Perth CBD

wellington_street

Perth CBD

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Couldn't find a suitable thread...

So I rode down Murray Street this morning and noticed that CoP are making cycle lanes in both directions. I assume they extend all the way to William from the Freeway.

Will be a handy east-west route, however I'm not sure what West Perth people do when they hit the freeway? Turn left into Elder then right into George (nasty on such a steep grade)?

CycleSnail

Re: Perth CBD

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:07 pm

CoP has a bunch of programs in the "Cycle Plan Implementation Program" relating to Murray Street, all planned for 2013/14:

Murray St
On – road cycle lanes
Between Thomas St and George St - create on road cycle lanes in an east and west bound direction, treatment at various intersections for bicycle priority
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$100,000

Murray St
Pedestrian priority zone
Between George St and Elder St – create a pedestrian priority zone on the existing northern footway with associated signage for slow cyclist speeds and pedestrian priority through the area
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$14,000

Murray St
Integrated Cycling Route
Between Elder St and William St - create an integrated cycling route with associated road markings and signage to create a shared zone between motorists and cyclists
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$30,000

Murray St
Integrated Cycling Route
Between Barrack St and Pier St - create an integrated cycling route with associated road markings and signage to create a shared zone between motorists and cyclists
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$25,000
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:30 pm

CycleSnail wrote:CoP has a bunch of programs in the "Cycle Plan Implementation Program" relating to Murray Street, all planned for 2013/14:

Murray St
On – road cycle lanes
Between Thomas St and George St - create on road cycle lanes in an east and west bound direction, treatment at various intersections for bicycle priority
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$100,000
:lol:

I'll believe it when I see it.
CycleSnail wrote:Murray St
Pedestrian priority zone
Between George St and Elder St – create a pedestrian priority zone on the existing northern footway with associated signage for slow cyclist speeds and pedestrian priority through the area
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$14,000
So westbound cyclists will need to cross Murray St, get on the northern footway to cross the freeway, then cross again to the southern side to proceed westbound?

Damn freeway entrance causing trouble.

And :lol: at this "pedestrian priority zone" rubbish again.
Integrated Cycling Route
Between Elder St and William St - create an integrated cycling route with associated road markings and signage to create a shared zone between motorists and cyclists
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$30,000
Well it has cycle lanes (between Milligan and William at least) so that's not a "shared zone between motorists and cyclists".
Integrated Cycling Route
Between Barrack St and Pier St - create an integrated cycling route with associated road markings and signage to create a shared zone between motorists and cyclists
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$25,000
Removing the existing cycle lane eastbound.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Integrated Cycling Route
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$30,000
Had a better look on the way home.

Cycle lanes in both directions between Elder and Milligan.

Mixed traffic operation east of Milligan. The eastbound cycle lane just ends at the stop line with no warning and no real room to merge. At least there's a bicycle symbol in the centre of the lane after the intersection, indicating to drivers that we should be there.

After reaching the end of Milligan I went left into William - the stop line at Wellington is now set back by around 10m to allow for buses turning into William St. Idiot motorists seem to struggle with it.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:50 pm

I checked out the cycle lane between Milligan and Elder Street last night. There are some obvious potential hazards:

1) Parking bays to the left of the cycle lane could lead to getting doored
2) The entrance to the QV1 carpark is less than ideal - motorists crossing from the east-bound side of the road will be focusing on oncoming car traffic, not bikes.
3) Manhole cover in the centre of the lane towards Elder street has not been treated - will be a bumpy ride.
4) The lane just ends at Elder Street, with no direction as to what cyclists should do. The curb has been lowered, so I guess you go onto the path.

I need to get from Elder Street to the Kwinana PSP, so I have 3 choices at this point:

1) Use the Pedestrian crossings under the freeway, and then up past the IBM building - 6 sets of lights
2) Use the footpath up Elder Street - steep, narrow and at least 4 hidden driveways - 3 sets of lights
3) Cycle up Elder Street itself, minding vehicles entering from the driveways, and traffic that still thinks it is on the freeway - 3 sets of lights

None of them are great choices.

I think things are slightly better in the Eastbound direction, at least until Milligan Street. The cycle headstart at the lights will no doubt cause issues with motorists wanting to get ahead of cyclists, and those motorists wanting to turn left, across the the path of cyclists.

Sometimes I wonder if Perth City takes its cycle path guidlines from here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... the-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Rusty

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:18 pm

^ Good post.

I would argue that the westbound cycle lane is unnecessary as it is downhill and riders have been riding in mixed traffic prior to that section.

