Retro cycling club in Sydney

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Not sure where and what time everyone is meeting so I am going to make a definate plan here save confusion.

10am - Seating area outside Lillies on the Park Cafe which is in Bicentenial Park, just off Australia Avenue. The Bike Hire is right next door.

What time people take off to ride etc is flexible as I know Col will not be down until 11am and some will have kids so I am guessing there will be a fast and slower paced group.

Some people may be earlier as the vets are racing at the Tennis Centre which is pretty much across the Road on the other side of Australia Avenue. If going to watch the vets, you may prefer to park yr car at the Park and walk/ride down as once your car is in the tennis centre, you cannot get out until the races are finished. They are also quick to book you if parked in the wrong place at tennis centre (531db correct me if I have this info wrong, I am going on info which was given to me today.)

I will head down to watch the vets before wandering up. I will be with Jim and his mates. He most likely wont be able to head up to cafe as he has been unwell lately. Just look for someone looking like a garden knome with a beanie on and it will most likely be Jim.

Karen.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks Karen,

I will be there by 10am. It seems there are a lot of people on this forum that already know each other in the "real" world. I look forward to meeting you all.

The "other" Roger

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Roger,

Most people know of each other but have not met in the 'real' world. Your post has turned out good as we get to catch up for a change.

I didnt realise how many of you I already know. I did a count and I know 12 of you already!

At least I wont have to worry about walking up to the wrong people on Sunday and asking "How old is your bike?"

Karen.

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Kid_Carbine wrote:The Hobbs? Please let it be the Hobbs. [Hobbs of Barbican]
I have drooled over these for a while with the curly frame Hetchins & the Bates BAR running a close second, but recent purchases mean that one of these will always remain a dream. Bummer. Classic English Bike link
Well actually the British classic bike was was going to be something else that I picked up today, nicely restored, but I've discovered some wheel (axle) spacing issues, and as the next week is a writeoff for me in terms of time to do much about rectifying the issue, it's likely to be the HoB that now makes an appearance on Sunday.

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

I forgot, I will be bringing my bike but good chance I will only be spectating or at most joining the slowies for a short ride only.

Mucked up my back and cycling is not agreeing with it at the moment unfortunately.

Karen.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:34 am

After all this good planning, I unfortunately wont be there on Sunday due to a bereavement in my family.

Please have a great time, and such a success that everyone wants to do it again soon (so I can join in!)

Regards
Roger II

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Roger,

Sorry to hear of the reason why you wont be attending. Dont worry, I am sure we will have another get together.

Karen.

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:58 am

So who is a definate for tomorrow so I know who to keep an eye out for.

At the moment I know Kid Carbine, 531db, Colb, Myself, my sister and her son, and a few of the dragster bike guys.

Wyvern and Ukalipt, you both still heading over? Anyone I missed?

Its at 10am. I wont be riding so if anyone is running late, its cool. I'll be the one sitting drinking tea and sulking cause I cant ride at the moment.

Karen.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:22 am

Having done all this coordination for your ride, it would be a good follow-up to set up a Sydney chapter of the Vintage Cycle Club of Victoria. Maybe even call it the Vintage Cycle Cub of NSW :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

WyvernRH

We'll be there!

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:48 pm

cludence wrote:So who is a definate for tomorrow so I know who to keep an eye out for.

At the moment I know Kid Carbine, 531db, Colb, Myself, my sister and her son, and a few of the dragster bike guys.

Wyvern and Ukalipt, you both still heading over? Anyone I missed?

Its at 10am. I wont be riding so if anyone is running late, its cool. I'll be the one sitting drinking tea and sulking cause I cant ride at the moment.

Karen.
Yup, my wife and I will be there unless the weather turns really nasty (it's a long drive in the rain :? ) We will be bringing our Clauds so look out for a silver Forester with a grey Claud on top (Kerry's red Claud lives inside the car 8) ) Hope to be there 10 to 10:30.

Cheers
Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Well I must say what a lovely bunch of people. We had a good turnout, (16 ppl inc kids), and everyone was as nice as their bike. -Except for Richard, his bike was terrbile. (I'm jealous) We left with phone numbers/email addresses, plans to meet on a regular basis and there was talk of a possible swap meet next time as well. It will definately be a regular thing, so yes, thanks Rogerrabbit, your post definately got us all getting our act together, it was good.

One of the guys there just happened to have his own spray painting business so I have sent him a link to this site. I suspect he will have a few people keen to get frames painted. He does a great job.

