Hot weather baselayer - cooler with or without?

UpDownUp

Hot weather baselayer - cooler with or without?

Postby UpDownUp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I have noticed that some riders wear a thin baselayer under their bike jersey in Summer / when it is hot. I've had a look on wiggle etc and seen claims that wearing a summer baselayer under a jersey is actually cooler than just wearing a jersey. Is this really cooler? Or is there some other reason for wearing a thin baselayer in hot weather?

human909

Re: Hot weather baselayer - cooler with or without?

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 pm

UpDownUp wrote:I have noticed that some riders wear a thin baselayer under their bike jersey in Summer / when it is hot. I've had a look on wiggle etc and seen claims that wearing a summer baselayer under a jersey is actually cooler than just wearing a jersey. Is this really cooler? Or is there some other reason for wearing a thin baselayer in hot weather?
Not in my experience. The science doesn't really stack up either under most conditions. Though if you have very dark skin, then a white base layer would be beneficial on sunny days due to the significant reduction in radiant heat absorption.

Though for general skin protection reasons short sleeves are far from ideal in Australian summer. Loose, light weight long sleeves shirts are normally best for general outdoor activities in the constant sun.

jlh

Postby jlh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm looking for sleeves for summer UV protection on wiggle but they don't seem to have any - just arm warmers not UV protectors. grrr.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:22 pm

jasonlheath wrote:I'm looking for sleeves for summer UV protection on wiggle but they don't seem to have any - just arm warmers not UV protectors. grrr.
HERE yer go. Came across 'em when stumbling about a couple days ago :)
If you look further down, it links to a mesh underlayer.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:56 pm

UpDownUp wrote:I've had a look on wiggle etc and seen claims that wearing a summer baselayer under a jersey is actually cooler than just wearing a jersey. ?
Depends on the jersey. If it's a close-fitting high-wicking technical fabric (same as the baselayer) then two layers ain't going to be cooler than one. But if it's an old-fashioned material and a loose cut then some better sweat removal may help.

Also depends if you've got climbing in mind - if you're planning 1500m of elevation gain you might sacrifice being a little bit too hot in the valley for being comfortable on top of the mountain.

Proof of the pudding - watch the pros on TV on a hot day in the TDF with their jerseys open and most aren't wearing a baselayer. (One or two do).

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm

jasonlheath wrote:I'm looking for sleeves for summer UV protection on wiggle but they don't seem to have any - just arm warmers not UV protectors. grrr.
I assumed that is because wiggle is based in the u.k., but looking for a long sleeve summer jersey was a real hassle as nearly every long sleeve jersey i checked out seemed to be for winter, or didn't specify leaving me not knowing (buying online), ended up buying a ground effect lobster thingy which specifically said summer, its ok but a little too casual/loose fitting for my taste, still alright. And got an assos mille ls when torpedo had them a little cheaper a few weeks back, fits nicely and seems to work ok. (although it has a slightly mesh type material on the back which makes me think its not 100% sunproof, i guess ill find out if i get a tan on my spine.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 pm

I always wear long-sleeved jerseys. Finding them is a real hassle as most are thermal type. My latest ones are branded Canari, but they are too damned big. If anyone knows who makes good summer long-sleeve jerseys please chime in.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I always wear a baselayer even on hot days. I've got a few but the skins mesh tank is what I use when it gets hot.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I wear a undershirt at all times except when wearing a skinsuit... the main reason for me is that my bib straps chafe my nipples :lol:

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I wear a undershirt at all times except when wearing a skinsuit... the main reason for me is that my bib straps chafe my nipples :lol:
I have seen people wear band-aids over those parts.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I wear a undershirt at all times except when wearing a skinsuit... the main reason for me is that my bib straps chafe my nipples :lol:
Yep. Ain't nobody got time for that.

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:26 am

Always wore a baselayer. When I started out in '89 the lycra was like glad wrap, and sticky and uncomfortable in any warmth or humidity. A base layer was pretty much compulsory.

Cycling shirts these days are much more comfortable, but I've never ridden in one without a base layer (old habits die hard), and it's fine in summer. Just any old cotton t-shirt. For cold starts I have a merino t-shirt, but that would get worn no more than 5 times a year.

The other reason for wearing a base layer is unchanged. In a crash that involves superman style flight and landing on your front, the base layer will prevent lycra burns to your chest and belly. I should add that in 24 years I've had two such crashes, so it's a minor consideration.

