The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

rheicel

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby rheicel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 pm

skull wrote:Wrong thread, unless you did something dumb when you turned. Looks like a case of SMIDSY from the driver.

Also at first I thought you were in a car due to your speed and keeping up with the traffic.
I have edited the post now, sorry!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh god... Dumb pedestrian in Western Sydney Regional park walking her dog. She had the music going on the iPhone or something so damn loud she had no way of knowing I was right behind her, crawling along at 5km/h. I can't go any slower.

And of course she just about launches into orbit when she realises I'm right behind her. :lol: :lol: Her reaction was priceless, but she could have saved herself the scare by being more alert. :roll:

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 am

Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

So I'm cruising along this evening, heading out for Thursday night drinks looking dapper in my cap and thus wearing no helmet. (Which is very rare for me. Both looking dapper and wear no helmet.) A brightly coloured Serious Cyclist overtakes my as I'm going along leisurely (aka slowly). He looks serious, he is riding seriously and is wearing lots some high vis lycra. Anyway I manage to keep up as I time the lights well...

Along Rathdown and up to Queensberry, I hit the lights as they turn green leaving a half dozen cyclists waiting for the hook turn light. Unfortunately somebody didn't press the button so they miss an entire cycle. The Serious Cyclist gives the poor lady cyclist an earful for blocking the cycle lane. Sure she wasn't meant to be there but its not her fault the intersection is badly designed, I wasn't worried about the slight delay but then today I'm dapper and in no hurry....

So here I am debating whether I should have a few words to this cyclist about civility, but I decide to stay friendly and civil and keep my mouth shut. Another 200m and this Serious Cyclist is yelling at a taxi, I didn't exactly see why but it didn't it seems that there is a chip on the shoulder here today. So somewhere in the next block as we now are in the CBD I manage to catch a bit more of a glimpse of the Serious Cyclists. Then I start looking a few more identify features and realise that this guy is a friend of mine!

We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....

There is no point to this story really. Some people have their angry cyclist days, I've certainly been there. Sometimes it is completely justifiable if 3 cars try to kill you in 100m... But most of the time it is far more pleasant to simply enjoy the ride.....

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 am

human909 wrote:Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

So I'm cruising along this evening, heading out for Thursday night drinks looking dapper in my cap and thus wearing no helmet. (Which is very rare for me. Both looking dapper and wear no helmet.) A brightly coloured Serious Cyclist overtakes my as I'm going along leisurely (aka slowly). He looks serious, he is riding seriously and is wearing lots some high vis lycra. Anyway I manage to keep up as I time the lights well...

Along Rathdown and up to Queensberry, I hit the lights as they turn green leaving a half dozen cyclists waiting for the hook turn light. Unfortunately somebody didn't press the button so they miss an entire cycle. The Serious Cyclist gives the poor lady cyclist an earful for blocking the cycle lane. Sure she wasn't meant to be there but its not her fault the intersection is badly designed, I wasn't worried about the slight delay but then today I'm dapper and in no hurry....

So here I am debating whether I should have a few words to this cyclist about civility, but I decide to stay friendly and civil and keep my mouth shut. Another 200m and this Serious Cyclist is yelling at a taxi, I didn't exactly see why but it didn't it seems that there is a chip on the shoulder here today. So somewhere in the next block as we now are in the CBD I manage to catch a bit more of a glimpse of the Serious Cyclists. Then I start looking a few more identify features and realise that this guy is a friend of mine!

We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....

There is no point to this story really. Some people have their angry cyclist days, I've certainly been there. Sometimes it is completely justifiable if 3 cars try to kill you in 100m... But most of the time it is far more pleasant to simply enjoy the ride.....
I believe I snapped a photo of you. :lol:

Gordonhooker

Re: Moron Cyclists

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 am

richbee wrote:
Gordonhooker wrote:
skull wrote:We have a thread on this already.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
We only have one for dumb cyclists and peds, not moron cyclists.... I hate to say it but just like there are some moron motorists, motorcyclists, and peds, there are also some moron cyclists - except maybe me and whoever is reading this post at the time. :)
No I really really wanted to start a "Moron Cyclists" thread :twisted:

But thank you all for showing me the right place, clearly I should've expanded my search terms to include the word 'dumb', but I figure that i'd have still got to the end of the fourth search page and still not found reference to it amongst the flood of Moron Motorist posts
Yes richbee I think we should be revolting!!!!!!!!

