ACF Strava Club

DTdotcom

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I've lost 13 KOM's in the last 7 days, I missed Wed Worlds and lost 4 to the group that I couldn't defend.
Got 4 new ones on Friday's Riverloop & 2 on Turbo Tuesday which eased the pain.

http://app.strava.com/activities/91118003#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://app.strava.com/activities/91877682#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:17 pm

The advantages of inner city large group rides. Lots of segments done at high speed. Unlike us rural pumpkins who mostly solo ride with just a few segments a ride :D

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I would have thought it was more of a disadvantage?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Mine went up from 50 to 70 :lol: ... VV score went down though. Most of my one off segments are ridden while looking after people... never very fast!. Not complaining though :mrgreen: .
If anyone wants to organize 6 or 7 mates to come over and do some serious strava chasing in the alpes let me know... the MR T van is waiting :wink: .

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:If anyone wants to organize 6 or 7 mates to come over and do some serious strava chasing in the alpes let me know... the MR T van is waiting :wink: .
as long as you supply the bike, the flights, the accommodation, oh, and the legs :D

singlespeedscott

ACF Strava Club

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Dimma wrote:I would have thought it was more of a disadvantage?
I'm looking for excuses for my poor performance.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 pm

jasonc wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:If anyone wants to organize 6 or 7 mates to come over and do some serious strava chasing in the alpes let me know... the MR T van is waiting :wink: .
as long as you supply the bike, the flights, the accommodation, oh, and the legs :D
I can supply the scenery :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
nothing poor about your performances Scott. You have to remember all the BS segments we have around here. My excuse for not being at Dimma's level is that there are too many A and B grade racers around here. (my veloviewer's rivals list is testament to that)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:16 pm

jasonc wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
nothing poor about your performances Scott. You have to remember all the BS segments we have around here. My excuse for not being at Dimma's level is that there are too many A and B grade racers around here. (my veloviewer's rivals list is testament to that)
I've got Shane Spence to contend with across the northside. I lost something like 6 kom's to him in one week alone haha. Correy E, Aiden S and Joris V also make an appearance :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I've got Shane Spence to contend with across the northside. I lost something like 6 kom's to him in one week alone haha. Correy E, Aiden S and Joris V also make an appearance :P
My mate is number 1 on my list of veloviewer rivals. He's no slouch on a bike. I've also got Matt King and Jay Taylor on my list (and the 99 bikes stig).

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Carb loaded this evening for my first official road race tomorrow with the act vets :mrgreen: pretty excited and extremely nervous!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 am

ACT SC600 wrote:Carb loaded this evening for my first official road race tomorrow with the act vets :mrgreen: pretty excited and extremely nervous!
And???? How did we go??

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 pm

gretaboy wrote:
ACT SC600 wrote:Carb loaded this evening for my first official road race tomorrow with the act vets :mrgreen: pretty excited and extremely nervous!
And???? How did we go??
Won my grade (D) and overtook some of the riders in the next grade... Went on a solo suicide lone wolf from the get go and ended up 10mins up on second place... 49.2ks averaged 31.6kmph with 630m climbing.... Loved every minute!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:08 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
And???? How did we go??
Won my grade (D) and overtook some of the riders in the next grade... Went on a solo suicide lone wolf from the get go and ended up 10mins up on second place... 49.2ks averaged 31.6kmph with 630m climbing.... Loved every minute!
well done ...looks like you will be going up a grade then after a single race :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
And???? How did we go??
Good stuff mate. Sounds like you might have the racing bug :P

jasonc wrote:still around 96. i'll take it. I'm ahead of lukeyboy, for the minute.
Updated veloviewer despite not riding since Saturday. Got another KOM and a bunch of top 5 positions haha.

