My girlfriend getting too thin?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
winstonw

Re: My girlfriend getting too thin?

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:35 am

AUbicycles wrote:As a mod courtesy - a post was removed. As an example or metaphor a was made with references to sexuality. In the rules we ask that sexuality is not a part of discussions as it is broadly not cycling related and this (and other topics) becomes a point of difference and upset.

Simply means discussion on topic without such references.
the post you removed which was mine, highlighted a long accepted medical fact mentioned on numerous govt health websites, that a GP too constrained to address a patent's fat status effectively, might also shy away from communicating effectively to patients.

The upset and consequent removal of the post is an example of how PC thought is suppressing the medical wellbeing of Australians for fear of upsetting people who blindly accept deceptive propaganda of associated lobby groups.

As a health professional, my view is it's intellectually and emotionally naive and precious prejudice to censor health risks associated with sexuality, and not with obesity. It screams that fat people's feelings are not as precious as those of the forum member who took offense at my post.

I am sure if fat people can organize a savvy govt funded lobby group, they'll soon be effective in repressing the facts regarding health risks of being overweight, getting the term 'fat' banned from the media, and having fatness censored on bicycle forums!

Anyway, I should give up on preventative health. I'll get wealthier and have less work hassles, letting people believe what they want, as will GPs.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:46 pm

winstonw wrote:I am sure if fat people can organize a savvy govt funded lobby group, they'll soon be effective in repressing the facts regarding health risks of being overweight, getting the term 'fat' banned from the media, and having fatness censored on bicycle forums!
Diets going well winstonw, don't be surprised if surprise is censored soon, OMGosh :roll: see auto correct :lol:

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Winston, welcome to the wonderful world of Disney.

Primary school children in Australia are less censored than this forum. Which is amusing because they are one of the reasons given for the conservative rulebook.

Sure its a private forum and the owner reserves the right to run it how they want. The fact is its the average joe/jane who makes the forum valuable as a resource and as a source of advertising income for the owners. I believe the majority begrudgingly stick to the Disney playbook, its just that most of them are not willing to say so and get certain people offside.

Yes your girlfriend is getting too thin.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:12 pm

If this is the case that a metaphor or an example should display no references to sexuality... then are we allowed to use the words he and she or his and her? These four wrods reference sexuality as do Mr, Mrs, Miss, Master or Ms... what about referencing a child, should we say the child? An what about a husband and wife? All these words reference sexuality.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 pm

[mod]If you have a issue with a moderation, then the correct process is to take the issue to the moderators. It is not acceptable to bitch, bag or put down anyone. Show some maturity and move on[/mod]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:14 am

Wintonw this is a cycling forum, if you want to discuss sexuality you are in the wrong forum.
Baldy, that is not a fact rather a guess at how you think it is run.
Cycling is in my BNA

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 am

Sorry Christopher

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 am

winstonw wrote:I am sure if fat people can organize a savvy govt funded lobby group, they'll soon be effective in repressing the facts regarding health risks of being overweight, getting the term 'fat' banned from the media, and having fatness censored on bicycle forums!
Fortunately, no "fat" people would accept they are "fat". So that's just a dream! LOL
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:35 pm

sogood wrote:
Fortunately, no "fat" people would accept they are "fat". So that's just a dream! LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm

sogood wrote:
Most people are aware of the fact that they're fat, because they feel self conscious, they eat loads of food when nobody is around, they eat out of the garbage bin. How do you get to eating out of the garbage bin? Well, you buy a heap of bad food and feel guilty for eating it because you're unhappy, the people at work are being mean or you don't earn very much and trying to eat healthy can be expensive, you throw that half block of chocolate in the bin, but five minutes later your ravenous hungry because the burger and fries from Macca's are filled with something that turns some dial in your head that tells you to eat eat eat (I've been there).

You know that loud fat girl whose the centre of attention, turns out that when she's a size twelve she's actually pretty quiet and motivated, she's even somewhat confident, will wear a bathing suit and hit the pool for laps three days a week, she'd go to the beach but she hates the sand.

But you know we're told things like, "Your just big boned," and people justify your size by saying, "oh but you have such a pretty face."

The words, "Your big boned," translate to, "Your fat.

The words, "You have such a pretty face," translate to, "your fat or you have some other problem."

Then when you develop the self-realisation to accept that you're fat and to make changes in your lifestyle to lose that fat you have people say things to you like, "Oh, you don't need to lose weight, you're perfect as you're." What they mean to say is, "I'm skinny, your fat, it's the whole reason why our friendship works, because I'm fitter and prettier than her."

Or you get dragged into HR, "We're really concerned that you've lost too much weight..." which translates to, "Your going above and beyond what everyone else is doing and you're making the rest of us look bad."

