Tips for 'Climber' in flat races

Xplora

Re: Tips for 'Climber' in flat races

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Rheicel, saw a good article in Cyclingtips about the difference in muscle firing, climbing you need to go "bang bang bang" whereas the TT style is more "maash maash maash". Same watts, but the way it happens is different because you don't carry momentum on the climb. I think a big part of me reckons that some people reckon they are climbers because they aren't very good TTers and they don't weigh much - so they beat their mates up the climbs, until they get smoked by a real climber in a race LOL This post might be autobiographical in nature :lol:

Mezzo90-cyclist

Postby Mezzo90-cyclist » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 am

Xplora wrote: I think a big part of me reckons that some people reckon they are climbers because they aren't very good TTers and they don't weigh much - so they beat their mates up the climbs, until they get smoked by a real climber in a race LOL This post might be autobiographical in nature :lol:
That sums me up. Although yet to try my hand at a road race, I can see myself getting dropped hard by the stronger riders up the climbs, as well as the flats!

Just more motivation to train harder really!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:55 am

In my club anyone who weighs less than our 100kg president is labelled a climber.

For instance, C grade is full of climbers :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 pm

LMAO and I bet you only have flat crit races too Baldy as they sling around the climber label :lol:

Just remember, there is nothing more humbling than having a guy 30kgs lighter than you smoke you up the climb, for any reason... especially after they dragged your sorry butt to the bottom of the hill at 50kmh (croozin, you are a scary dude!!!!)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Xplora wrote:Just remember, there is nothing more humbling than having a guy 30kgs lighter than you smoke you up the climb
Yes, there is, a 14 year old who is half your weight doing the same. Actually, having someone in their 60s do the same is also humbling.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Nah we don't run any crits as a club[STCC]. There is another club[Wheelers/DirtDevils] who run them on a purpose built track at Tolosa Park[small 65-75sec laps] The stronger guys in general do better. Our members just race there and the clubs collaborate on races.

STCC just run TT's and RR's with pretty much all of them being opens[we are a masters club] Just most of the club "bling" can only be won by members.

Its a small club. Put it this way, our best climbers are also our best sprinters and TT'ers. We have tons of great roads here but getting permits to race on them every other weekend is another thing. The only hilltop finish at a race in southern tas that I can think of is the Wellington TT. Punter and NRS versions.

So yeah like most people have said just get a better engine and work on positioning. Just do what I say and not what I do, got it? :)