How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

eldavo

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 pm

This week had a big bee smack me square on two front teeth while exhaling past teeth, my mouth was only slightly open fortunately.
The bee bounced off like a leg drive off the meat of the bat for an effortless boundary four runs (reference to the English innings crumbling like Ashes ;)
To counter that good fortune from a potentially bad situation, there's the humiliating small berry that falls for a perfectly time hit bang on the middle of the forehead like a few jackass crows are sitting up there with BB guns.
Just as I'm feel as barely a shadow of a man, life lights my candle again when I pass a blonde woman cycling with purple yoga tights making it unavoidable to notice the contrasting black single letter under garment, making all bees and berries long forgotten memories.

C'est la vie de vélos!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am

eldavo wrote: Just as I'm feel as barely a shadow of a man, life lights my candle again when I pass a blonde woman cycling with purple yoga tights making it unavoidable to notice the contrasting black single letter under garment, making all bees and berries long forgotten memories.

C'est la vie de vélos!
Please tell us you had a front camera running???

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:41 am

Long day on Friday. Left work and headed to the kids' school in Fitzroy North for their Xmas Market. Helped out there for a bit and eventually got on bike for the trip home after 7pm sometime. Peak traffic was already done by then, so had a reasonably good ride back via Epping.
Had some weekend work to take care of working from home, so I slacked off a bit and didn't ride at all, not even for a trip to the shops on the cargo bike.

Got on the bike this morning - nice and dry, rolled down our street with a cool south-easterly blowing through my hair....wait a minute - what' s wrong with this picture? Wind blowing through my hair!? Forgot the lid! Turned back for the helmet and eventually got underway into the CBD. The cool southerly persisted, so it wasn't the gentle, cruisy start to the week I had hoped for.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am

Weather man was stating 90% chance of rain today. Look out the window and it is sunny but with some dark clouds around. Get my wet weather gear ready in the backpack, bootie covers on ready for road filth and off I go.

I love it when the weather man is wrong....in the case of rain that is :)

Had a lovely run to the office..enjoyed the whole trip. It was warm but not too warm so I got some sweat going but it wasnt a torrent.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:15 pm

I do love Sydney in the springtime. Today I saw the wonderful sight of a very chic woman cycling through Hyde Park. I regret to inform you however that the only image my gopro captured is a glimpse of her front wheel.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm BAAACCK!!!

Holiday all over and back to the grind. Boo.

But what a lovely day to hop back on the bike after the break (I didn't feel too unfit, possibly because I kept up the jogging and used the hotel's gym bike to do a short spin yesterday so started warming up the muscles again.) :P

Many more cars stuck in traffic than usual this morning. Sailed past them all!!!

The GoPro didn't start either, even though it was charged all night. Which was strange because it was working fine over a week ago when I left... After researching online it looks like the Wifi may have turned on somehow (without flashing any lights to tell you it is) and drained all the batteries and left zero juice in anything meaning the camera won't start. I don't know how but after pulling a few things out (SD Card, battery etc.) and putting them back in, pressing buttons and plugging in and out of the charger it decided to randomly start. I won't make that mistake again when leaving the camera for an extended period of time! Internal battery comes out!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am

Summernight wrote:I'm BAAACCK!!!

Holiday all over and back to the grind. Boo.
Firstly...welcome back lol

Seems I spoke to soon in my report yesterday...about the weatherman getting it wrong. Got wet on the way home. Had the rain jacket on and not sure if I would have been dryer not wearing it...damm you can sweat instead 100% waterproof jackets. Ended up taking it off halfway through the commute home, sun was out. Last 8 k's to home and it started raining again, couldnt be bothered getting the jacket out.

This mornings commute was a cool chilly one. Skies were looking ominous with heavy dark clouds but luckily no rain..just cold. Near the end of November and here I am somewhat freezing the proverbial's off...what is the go with our screwed up weather??

Enjoyed my ride still :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am

saw an ambo at the tennison tennis centre round about. any one know what happened?

EDIT: welcome back summer

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:25 am

Nice ride home and nice ride in. What a good way to restart the commuting.

I especially enjoy passing all the cars stuck in traffic, and going around the cars who block the main intersection of Hoddle and Albert, thereby preventing other cars from crossing said intersection. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 am

Yesterday I absconded from works few min early due to an ominous looking weather radar and more ominous clouds and thunder. Gt a few drops as I started out so I stopped under a bridge and clad my backpack with a cover hoping to maintain some additional waterproofing, it also is high vis for riding when the skies are gloomy. I managed to get away from the storm and not get rained on. On a sour note in an extended parts chasing commute I copped 3 close shaves, two unnecessary MGIF before a left turn, fortunately not dangerous and some silly old woman that decided to pull out in front of me close enough that I adjusted my line and slowed. I guess she assumed I was riding in the parking lane when I wasn't. I sat at the same lights with her for a smidgen over 1.5min shortly after so she had gained precisely nil by pulling out. As I pulled up behind I thought about giving her a serve but in the end figured it wouldn't do anything.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

Smashing ride in this morning. I took the scenic route to rack up the kays and test out the new budget commuter gravel grinder build. Added an extra 15 km to the normal road trip but the push along the singletrack, double trail and bike paths right along the Murray River first thing on a still & warm morning was a rather special way to start the day.

