little surprise.


So it was a...... malty-hop commute?

:lol: Haha, excellent!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 am

TailWind wrote:
nezumi wrote:
TailWind wrote:Multi-hop commute on Friday afternoon, picked up some malt, hops etc, and then heavily loaded toward home, after stop at my brother's place.
Mild morning here in Melbourne, felt a little sluggish for the commute into the CBD. Had some nocturnal bird swoop across the path out of nowhere almost hitting my front wheel. I was pretty awake after that little surprise.


So it was a...... malty-hop commute?

:lol: Haha, excellent!


that joke was obviously brewing for a while
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 am

nezumi wrote:So it was a...... malty-hop commute?
TailWind wrote::lol: Haha, excellent!


jasonc wrote:that joke was obviously brewing for a while


Hehehe, you guys are way too witty for a Monday morning! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 am

TailWind wrote:Hehehe, you guys are way too witty for a Monday morning! :D


waking up around 4:30 does that to me
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nezumi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 am

Commute today was FAST.

I don't think I was putting in any massively extra effort, but I managed to make it in to work in 44 minutes dead, compared to my normal 45 minutes moving/1 hour total travel time.

This included a stop at the top of Willismere hill to turn my lights on before hitting the city streets.

I passed a few people today, especially on Albert St. Had one guy I passed complement my pace, which was nice to hear.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Hehehe, you guys are way too witty for a Monday morning! :D


waking up around 4:30 does that to me

Yeah, woke up at around 4:30am too, but by then I was already 30 minutes into my commute! :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Soaked both ways today, but I enjoyed it!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:15 pm

made it about half way home before the thunder and lightening started. just waited it out.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cancan64 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 pm

I got home just as the storm hit..... by the time i walked inside the hail was coming down.. and since I cycled the wife used my car today and I didn't get time to put it in the garage.... hopefully no damage
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.
User avatar
cancan64
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TraceyG » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 am

Lovely ride in this morning but I wish I hadn't ditched the peak cap. I didn't realise how much it protected me from the angle of the morning sun which was especially blinding through the trees. As they say, you don't know what you've got til it's gone - but that cap aint staying gone for long!
TraceyG
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:46 am

Warm afternoon in Melbourne yesterday and the trails and paths where consequently busy with peds and cyclists. I'm still forced to choose between Dalton or Plenty Roads heading north as these are still the only open underpasses under the M80 in my direction of travel. Rode along Dalton Rd, via Epping. Hopefully only another few weeks until the works on the Ring Road are complete in this area.
Comparatively warm this morning and a pleasant ride into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nezumi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 am

My commute last night had a rather lovely ending.

I reached the intersection of the Main Yarra and Koonung trails at Burke Rd to find a woman straddling her bike and looking at a map on her bar bag.

She was travelling to Watsonia and had lst her way, so I escorted her along the MYT to my destination (Heidelberg) and showed her the Banyule shared path which took her straight through to Greensborough Rd and Watsonia.

Hopefully she made it there ok!


This morning was nice and warm, although I was grateful for the tree cover/water of the MYT to give some cooling.

I passed quite a few cyclists in both directions. Looks like the nice weather has brought them out to play!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 am

Met a feisty older lady this morning, good cyclist, pity she knows squat about the road rules & tried giving me lip about how I didn't give way to her - lady only 2 problems (1) you were on the road joining a path that I was already on & (2) you were behind me. Still I was happy she was on a bike rather than driving.
Image . . . . . . . Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4802
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Torpedo 7 Cycling Express
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava