Recommend some road pedals

trailgumby

Recommend some road pedals

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 am

I've been using Shimano 105 pedals for the last few weeks on the roadie and while I really like the extra stability compared to mtb pedals, the high drag in the float action is giving me knee pain. WD40 on the cleat before a ride helps but is not sustainable.

Speedplay looks like a contender - the double sided entry is a definite plus but the setup looks expensive and with all the mechanics in the cleat maintenance costs could be high especially as I climb and descend the Harbour Bridge steps most weekdays.

Any other options? Lack of friction within the float range is the primary consideration followed by ease of entry. I've been getting it wrong too often which has made for quite a nervous last fortnight's commuting.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

m@

Re: Recommend some road pedals

Postby m@ » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:59 am

Speedplay are terrific, but as you've observed not the best off the bike. Keep-on covers (or Macguivered Cafe Covers) do make walking short distances tolerable though. Cost and maintenance are justified by the outcome for me; but I don't use them for commuting.

Have you considered mtb pedals though? I use eggbeaters on my commuter/runabout and with reasonably good shoes find them great... much easier to get into than anything else I've used, and lower maintenance than the speedplays.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:07 am

My 20 cents worth says -

When I switched from using Shimano SPD on my road bike to using road cleats/pedals, my then LBS bloke (who is long term tied up with a local bicycle club thus has plenty of experience with different pedal requirements) gave me some very good advice as I insisted upon the ease of unclipping like an older well worm pair of SPD's offers in a road pedal cleat system. He recommended Time RXS (of which he had none to sell me) ........ I followed through on his advice and now count my lucky stars -

Time RXS :-

* Very low resistance in the float range which is 5 degrees both left and right direction which for me with slightly angled cleat mounts means perfection for my ankles
* Easiest system to unclip out of (3 tension settings) even easier to escape than a nicely worn SPD set up
* Once you get accustomed to the angle the pedal needs to be on in order to clip in - even a brand new cleat locks in first time every time

As I stated before, my primary concern was ankle strength and subsequent pain from the unclipping process. RXS suits me to a T in this regard and the float really is a float - your shoe rotates without having to think about it. I have 3 road bikes now, all fitted with RXS pedals.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 am

Speedplay all the way. After 18 months on look keo
Speedplay are lighter. Easier to get in and out of
Fully adjustable float. Much easier to set up cleat position (if you use specific sole shoes)
Did I say easier to get into at lights.
Weight tunable if that's important to you.
Cleats last longer that keo but cafe covers are a must.
Ill never go back. The best decision I ever made.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 am

+1 to speedplay. Friction within the float is that low I felt like i was ice skating the first few times I used them. And no knee pain for me since shifting from ultegra.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Speedplay are fantastic. Really, really good. So easy to use and provide a fantastic platform. I picked up a (near new) set of the marketplace for $80 for the stainless model, normally they are ~$180?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Another peg for speedplay here. So much adjustability as well with the fore/aft adapter kit to move cleats more rearwards or forwards. So easy to get into. Keep on Covers are a must if you don't want to damage the cleat when coming out. I just wish there was cafe overs for keep on covers :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm

trailgumby wrote:I've been using Shimano 105 pedals for the last few weeks on the roadie and while I really like the extra stability compared to mtb pedals, the high drag in the float action is giving me knee pain. WD40 on the cleat before a ride helps but is not sustainable.

Speedplay looks like a contender - the double sided entry is a definite plus but the setup looks expensive and with all the mechanics in the cleat maintenance costs could be high especially as I climb and descend the Harbour Bridge steps most weekdays.

Any other options? Lack of friction within the float range is the primary consideration followed by ease of entry. I've been getting it wrong too often which has made for quite a nervous last fortnight's commuting.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Sounds like you've got a knee alignment issue, float is a good bandaid / insurance option but you should consider getting a knee/pedal alignment done.

I recommend Speedplay X5 pedals if you want float, they are probably around $150?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Already done on the MTB with carbon shoes and have followed the same position on the road shoes for heel in/out. I'm very slighyly heel in. Will review fore/aft placement tonight but should be close.

My current mtb pedals are XT and I previously have not had this issue except when I used the Ergon cleat tool to set the cleats dead straight in line with the heel.

This is different. The amount of rotational resistance is similar to a *very* stiff fluid panhead camera tripod.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

If the speedplay wear is a potential issue, what about Keo Easy? Plus: real lightweight float and disengagement, cheaper cleats. Minus: single sided.

Or maybe a set of the platform+SPD pedals to get the extra area under your foot. Plus: use your MTB shoes, easy walking. Minus: change pedals if you want anything else on a weekend.

There's only one true solution...n+1 with n+1 shoes and n+1 pedals to keep your systems separate!

Jim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 pm

trailgumby wrote:Already done on the MTB with carbon shoes and have followed the same position on the road shoes for heel in/out. I'm very slighyly heel in. Will review fore/aft placement tonight but should be close.

My current mtb pedals are XT and I previously have not had this issue except when I used the Ergon cleat tool to set the cleats dead straight in line with the heel.