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:41 am

ball bearing wrote:I always wear long-sleeved jerseys. Finding them is a real hassle as most are thermal type. My latest ones are branded Canari, but they are too damned big. If anyone knows who makes good summer long-sleeve jerseys please chime in.

Netti made an excellent one called the sunshield for a long time. They seem to have just withdrawn them from the market. If anyone finds a retailer with any in stock, I'll have two in large please.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:11 am

ball bearing wrote:
I have seen people wear band-aids over those parts.
Ouch... too much hair on my chest for that sort of shenanigans!
2010 BMC SLC01

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 am

Ground Effect in NZ have a couple of excellent summer tops. I run with a couple of their Zip Tie model here in NW Victoria http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/SUM/ZIP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they are excellent until things start getting stupid (over the mid 30's) when they revert to being merely quite good. Highly recommended. Their Rock Lobster is a slightly cheaper alternative (same fabric/different cut) and the loose fitting ZZ Top is cheaper again.

They've also got roll off sleeves too http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/SUM/ALL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:06 am

I'm currently wearing the Rapha pro (mesh) base layer here in Brisbane during spring and it does help. I find it helps on a cool start or big descents, and when the day heats up I find it keeps a bit of sweat off my body and transfers it my jersey. It's Brisbane, and you will always sweat epically on a big ride, but I find having a mesh baselayer just helps to stop the jersey sticking to my body.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm

As others have mentioned, i too wear a base layer under my jersey, more for wicking away sweat and also a bit of protection from the sun.

I usually wear a Nike dri-fit compression long sleeve under my jersey, i find it works really well to wick away sweat, and a bit of sun protection on the arms. The long sleeve is also handy to wipe sweat of the brow/face

About $30 from wiggle

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Mark Kelly wrote:
ball bearing wrote:I always wear long-sleeved jerseys. Finding them is a real hassle as most are thermal type. My latest ones are branded Canari, but they are too damned big. If anyone knows who makes good summer long-sleeve jerseys please chime in.
Netti made an excellent one called the sunshield for a long time. They seem to have just withdrawn them from the market. If anyone finds a retailer with any in stock, I'll have two in large please.
Find something here ?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

I've never tried the baselayer under the jersey. On really hot days, I've taken to unzipping the jersey to about half way, or a little bit more. It's okay provided I keep the speed up - otherwise I begin to cook.

Haven't got any weird tans yet, excepting arms and legs of course. :lol:

Kneedown

Postby Kneedown » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Torpedo7 has a summer weight long sleeve jersey.

Often on sale for under $30 if you keep an eye out.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7J ... eve-jersey

I prefer to use sun sleeves and regular short sleeve jersey.

http://www.this link is broken/Pearl-Izumi ... pQodlhMAgQ

No experience with a summer base layer.
Bianchi Sempre Pro Chorus 11 | dry bike
Giant Defy Composite 2 SRAM Apex | wet bike

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
HERE yer go. Came across 'em when stumbling about a couple days ago :)
If you look further down, it links to a mesh underlayer.
Thanks mate just what I was after

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 pm

scirocco wrote: Proof of the pudding - watch the pros on TV on a hot day in the TDF with their jerseys open and most aren't wearing a baselayer. (One or two do).
I think that depends. A bit of googling shows images like this
Contador is removing it half-way up the mountain.

I'm going to buy one. I do a lot of riding in the hills and I've found that descending with a sweat-laden jersey is bloody freezing.
Also in the spring you might start off in the monring with a merino baselayer but by midday and temps approaching 20 degrees it gets a bit warm.

So I'm going to try the Route7 sleeveless mesh from Torpedo 7.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Kneedown wrote:Torpedo7 has a summer weight long sleeve jersey.

Often on sale for under $30 if you keep an eye out.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7J ... eve-jersey

I prefer to use sun sleeves and regular short sleeve jersey.

http://www.this link is broken/Pearl-Izumi ... pQodlhMAgQ

No experience with a summer base layer.

We bought the Pearl-Izumi sun sleeves weeks ago and we love them. Initially I felt hotter with them on but I soon got use to them. They work as advertised brilliant.
Marnie

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 am

I would not bother with the torpedo 7 Baselayers, helpful in winter but it does not really help with wicking at all.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 am

Depends which ones, I have found some of the T7 ones to be quite good, summer or winter.