MR. MOD WE NEED A MORON CYCLIST THREAD - and we are going to be revolting until we get one...... :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 am

human909 wrote:Here is my story for today. I'm not sure I want to label anybody dumb though.... Just wanted to share....

I think we see that quite often but with the stresses of work, traffic, and just the fast pace of life these days I think sometimes we have these brain farts. I know I caught myself doing this in traffic on my motorcycle a couple of years ago and decided to do something about it and lighten up. I have since found that doing the 'simply enjoying the ride' that you are talking about here is the only sane way to cycle, motorcycle or perish the thought drive the ccccaaaaaaarrrrrrrr, and you get to your destination in a better mood and probably a lot safer.

Good one H9 I am glad you have joined the chill out club..... :)
OI onya bike!!!

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 am

"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 am

human909 wrote:We exchange greetings and quickly jokes about the wars on the road during peak hour. I think he was a little embarrassed at his road attitude being observed by someone he knows. I had reached my destination so I peel off and say my goodbyes.....
this sort of happened to me once. a driver came blasting over the section of bike lane on la trobe street where it cuts out into the LH car lane to make space for parking spaces. i was in the parking spaces keeping left, but for all the driver knew - i could have followed the bike lane into their path. i caught up with them and was about to give them an absolute bollocking, tapped on the window... and thought 'that looks like one of my bosses', smiled and rode on. i don't think it was my boss - i didn't really get a good enough look and didn't hang around to confirm - but i got a mighty shock. mind you, they deserved a bollocking.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 pm

malnar wrote:"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.
That's alright, because you've got no rights to object or complain. I don't like dogs that chase. On had it happen a couple of times thankfully.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
malnar wrote:"He might chase your tyres", the owner of the large dog sheepishly told me as I rode by on the shared path.
That's alright, because you've got no rights to object or complain. I don't like dogs that chase. On had it happen a couple of times thankfully.
If I am riding with my partner and see a dog on a path that isn't on a leash I call out a standard warning:

"Mobile speedhump!"
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Some of them just think their dog is an angel and won't hurt anyone, while the thing is lunging forward like a wild thing. :shock: The route I ride is usually free of dogs for the most part.

I did see one afternoon a while back a lady I've written about riding her bike while walking her dog (with the lead connected to the left handlebar. This time she was out with husband and both were doing the same thing, side by side. :shock: If those dogs decided to take off, the two of them would have crashed.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:54 pm

When I was a wee kidlet I kept a full-length frame pump on my bike - to fend off canines.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:21 pm

On country roads I have had occasion to throw rocks at running dogs. It works, they scarper off home quickly!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:17 am

For those playing along without frame pumps, a water bottle can work wonders for dogs. Confuses many of them no end when the big thing they're running after wets their face.

I haven't had a true moron encounter for weeks, it's been nice. Until saturday. MTB'er on bike path near Cromer golfie on saturday arvo dinging his bell madly, pushing 50+ down the bike path past families with wobbly kids. There's a time and a place moron, and that wasn't either of them.