This is different. The amount of rotational resistance is similar to a *very* stiff fluid panhead camera tripod.

Do you mean you set the side to side the same on both shoes? Keep in mind your MTB Q-factor is probably wider than your road bike.

Wear on speedplay cleats is only really an issue for people who either have never used them, or those who walk around in sand and mud. I get around 10,000kms out of a set of cleats which I think is double what Speedplay say is possible. I don't do anything special, try to keep them clean and a bit of oil from time to time.

The pedals I like are Shimano, Speedplay and Keywin. All offer good levels of adjustment, Keywin are the easiest to swap axle lengths on, speedplay have the most float and Shimano are the best value and are also the most readily available.

You might find this video interesting, there is quite a lot involved to do an accurate knee alignment - this is obviously only one system. An experienced person can do a similar job with a laser level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_zpaWMUaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 pm

So does anyone have any Speedplay road pedals and cleats they want to clear out? :D

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:13 am

trailgumby wrote:So does anyone have any Speedplay road pedals and cleats they want to clear out? :D
I'd get a new set mate, they come with cleats which regularly cost around $70 so the pedals arn't expensive new and you know what you are getting. I keep the service up to mine (very simple to grease them) and have never worn a set of bearings out.

http://www.this link is broken.au/speedplay-x5-c ... ly-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:49 am

Cycling Express usually have 'em too, so price match for 10% off the wiggle price! :winning:

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Recently purchased a set of these http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/xpedo ... ble/RF07MC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and find them to be fantastic.
Light, secure, easy to clip in/out, plus they come with 2 sets of cleats - 6 degree and 0 degree float.
Recommended.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hobart-r ... 1032198137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:39 pm

antipodean wrote:Recently purchased a set of these http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/xpedo ... ble/RF07MC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and find them to be fantastic.
Light, secure, easy to clip in/out, plus they come with 2 sets of cleats - 6 degree and 0 degree float.
Recommended.
I'v been wondering about those. I'm going right off composite body pedals - as soon as you start researching all there is is tales of breakages (a minority probably, but still I want pedals that will last). There is not much around in metal bodied pedals these days - Shimano, Ritchey (Echelon) and these Xpedos seem about the sum of it. The Xpedos are certainly keenly priced and seem to be serviceable, which is good. Reviews are scarce, but the vibe is positive.

I'm sure Speedplays are great to pedal on, but I just can't come at that kludgy cleat set up. I'd love to stick with Time pedals, but the breakage I've had (not catastrophic, but still disappointing) puts me off.

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:51 pm

@Jean, you missed Crank Brothers - though of course they're aimed at MTB, something like Candys would make a decent road platform with the right shoe.

I was a bit skeptical about the Speedplay "worldview", but wouldn't go back to traditional designs; I'm not alone which makes me suspect they're onto something - but enough proselytising from me ;)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Crank Bros!

:x

Might as well be made from recycled coffee cups. A triumph of form over function ... nice looking kit, but it breaks. Frequently. Or it needs the guts replaced annually, and then becomes like Grandpa's axe. It's had three new handles and five new heads, but gee it's been a great axe. Pedals, seatposts, cranks, you name it. Chronically under-engineered.

I wouldn't touch anything with their logo on it unless it was a two-for-the price of one deal, at 50% off RRP for the first item, so that I can put the other one on the bike while the other is being fixed under warranty.

Actually, scratch that. I want to keep my teeth intact, thanks. Make that "I wouldn't touch anything with their logo on it, period.:

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.this link is broken.au/speedplay-ligh ... 5360231552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Easy choice.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

speedplays are harder to get our of than spds. Normally never had an issue, but after a couple of hard runs (as in running) my ankles where a bit sore and unclipping the speed plays (zeros) was almost a clipstack moment.

spds with platform: I have a set of Shimano DX M647 Pedals, the friction of my shoes sole agains the platform messes with the float. So if you go that route you'll have to get creative by trying the sand down some shoe sole or a spacer under the cleat. I tried neither and went straight back to normal spd.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 pm

trailgumby wrote:Crank Bros!

:x
..."I wouldn't touch anything with their logo on it, period.:
Tell us what you really think. :mrgreen:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:10 pm

eeksll wrote:speedplays are harder to get our of than spds. Normally never had an issue, but after a couple of hard runs (as in running) my ankles where a bit sore and unclipping the speed plays (zeros) was almost a clipstack moment.
Speedplay have a few models, I use the X-series which use no pressure to unclip - once you heel is at the release angle you are out. No need to SNAP or FLICK it out..

Most people these days tend to purchase the Zero model but I still prefer the older X-series.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 am

Now @trailgumby, I trust you're basing this on a rigorous testing process and not just an isolated experience supported by idle internet chatter :P

I just replaced the bars on my Anthem with a set of Cranky Cobalt 11s (carbon)... so if I suddenly stop posting you'll know why :mrgreen:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I have a crank bro's stem on my winterbike... over engineered to the max with the largest width face plate I seen.
But I digress ... pedals, only ever ridden Times since 1997, love them so much I moved next to the factory :P .