If you want to lose weight, you need to surround yourself with fit, healthy and motivated people. Not those skinny fat people, who do no exercise and maintain a skinny body, but the size 12 chick who works her but off who used to fit into a size 24.

The world we live in has an image problem, especially when a gorgeous size 12 model is called plus sized, when things like 'thigh gap' dictate your level of hotness (don't know what that is? Google it). You fight fatness by putting size 2 models in magazines, magazines that are available for ALL ages and you create the other problem, you create Anna's.

Losing weight and keeping it off isn't as easy as taking a pill, I find myself judging fat people all the time, then I realised that not only was I one of them, that I will always be one of them. I will always have to think about what I eat, I will always have to think about how much I exercise. Fat women are judged more than fat men.

If you have never been fat, then you have no idea what its like to be represented as a lazy slob who perhaps has self esteem issues that they don't know where to start fixing.

If you have been fat and you're juding the fat person on the bus like I did the other night then we need to go and check ourselves because that's rude.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Yes. They are pushing for acceptance and accept fat as being "healthy". That won't help the earlier proposal.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Parker wrote:...Well, you buy a heap of bad food and feel guilty for eating it because you're unhappy, the people at work are being mean or you don't earn very much and trying to eat healthy can be expensive, you throw that half block of chocolate in the bin, but five minutes later your ravenous hungry because the burger and fries from Macca's are filled with something that turns some dial in your head that tells you to eat eat eat (I've been there).
It's no accident. It is astonishing to hear some people say that it is a matter of willpower, or lack of it...

"The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magaz ... -food.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm

ball bearing wrote:
Parker wrote:...Well, you buy a heap of bad food and feel guilty for eating it because you're unhappy, the people at work are being mean or you don't earn very much and trying to eat healthy can be expensive, you throw that half block of chocolate in the bin, but five minutes later your ravenous hungry because the burger and fries from Macca's are filled with something that turns some dial in your head that tells you to eat eat eat (I've been there).
It's no accident. It is astonishing to hear some people say that it is a matter of willpower, or lack of it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magaz ... -food.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope it's not an accident, its a really sad horrible thing about this world that we have turned ourselves into a place that cares so much for money that we're willing to cut people's lives short.

What a great place.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:06 pm

ball bearing wrote:It's no accident. It is astonishing to hear some people say that it is a matter of willpower, or lack of it...
Chicken or the egg problem. You have to break the cycle somewhere and will power can certainly break that cycle. No question about it. Mass media is great at making us dependent and find blames and weaken our will power. Simple!

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Parker wrote:trying to eat healthy can be expensive
:roll:

People just use this as an excuse.

< $1 oats, < $1 dried dates, < $1 milk and ~1c cinnamon and that's my breakfast for a week. Cheaper than one cappuccino.

< $20 of salad/sprouts, beans, tofu & quorn or whatever and a little dressing. That's my lunch for a week. Some of the salad is used by my wife for her lunches, so probably less than $20/week.

~$10 fruit for snacks (maybe less) for a week

Any cooking for the above is < 2 mins in the microwave. So cooking ain't the problem either.

I have not added it up, but I doubt more than ~$40 is spend on me alone, and I suspect a lot less, for dinner every week - my wife does most of the cooking at home because she spends more time there, not because I can't cook.

Could you really live on maccas, for a week, for $70? Is this a lot to spend on food for one person?

If you want to lose weight, you have to accept that you need to change your life and put a bit of effort in. I am not going to say it is easy - I know it is not. Anything else, except possibly being time poor (which IME most people over-exaggerate and there is evidence that, in fact, time poor people are actually better exercisers because they actually schedule time in for it - unfortunately I cannot find the study right now), is just an excuse.

I do not have a problem with fat people, just people who are fat/unfit and wish they were not while not doing anything about it, or worse whinging about it, about how society should be different, that life is unfair, they should have respect for their choices etc.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:43 pm

sogood wrote:
ball bearing wrote:It's no accident. It is astonishing to hear some people say that it is a matter of willpower, or lack of it...
Chicken or the egg problem. You have to break the cycle somewhere and will power can certainly break that cycle. No question about it. Mass media is great at making us dependent and find blames and weaken our will power. Simple!
For most people it is a matter of being conditioned by what mama gave them. Most people get angry when they are forced to consider that what they are eating is not healthy. Their diet is a source of pleasure and satisfaction and they don't wish that to be threatened in any way. The irony is that eating natural and healthy food is actually every bit as pleasurable as eating junk food.

