easy-peasy trails Newcastle, CC or Sydney North

newie

easy-peasy trails Newcastle, CC or Sydney North

Postby newie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I bought my first MTB a month or so ago after a few years on the roadie. Having never been on the dirt in my life before my MTB skills are pretty much non-existent. I have been into Glenrock and Jesmond Park up here in Newcastle. But I am not really enjoying it much, as there a few too many places that I find scary and stressful. So I am looking for some suggestions for some really easy trails where I can just enjoy being out on the bike. I am not in any particular hurry to build my skills. For now just looking to enjoy nature and explore some new scenery, and let the confidence and skill slowly develop. So something like a fire trail or rail trail. I travel down to my parents place near Dural quite often. So does anyone have suggestions for scenic, simple trails anywhere from Sydney North to Newcastle? Somewhere a solo female would feel safe too would be good.

moose85

Re: easy-peasy trails Newcastle, CC or Sydney North

Postby moose85 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Kincumber mountain on the central coast is pretty good. All fire trails. My 11 year old didn't struggle and there is nothing too scary. Very safe. Plenty of riders and walkers around. Nice wide space too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Glenrock is great, you should be able to form a loop on the green (easy) trails and fire trails. Check the maps out before leaving. Killing worth has some good fire trails. There are also some fire trails off to the west of the Glendale to wallsend cycleway that are worthy exploring, I haven't had much experience out there, but there seem to be quite a few trails.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:53 am

This area is crowded with excellent fire trails and the like through many beautiful areas - almost too many to choose from!!

Don't be afraid to check out Old Man Valley near Hornsby pool either. It's council supported MTB area that has many skill development options...and more planned

For your explorations, check out http://www.trailflix.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Try Awaba. Full of flowy singletrack without the scare factor of Glenrock. Look it up on nobmob.com.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

Squigs

Postby Squigs » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 pm

If you get the chance there is a good beginner friendly track up at Singleton. There are very little rocks on the track and doesn't have an technical features. The area is also quite flat so there is hardly any climbing when you compare it to GRock

http://nobmob.com/rides/singleton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newie

Postby newie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Looks like there are a few places for me to check out.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:03 pm

I only just noticed the single female comment.

If you're down in northern Sydney, the fire trails at Terrey Hills are beginner friendly, very safe for single females. There are lots of folk on horseback, nearly all of whom are female, as well as a fair few girls on bikes.

If you don't mind tagging along with some older gentlemen (50+), we'd be happy to show you the trails if you think you'd like some guidance to help get you started. We operate on a "no rider left behind" basis, regardless of fitness level, and are happy to share knowledge on bike setup, how to stay safe, interact with other trail users (espec horses), and improve your riding experience. We're keen to encourage greater female participation in the sport, which seems to be down in northern Sydney compared to further afield.

If you'd prefer to go solo, they are definitely navigable on your own with a map, and are low risk. Perimeter and Long are probably the most beginner friendly and have some terrific views of Cowan Creek from the end of Long Trail. The trails are flat(ish) but there are some rolling climbs, and a short steep pinch at the end of Long that most walk (including me). It's a 22km round trip so pack enough water and food for about 2 hours. It is a very popular trail, not technical, with plenty of bike, pedestrian and equine traffic during daylight hours.

Also am more than happy to answer questions here or by PM.

I'll be posting a social ride on nobmob for Terrey Hills in a few weeks which you would be welcome to join if that is of interest.

More information here: http://nobmob.com/rides/terreyhills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newie

Postby newie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks trailgumby. Terrey Hills sounds like just what I am looking for.
Thanks for the offer, but I will probably go solo as the timing of my trips to Sydney is normally dictated by family commitments.

uppo75

Postby uppo75 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Newbie,
The yellow loop at Awaba is a pretty easy track to ride.
It's not too steep( up or down) and none of the trail features are overly hard.
It is way easier than a full loop of Glenrock, and it's flatter than glenrock or Jesmond.
There are a few guys at work getting into MTB and they like Awaba better than Glenrock.
It's not a huge distance, but just do it a few times if you want a longer ride.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 pm

No worries newie.

The two things I'd pass on then are:
1 Keep left around the blind corners. It's a 2 way trail.