The extra width freed up by removing it could then be used to widen the eastbound cycle lane to reduce the dooring hazard.

I haven't had a close look - is there any legal way for westbound cyclists to proceed across the freeway? I saw the traffic lane has a "left turn only" requirement but couldn't see what exception was marked for bicycles, if anything.

I had a good :lol: at that link - some real quality right there!

ikm

Postby ikm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Rusty6149 wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Perth City takes its cycle path guidlines from here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... the-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Rusty

:shock: So funny :lol:

redned

Postby redned » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:01 pm

[quote="wellington_streetI had a good :lol: at that link - some real quality right there![/quote]
Some of which reminded me of this beauty I came across in Salamanca Spain.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 pm

This seems like an appropriate treatment for the west end of Murray Street:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am

Murray Street westbound is now open to traffic - rode down there this morning. The cycle lane west of Milligan is very narrow - vehicles were parked hard up against the lane, so I ended up just riding in the traffic lane. No indication of where to go once you hit Elder Street so I jumped onto the path and headed under the freeway.

West of Milligan Street is just mixed traffic riding - had more issues from idiot pedestrians trying to cross in front of me than any vehicles.

Couple of close shaves earlier on my ride - I think I need to be more assertive in claiming the lane through the narrow bits.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Discovered today that there's no bicycle parking at Raine Square for visitors. Checked both Murray and William Street entries and there was none that I could see. Did I miss something? I find it pretty hard to believe a development that size has no cycle parking at street level.

There's probably some u-rails deep down in the basement somewhere but that's completely inappropriate for the average cyclist stopping by after work for some groceries.

Have sent them an email expressing my unhappiness with the situation and letting them know I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 pm

I've had a look around there too, couldn't find anything. In fact there are fewer places to park around there since it looks like they removed the ones behind the Aviary/Perth Underground building? The closest place to park would be behind Jamie's Italian, on the way through to Forrest Place.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 am

Email response this morning: "As a new development we are still establishing pedestrian flow and the best locations for items such as bike rails. Please know that these are in a planning stage and we hope to see them installed within the next 12 months."

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Didn't think you could get a 5 star green rating without putting facilities in these days..

Maybe you just have to "promise" to put them in at some indeterminate point in the future.

--Rusty

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Installing u-rails is a pretty complicated thing, it takes 24 months from planning to construction, don't you know? :lol:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:41 pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... city-road/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buses-only for busy city road
Yolanda Zaw, The West Australian
Updated December 10, 2013, 2:30 am

One of Perth's major thoroughfares may be closed to general traffic and turned into a bus-only road under a State Government proposal being considered by the City of Perth.

The Public Transport Authority has proposed that the section of William Street, between Murray Street and Hay Street malls, be gradually converted into an exclusive bus, cycle, pedestrian and taxi zone where private vehicles are prohibited.

The three-stage process is expected to begin next month when Riverside Drive is permanently closed to make way for the Elizabeth Quay project.

The PTA suggests that new turning lanes be created on William Street to divert traffic from the section between the two malls and installing five bus stops on the western side of the road.

Buses that now run along Barrack Street will be re-routed on to William Street.

The final stage, scheduled for the 2015-16 financial year, would involve Barrack Street being opened to two-way traffic and William Street closed to private vehicles.

The PTA believes the plan will concentrate bus priority to one street and improve overall public transport efficiency in the CBD.

The City of Perth is expected to give conditional approval to the proposal when council meets tonight.
CycleSnail, do you know anything about this project? Will cyclists be allowed to use William Street?

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:39 pm

wellington_street wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... city-road/
Buses-only for busy city road
Yolanda Zaw, The West Australian
Updated December 10, 2013, 2:30 am

The Public Transport Authority has proposed that the section of William Street, between Murray Street and Hay Street malls, be gradually converted into an exclusive bus, cycle, pedestrian and taxi zone where private vehicles are prohibited.
CycleSnail, do you know anything about this project? Will cyclists be allowed to use William Street?
Bicycles will be allowed to filter through, in a similar manner as they are now allowed in Hay Street and Murray Street malls. I do not think the details have been worked out
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 pm

I just realised the article says that cyclists will be allowed. I should probably read it properly next time :lol:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:00 am

Not sure where the right thread is but I just found this tonight - got posted sometime around Christmas so I missed it earlier.

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/documents-medi ... r-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at page 24 of the doc, showing the ped and cycle routes through the City Link development. Screenshot below:

Not a single north-south cycle route connection - when did this happen? MRA were supposed to be replacing the Milligan St bridge with a better facility but now there's nothing?