My personal solution is not to become addicted to junk foods in the first place. I have avoided such foods for many years in favour of a plant-based diet. For myself it is not a matter of willpower, it is a matter of not recognising processed foods as being legitimate food at all. This has been my habit for the last 40 years. As a result (knock on wood) I enjoy marvellously good health which allows me to keep cycling to my heart's content. Somehow I do not believe this to be a mere coincidence.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:45 pm

ball bearing wrote:For myself it is not a matter of willpower, it is a matter of not recognising processed foods as being legitimate food at all...
Definition of 'Will Power' - n. The strength of will to carry out one's decisions, wishes, or plans.

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:51 pm

i'm just going to leave this here: http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:00 pm

simonn wrote:
Parker wrote:trying to eat healthy can be expensive
:roll:

People just use this as an excuse.

< $1 oats, < $1 dried dates, < $1 milk and ~1c cinnamon and that's my breakfast for a week. Cheaper than one cappuccino.

< $20 of salad/sprouts, beans, tofu & quorn or whatever and a little dressing. That's my lunch for a week. Some of the salad is used by my wife for her lunches, so probably less than $20/week.

~$10 fruit for snacks (maybe less) for a week

Any cooking for the above is < 2 mins in the microwave. So cooking ain't the problem either.

I have not added it up, but I doubt more than ~$40 is spend on me alone, and I suspect a lot less, for dinner every week - my wife does most of the cooking at home because she spends more time there, not because I can't cook.

Could you really live on maccas, for a week, for $70? Is this a lot to spend on food for one person?

If you want to lose weight, you have to accept that you need to change your life and put a bit of effort in. I am not going to say it is easy - I know it is not. Anything else, except possibly being time poor (which IME most people over-exaggerate and there is evidence that, in fact, time poor people are actually better exercisers because they actually schedule time in for it - unfortunately I cannot find the study right now), is just an excuse.

I do not have a problem with fat people, just people who are fat/unfit and wish they were not while not doing anything about it, or worse whinging about it, about how society should be different, that life is unfair, they should have respect for their choices etc.
No, some people don't use this as an excuse, it is simply because they don't have that much money, perhaps they don't have the education (which sometimes is afforded through finance) to understand or perhaps they weren't taught.

Unfortuantly it isn't as simple as saying to people, go forth and find the information yourself. The majority of people don't have the skills to look for this information by themselves. Take for instance the new girl who started in my office and constantly asked me for a collegues phone number... the phone list is printed in front of her, it's available on the intranet. The reason for her not being able to find the information is not because she is stupid(she isn't), she has a degree in accounting and does her job well, she just thinks differently to others.

Your economical structure that you have for your household is different to someone who is living on a parenting payment or a disability payment or as a payment for a student, the poor often miss out because they can't afford things.

Good for you on your minimalistic food for breakfast and lunch; I wouldn't wish tofu on anyone, same with Quinoa!

skull

Postby skull » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:28 pm

I love seeing articles about plus size models. It seems to make the fatties justify being fat. Unfortunately for the fatties they are short and a plus size, where as the plus size models might be size 12 or so but are rather tall. Thus in proportion unlike the fatties.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Fresh food is pretty expensive... it's not an excuse. I don't want to add up what I eat in a week :shock: . Fresh is tasty but it hits the wallet.

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:28 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Fresh food is pretty expensive... it's not an excuse. I don't want to add up what I eat in a week :shock: . Fresh is tasty but it hits the wallet.
This is a myth. Fresh food IN SEASON is not expensive, the problem is most people have forgotten what seasonal eating is and expect to have strawberries and tomatoes in the middle of winter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Fresh food is pretty expensive... it's not an excuse. I don't want to add up what I eat in a week :shock: . Fresh is tasty but it hits the wallet.
Everything is expensive there in Euroland! :P

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:43 pm

matagi wrote:
This is a myth. Fresh food IN SEASON is not expensive, the problem is most people have forgotten what seasonal eating is and expect to have strawberries and tomatoes in the middle of winter.
A myth huh ... I could have some oats and milk for breakfast for a euro or so. But I have a kilo of bananas €1.50, frozen fruit ... 200 grams is about €1, glass worth of fresh OJ €1, some dates €1 and maybe half a melon etc. So about €5 for breakfast, I will have that twice in a morning.
For lunch I would have 500 grams of fresh spinach €3, 500g tomatoes €1, 1 lettuce €1.50 and maybe an avocado €1.50 ... I could down two lots of that in an afternoon... plus a couple more bananas.
Dinner... well you get the picture.
In season... sorry the season is very short here!... winter was 7 months long last season :evil: .
sogood wrote:Everything is expensive there in Euroland! :P
You better believe it!

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You better believe it!
Don't have to. I know it too.