2 Stop and move to the side of the trail when you see a horse ans start talking to the rider so that the horse knows you're human and doesn't get spooked. Let the rider direct you on whether to wait, ride past or move further off-trail. Safety first :)

Enjoy!

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

swaz

Postby swaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey Newie
I am in a similar situation to you and I have found a good track from Caves Beach to Catherine Hill Bay. There maybe two steep bits there, but just hop off and walk. Ourimbah has wide open fire trails as well as XC, downhill and all mountain tracks.
Awaba is a great beginner course I think, lots of opportunity for pedaling rather than downhill sections. Let me know if you want a riding buddy for Ourbimbah or Awaba. I am a newb too.

newie

Postby newie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

The MTB has been a bit of a garage ornament for the past couple of months. Had a day in Jesmond before christmas where I lost confidence, which was followed by pathetic falling off, when I was just about at a standstill, resulting in grazes, a slightly sprained ankle (undamaged bike!). Finally found time and enthusiasm to head out to Awaba. By the second go around the yellow loop I was starting to have fun. Definitely feel that it is a better place for a beginner and I will head out there again soon - worth the drive. I had the shame of being passed a pair of 8-10 year old girls.... I am going to a skills course in a couple of weeks, so hopefully won't have that happen too often in the future.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Great riding in Brisbane Water NP, (this is where my partner learnt to ride) there's various trailheads to start from including Pearl Beach, Kariong, Woy Woy Bay, Woy Woy Tip rd entrance to Dillions Farm and Staples lookout. all very accessible circuits, some technical, some easy.
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

jandb

Postby jandb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm

newie wrote:The MTB has been a bit of a garage ornament for the past couple of months. Had a day in Jesmond before christmas where I lost confidence, which was followed by pathetic falling off, when I was just about at a standstill, resulting in grazes, a slightly sprained ankle (undamaged bike!). Finally found time and enthusiasm to head out to Awaba. By the second go around the yellow loop I was starting to have fun. Definitely feel that it is a better place for a beginner and I will head out there again soon - worth the drive. I had the shame of being passed a pair of 8-10 year old girls.... I am going to a skills course in a couple of weeks, so hopefully won't have that happen too often in the future.
Not sure if this makes you feel better but I went over the bars this w'end at the Terrey Hills bmx track ... moments after nagging my kids to slow down & be careful. Yet I haven't had too many issues around more technical courses. My stacks seem to come when traversing seemingly innocuous obstacles!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, well, I managed to bin it Sunday on Centre Track at a good clip on a slight descent. On a *fire trail*. Oh, the shame. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Chose a spectacularly inappropriate moment to scratch my nose. Fair bit of skin off, bruises everywhere down my left quads and in weird places elsewhere, dislocated a finger.

Lesson: don't get complacent.

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Newie, I'm based halfwayy up the valley, if u need a guide give me a yell, more then happy to show u some trails, if u like Awaba, singleton will be much easier for you, it's easier then the yellow loop, there's also trails at medowie

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Oops forgot to add, I'm in my 40's and have ridden since I was 8, up until a few years ago I still raced downhill, xc, road and bmx, also a level 2 cycling coach or I was, now only ride for fun

newie

Postby newie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:24 pm

lardass71 wrote:Newie, I'm based halfwayy up the valley, if u need a guide give me a yell, more then happy to show u some trails, if u like Awaba, singleton will be much easier for you, it's easier then the yellow loop, there's also trails at medowie
I am keen to head out to SIngleton sometime as it sounds good as I build up the confidence. I do appreciate the offer to show me around, but I am a bit reticent about meeting up with anyone I only know as an anonymous person through the internet (even though I am sure you are perfectly decent). I do actually need someone to introduce me to good trails and give me tips on bike skills. I got quite a lot out of my skills course a couple of weekends ago, but am still pretty hopeless!

phineas

Postby phineas » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Hey, there is a Hunter/Newcastle women's MTB group on Facebook.

They often post when they are heading out for a beginner ride.

Mostly around Glenrock I think, but I'm not sure (I only ride on the road).

I met up with a few of the girls a few months ago for a ride along the Fernleigh Track, and they were really lovely.

If you would like the link to the group, just send me a message :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

phineas

Postby phineas » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Also, 'Gear Up Girl' (run by bicycle NSW) do skills workshops in Sydney I think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free