Only managed to get pics of some dragsters before the rain came down. Will post them later when I get camera out of car.

Karen.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 pm

cludence wrote:Well I must say what a lovely bunch of people. We had a good turnout, (16 ppl inc kids), and everyone was as nice as their bike. -Except for Richard, his bike was terrbile. (I'm jealous) We left with phone numbers/email addresses, plans to meet on a regular basis and there was talk of a possible swap meet next time as well. It will definately be a regular thing, so yes, thanks Rogerrabbit, your post definately got us all getting our act together, it was good.

One of the guys there just happened to have his own spray painting business so I have sent him a link to this site. I suspect he will have a few people keen to get frames painted. He does a great job.

Only managed to get pics of some dragsters before the rain came down. Will post them later when I get camera out of car.

Karen.
i am soooo jealous!
next one you guys have i am THERE!

vx255

Postby vx255 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Looking forward to seeing some of the photos
Striving for mediocrity.

WyvernRH

Great Ride!

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:46 pm

cludence wrote:Well I must say what a lovely bunch of people. We had a good turnout, (16 ppl inc kids), and everyone was as nice as their bike. -Except for Richard, his bike was terrbile. (I'm jealous)
Karen.
Oh well at least it was the bike not me :D I promise to wash it next time!
It was a good time, we must do it again. Re the discussion ofthe upside down Simplex here is a snippet of a TDF instruction sheet.
My case rests :P

I will post the images of the full 4 page leaflet in a separate thread.

Cheers
Richard

WyvernRH

Thanks!

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:52 pm

cludence wrote:Well I must say what a lovely bunch of people. We had a good turnout, (16 ppl inc kids), and everyone was as nice as their bike. -Except for Richard, his bike was terrbile. (I'm jealous) We left with phone numbers/email addresses, plans to meet on a regular basis and there was talk of a possible swap meet next time as well. It will definately be a regular thing, so yes, thanks Rogerrabbit, your post definately got us all getting our act together, it was good.

Karen.
Also, I must thank Karen for actually actioning the idea and bringing us all together. Also all the other folk there for great company and lots of interesting chat. On which subject :P Kid Carbine could you write down all that interesting info you told me about the history of SJH and post it either to me or the group? I found it fascinating (as was the bike) and it should be recorded somewhere.
I am considering trying to pull together an Aussie version of this UK site
http://classiclightweights.co.uk. I know it sort of duplicates the Canberra site but so much info is just not on that site but in people's heads.
Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Richard, I think a site like the Uk one would be great. It is definately needed. I often hear the guys telling stories at the Vets and it would be great to put some of the info and stories, photos etc on a site for future reference.

Unfortunately the rain sent everyone running to put their bikes in the car. Fortunately I took this one beforehand.

These bikes belong to a family. Brad, Carol and their kids. They came up from Dapto for the day. I had not met them before, but they were lovely people. Brad is also a spraypainter and has his own business so I have sent him a link to this forum. The bikes pictured he painted. Hopefully he stops in and says hello.

Karen.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 am

Thanks go to anybody involved in todays event as it was a wonderfull little get together.

We obviously had quite an assortment of bikes from a looooong wheelbase Beach Cruiser, through the Dragsters, & some lovely classic Claud Butlers, some childrens bikes. [ably propelled by children] There was Cols Speedwell. Not quite a restoration, but definately not a barstardisation & I was impressed with the four speed Sturmey Archer that it used. It was resplendant in its gleaming chrome components.

Cludence had her ALAN [80's Italian alloy exotica] looking quite regal in its blue finish & sparkling Campagnolo Super Record components.

531DB was to have his Hobbs there but found that he was unable to bring it & had only enough time to do a meet & greet of the happy throng before departing. The loss of this classic was felt by me as I have been looking forward to seeing it for a while, but then there was a woman involved with a delightfull English accent, so I can't blame him for wanting to do other things.

With a mountain bike & my SJH we had a pretty fair cross section of cycling types.

We were ably led down the garden path by Steve on his trike. Steve had a very nasty accident on his bike while competing in the bush some years back resulting in partial paralysis of his right side & the inability to ride a bicycle. His death was averted only by his helmet which was destroyed by the impact. The resulting affliction is permanant yet he competes on his trike & has a couple of gold medals for his efforts.
The sun gods shone upon us for the duration of the actual ride, but allowed the rainclouds in when we returned & the temperature plumeted. None the less it was a great day for all.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.