VeloViewer Score

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 pm

ACT SC600 wrote: Won my grade (D) and overtook some of the riders in the next grade... Went on a solo suicide lone wolf from the get go and ended up 10mins up on second place... 49.2ks averaged 31.6kmph with 630m climbing.... Loved every minute!
Dude, awesome work! Jens Voight Mk II :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 am

Must be a lot of dudes annoyed at the sandbaggers in the lower grades come October every year lol I moved up from D to C straight away, and won C. I will stay in C though, until they make me leave. Was much harder in C grade!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:65.06 No more! 96.46 :(
Hazzar! Back to 99 :P

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Just a quick intro- been on ACF on strava for a couple of weeks as my real name Joshua Lloyd. Been getting a hammering on the segments front of late- lost three- regained one solidly with brute force and subtle wind conditions (more like puny force and brute force wind conditions), the second one I am equal KOM due to damn lights- waiting for another crack. The third got very popular with the spring easterlies attracting resident KOM hunters- now looking at damage control and improving VV score instead on this segment.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:07 am

I have started dabbling in the racing of late, first time ever....which has in turn taken my focus away from Strava and segment chasing, well sort of.

Use the strava segments on my commute as training aids now. Have also had to compete against a few car journeys logged rides. In the big scheme it really doesnt matter, but you would think if someone accidently left there ride recording device on, when they uploaded and saw all the KOM's they got..they would do the needful and rectify it.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 pm

gretaboy wrote:I have started dabbling in the racing of late, first time ever....which has in turn taken my focus away from Strava and segment chasing, well sort of.

Use the strava segments on my commute as training aids now. Have also had to compete against a few car journeys logged rides. In the big scheme it really doesnt matter, but you would think if someone accidently left there ride recording device on, when they uploaded and saw all the KOM's they got..they would do the needful and rectify it.
Flag, flag, flag. Look at their ride as a whole... and in marginal cases look at their other rides where possible (there are some NRS riders out there who do amazing things, one guy I saw averaged 70 up a short steep hill, said in Comments that he was drafting a truck, which is at least possible, and in my book not for flagging).

But the typical case is someone who putters around at 20km/h average before averaging 50 for the drive home, and picking up numerous KOMs. Another example, several hours between activity. Bike ride in the morning, presumably gets home and goes out again in the car. That's the smartphone users.

Both cases are pretty obvious if you delve into the whole ride. If you can be sure it's not legit, don't be reticent, just flag it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 pm

There are some like G S near me that actually do average 20-24 kmh for the ride, with enormous explosions of pace (average 70+kmh over 200m) but GS is a track sprint world record holder so occasionally you have to pick your battles, greta :D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:24 pm

There is a segment here in Perth I saw recently with not one but dozens of people logging 70km/h (at 10W of power) on the segment, there is no physical way this is achievable due to the bollards and sharp turn midway along the segment. It runs right alongside one of the freeways which lo and behold has a speed limit of 70km/h. I left it alone as it seems to have concentrated the car KOMers together

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 pm

I do look at the ride overall....but when a rider gets 80+ k/h on a segment I immediately get suspicious...especially as already mentioned, the rest of the ride is averaging 20-30. When a rider gets 5 KOM's in a row also at high speeds I again think...car

I do flag them but I am also happy to lose them if I believe they have been well earn't

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm

I have one KOM that is on the road near a train line near a MTB track. Every few days someone takes the train out to the MTB track and uses Strava to log their ride and hops back on the train without turning it off. I get the usual KOM message and I always know what it is. I always leave it a few days as most people fix it themselves, but after a few days if it is not gone I flag it. I am all for the competition of someone taking a KOM from me and then trying to get it back, but I have no issue with flagging someone who is obviously not riding a bike.

Lately I seem to be losing lots of segments on the M7 cycle path to people riding on the M7 motorway which is obviously much quicker. I wish there was a way to flag a particular segment of a ride as incorrectly matched. Currently you can only flag the whole ride which is unfair to the rider, so I have to give up on those segments.... or get a TT bike and hit the motorway!