Jim

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

more dog lunacy on the shared path.. two puppies let loose and running around the path last night about 50m ahead of their owners. as i slow to walking pace, one of the dogs darts right in front of my wheel. i could have run over it, or fallen myself. the moron owner sees this unfold from a way back, and starts yelling 'sooorryyyyy! sooorryyy!' sorry about what? that you decided to endanger your dogs and me by deliberately letting them off the leash on a shared path? i told him to leash them, which he at least appeared to be doing as i rode on. honestly, do dogs carry some kind of brain-devouring virus that renders their owners stupid?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Dumb cyclist last night. Riding along The Esplanade eastbound (two-lane each way road), coming up to Barrack Street where both lanes turn left and the right lane is a shared right turn. Cyclist turns right from the left lane in front of left turning traffic.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

wellington_street wrote:Dumb cyclist last night. Riding along The Esplanade eastbound (two-lane each way road), coming up to Barrack Street where both lanes turn left and the right lane is a shared right turn. Cyclist turns right from the left lane in front of left turning traffic.
Some people don't quite make it when it comes to being bright..... :mrgreen:
OI onya bike!!!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Solidly sick of rude wheelsuckers and tryhards of late.

One guy on the weekend on Reid Highway shaves me (in the middle of nowhere) rides ahead 100m then sits up and plays with his mobile whilst weaving on and off the road/shoulder making overtaking a hazardous event.

Three separate guys wheelsucking for up to 10 km then overtaking as if they are in a crit. Two of these sprinted off 20m (whilst looking over their shoulders expecting me to be chasing) then turned off. The third guy this morning wheelsucks for several kilometres, sees in the distance (100m) an ebike travelling at the same speed as me, bridges the gap to him then proceeds to wheelsuck him. None of these guys acknowledged me, indicated their presence or offered to share the load.

Yes you guys are smarter than me, the silly sucker pushing the air. Fitter than me because you beat me in a sprint of your choosing during a commute home and clearly more deserving of CCR accolades.

Sorry whinge over but after almost being cleaned up by a wheelsucker when I had to undertake an emergency stop and didn't know this guy was there I consider this behaviour dangerous and antisocial.

BTW quite happy for people to wheelsuck if they acknowledge their presence, assist on the front or say thank you.

IT IS NOT A RACE!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 pm

The man with plenty of KOMs says it isn't a race. :lol:

I don't like people following my wheel very closely either. It just makes me uneasy. :?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 pm

CXCommuter wrote:IT IS NOT A RACE!
Dumb Cyclist = me. I thought it was ALWAYS a race.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:30 pm

bychosis wrote:
what do you mean? more than 1 bike makes it a race, unless it's an ITT of course.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:16 pm

KOMs are all solo efforts trying to outdo my own PR's- two are actually my regular commute that no one else is likely to ride. I actually have no problems with 'racing' / competitive cycling- done safely it improves everyone involved. I have seen this plenty of times, but there is a tacit understanding between all involved often finishing with a thanks and/or a chat. But I dislike the wheelsucker who arrives unannounced, lazes about behind someone then once utilised moves on to the next victim. It all changes if a cyclist announces their presence and asks for assistance (rare but does happen).

If I happen to ride at a similar pace to another rider I will sit back 5-10m (and have seen others doing this to me also)

I have all respect for cyclists who can hold their own whilst riding without having to rely on others perceived generosity.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm

bychosis wrote:
Bychosis- of course it is always a race- against yourself. Other times more may be involved

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Having said that, drafting someone then blasting past just before turning off isn't racing, but racing yourself includes catching and passing everyone possible too :) not just KOMs
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 pm

CXCommuter wrote:KOMs are all solo efforts trying to outdo my own PR's- two are actually my regular commute that no one else is likely to ride. I actually have no problems with 'racing' / competitive cycling- done safely it improves everyone involved. I have seen this plenty of times, but there is a tacit understanding between all involved often finishing with a thanks and/or a chat. But I dislike the wheelsucker who arrives unannounced, lazes about behind someone then once utilised moves on to the next victim. It all changes if a cyclist announces their presence and asks for assistance (rare but does happen).

If I happen to ride at a similar pace to another rider I will sit back 5-10m (and have seen others doing this to me also)

I have all respect for cyclists who can hold their own whilst riding without having to rely on others perceived generosity.
Don't worry, I'm just stirring. :lol: I agree with you. I really dislike it when someone follows behind me really closely. I'm just not used to it.

If I'm riding along and following someone who I'm not quite quick enough to pass and leave behind, I usually stick back about 3-4 bike lengths.