The Grinder has turned out to be something quite special too given that I scored the frameset (early noughties Giant Cypress 700C hybrid) for $30 then spent another $45 on a Hope chainring plus $68 on a set of XT canti's and the rest has come out of the parts bin. Mind you, to actually build the thing new from scratch...assuming I had the frameset only...I'm estimating $880. You could of course do it much cheaper given it has a 1x10 XT driveline and $300 Novatec touring wheels...but cheap wheels are just awful!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm

My commute was just horrible. Pathetically slow, barely over 20km/h, cars everywhere.

Zeez I hate driving to town. Can't wait till tomorrow when I can ride again
Anything you can do, I can do slower

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Fastest ride ever yesterday morning. Averaged 36.4 kph over the 14 km to the CBD. There must have been a tailwind, but it wasn't much given the tree leaves were hardly moving.

Last night on the shared path on the Yarra's north bank, guy shouts "Get on the road!" Idiot.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:42 pm

98octane wrote:
Last night on the shared path on the Yarra's north bank, guy shouts "Get on the road!" Idiot.
And if he was in his car I am sure the idiot would have shouted "get off the road"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Perth:

The nicest couple of days into work in three weeks. Te winds have softened and are no longer comng from the cold inland.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:46 pm

I saw you enjoying it by loitering on the path in front of your cafe having a yarn =D

Yesterday was a first commute on a new bike, not my first belt drive, but first I've changed tyres on and noticed yay no grease to clean up or accidentally get marked by. I'm trying 28c Ultrasport Plus, not as nice as Schwalbe, but price was lower to match the quality. Changing tyres/tubes on the new bike late Sunday night I swiss-cheesed a tube with 6 patches covering about 15 punctures, tired I really did a number on it. I got a new tube (stem not long enough for deeper aero rims) but managed no punctures, and he Lezyne HP foot/hand pump got it up to pressure, just enough stem length to get the stem nut and cap on =D

First ride in a long time on a steel road bike, first for aero rims, first for clipped pedals (no clipped shoes so used PD-A580 flat sides), second time for belt drive, all sparkly clean and new, I blew my nose into my hand 6km in and found I had blood sprayed over light jersey and yellow high-vis right sleeve. The white gloves then got blood smears wiping the running blood away. So much for no greasy chain to make a mess =P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 pm

snapped my rear derailleur cable this arvo. made it home. all fixed now

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 pm

jasonc wrote:snapped my rear derailleur cable this arvo. made it home. all fixed now
You busted your freewheel too? :shock:

Southerly sucked for me. Makes a headwind, and it was ripsnorter too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Half commute yesterday, then half today.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 am

Busy couple of days for me work wise, dealing with a production system emergency.

Busy on the paths too, full of peds and other assorted critters. Here's one of them slithering across the MYT just after Dight Falls:

Couldn't tell what kind of snake it was due to emergency evasive action, but it looked a lot browner than in the overexposed pic above.

I came across another snake on the gravel section of the MYT heading towards Heidelberg, this one was dirty light brown with grey bands and had just slithered into the undergrowth as I went past - couldn't make it out in the footage.

Then this morning I came across two fox cubs on the Darebin Creek Trail near Settlement Rd. They momentarily remained on the path looking at me before trotting off. I was a bit startled myself because any wildlife around the path usually makes a run for it as I approach.
Unfortunately the cubs were just outside of the cone of light visible on the camera footage - the Contour isn't great for low-light conditions.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 am

Rising early proved its advantages today. Early departure gave me plenty of extra km, some Fernleigh PRs and finished with a lakeside cruise in perfect weather conditions.

No critters today.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:14 am

bychosis wrote:
jasonc wrote:snapped my rear derailleur cable this arvo. made it home. all fixed now
You busted your freewheel too? :shock:
ha ha
how about "cable replaced. all working now"

perfect weather in brissy

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am

Enjoyed a nice southerly on the way home yesterday...what a huge difference a tailwind makes.

This morning was quite crisp...but will hopefully warm up to a nice sweaty afternoon with another tailwind..hopefully. Had some kind motorists this morning too. Since having a helmet mounted camera it seems I have had fewer incidents..maybe I have been on a good run, but I was just thinking this morning that cars seem to be nicer and it could be due to the more visible camera. The weight of the camera on the helmet is a pain but it may just be a worthwhile sacrifice for less incidents.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:07 am

I was sure others had posted after me yesterday..yet none showing..maybe I am losing it

Anyways...The ride home yesterday was just brilliant. Had a tailwind of sorts to assist and the weather was perfect. It was a real joy to be on the bike.

This mornings commute was more of the same...but no wind assist unfortunately. Really do hope this weather keeps up for a few more weeks.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:18 pm

rather than go directly across the city from hyde park to king st, I decided to go around the rocks. Sunny afternoon, nice breeze riding underneath the harbour bridge, there's worse ways to finish a working day