Folding bikes for taller riders

Mububban

Folding bikes for taller riders

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi everyone, I’m after experience with riders over 6 foot (I’m 6 foot 3, 189cm) who have tried or use a folding bike.

Backstory - I’m keen to convert my standard mountain bike to en electric assist, which looks like $800 to $1100 outlay, hence it hasn’t happened yet! But I might be getting a good tax return this year.

However I just saw this ad on Gumtree Perth, which appears to be from Dillenger folding bikes, selling their Cheetah model electric folding model for only $499, plus $80 postage to Perth. The same deal is available on their website, although it says "ending September."

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-per ... 1024428943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don’t really need a brand new bike, and have never tried a folding bike, but the $300 saving when I’m on a budget is tempting. It also shortens my return on investment time for saving petrol and wear on my 10 year old car.

I’m a lightweight, only 70kg, and do a 25km round trip for work each day. There are a couple of short sharp climbs that kick my butt on the way home, so I'm wondering how the folding bike would cope with that. Can you climb out of the saddle?

Anyone tall beanpoles got experience with folding bikes for comfort and adjustability? I'm used to a mountain bike with 24 gears, but have sampled a dedicated electric bike years ago and liked the extra oomph. Or any feedback on Dillenger bikes in general?

Thanks all

flyby

Re: Folding bikes for taller riders

Postby flyby » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 pm

http://www.electricvelocity.com.au/blog ... ine-4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds too good to be true to me :)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah, but the Dillenger website reckons this model will retail for $1350, and all their other models aren't cheap. Their other folding model costs $1900, and their website feels legit.

According to the website (identical to the Gumtree ad), they're selling this model cheap for a short time to act as advertising. Get them out there so people see the brand name.

Still doesn't answer whether folding bikes are okay for tall people!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am

There are plenty of tall bods riding Bromptons. So many that Brom make extended seatposts and handlebar setups for them.

That's what you'll have to check on your bike: if you can get the saddle high enough and if once you have the riding position is at all comfortable. How high can the bars go, and what's the seat to bar distance?

You might need to chat to the seller about it and what you do if it doesn't fit.

I've only ridden a Brompton and don't know if I can generalise to other folders, but the B with 6 gears can get moving pretty damn fast. Enough that it's surprised a couple of people on bigger bikes which is good considering the motor's a bit old and tired. IT tends to be a bit twitchy on the front without something in the front luggage but I think that's more true of Bromptons than other folders. Generally small wheeled bikes feel bad road surfaces more than big wheeled ones do.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info. They've got no phone number, only a web form or email. I've enquired so let's see what they say.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 pm

I commuted for six months last year on a Tern Link 24h. I'm not as tall as you (182cms), but it had another 7cms of extension on the seat post so probably not too bad a fit. There were a couple of issues with it, one being the unreliable three speed hub gear, but even more so the weight and lack of rigidity. Standing up on the pedals was pointless - all the extra power went into flexing the frame.
I don't regret owning it because it was a folder or nothing as it had to go under my desk at work. On the other hand I'm very glad I don't have to ride it any more.