Sleeping mats

rifraf

Re: Sleeping mats

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:47 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I finally make up my mind to try an Exped Synmat 7 UL LW and nobody appears to have any locally. :shock:
Mainpeak have suggested a shipment close to the end of Nov (if I understood correctly), I'm hopeful someone will have them in Xmas sales. :)
You probably don't really need an LW. It is huge, and more expensive too. Just get an M or MW.

You can compare sizes easily on the Exped site.

With the price difference you can probably get a pillow pump. :)
Hi RonK

Is this the pillow pump you refer too?:
http://www.hiking.com.au/p/exped-pillow ... XP32205176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know if these guys are recommended to buy from? (Anyone)

They appear to have both in stock currently (synmat 7 UL M and pillow pump)

Cheers
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, that's the pillow pump.

I've had no dealings with that site, but it looks legit.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 pm

One for the ultra-light brigade :shock:

http://www.procamping.co.uk/klymit-iner ... eping-pad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:24 pm

RonK wrote: I've had no dealings with that site, but it looks legit.
Well they lost my sale by having both their phone numbers (1800 303 353, 02 9982 9930) coming up as unconnected when I try to ring to confirm stock levels. :?
No probs as the Xmas sales arnt far away and someone will be having a special. :idea:
The Aussie prices, when theres availability, seem very much on par with overseas so I'll likely buy local. 8)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:10 am

rifraf wrote:Do you know if these guys are recommended to buy from? (Anyone)
Check out http://www.bivouac.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://mainpeak.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; prices. They have been good for me in the past.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:24 am

Aushiker wrote:
Check out http://www.bivouac.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://mainpeak.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; prices. They have been good for me in the past.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
no stock at Mainpeak after ringing head office.
Bivouac dearer than hiking.com
Thanks for the suggestions though

I'm not in a panic to buy but ready to do so as have the funds ready.
By the same token I dont want to pay over the odds if I can help it.
Xmas sales are almost upon us.
My favorite is the boxing day sales.
Pretty damn hot in WA and I'm currently spending my days indoors as I dont cope with too much heat.
Its not touring weather for me.
Thinking about going back east as I find the weather here more unfriendly than NZ.
Too wet in winter/spring and too hot in summer with no easing into it.
Its jumped from low 20s of wet spring to mid 30's almost over night.
Summers hardly begun and i've had enough of it already :shock:

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 am

RifRaf,

have you tried http://www.outdooradventuregear.com.au/ ... ping-Mats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for your mat.

cheers
Eddie

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:59 pm

FXST01 wrote:RifRaf,

have you tried http://www.outdooradventuregear.com.au/ ... ping-Mats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for your mat.

cheers
Eddie
G'day Eddie,
thanks for the link.
Have you used those guys for anything before?

Cheers
Aidan

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Being new to this, I can see that choosing the right mat is really important.
My criteria is:
It must be lite
It must be compact
Has to be comfortable
Insulation isn't too important as I won't be camping below around 5degrees, realistically 10 degrees.

I love the look of the exped synmat ranges and I'm trying to choose between the following,
http://www.bushcraftequipment.com.au/st ... ynMat-7-M-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bushcraftequipment.com.au/st ... asic-7.5-M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bushcraftequipment.com.au/st ... at-UL-7-M-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bushcraftequipment.com.au/st ... c-UL-7.5-M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the idea of the UL range, but am I compromising durability?
What is the major difference between the 7's and the 7.5's besides the thickness and weight?

Cheers
Filippimini

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 pm

filippimini wrote:Insulation isn't too important as I won't be camping below around 5degrees, realistically 10 degrees.
To be realistic, the Exped mats are very comfortable, but also have outstanding insulation - almost twice that of a Thermarest mat. As a bit of a guide, since buying my Synmat 7, 3 years ago, I have not had my sleeping bag zipped up (apart from one night sleeping out of the tent in Central Australia). I now use the bag as a doona. In summer I would often just use the silk sleeping sheet, and I have had one or two very warm nights (30-32 deg) where it was a bit much even in just the sheet, and I had to open up the tent or roll up the fly.

The weight of the Exped means it really does not qualify as ultra-light. If you want ultra-light you probably can't go past the old solid closed-cell foan mat. But they're dogs to try and sleep on :(
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Sleeping mats

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 pm

The insulation rating is largely irrelevant unless you intend to sleep on ice or snow. What is important is how comfortable the mat is. The Synmat 7 UL beats any mat I've previously used hands down, and I have a collection of 'em.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 pm

My point about the insulation is that depending on climate you travel in, and personal sleeping temperature, some might find the Exped Synmat too warm. I certainly would not bother with a Downmat, unless you planned on snowcamping or travelling to Siberia.
Mandatory helmet law?

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, I ended up buying the the exped synmat UL basic 7.5. It is weighs next to nothing and is really compact. Can't wait to test it out. Only paid $87 for it, which I think is a great deal.

petie

Postby petie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 pm

I am finally in the same place as my new luxury lite cot. I am thoroughly impressed! Very comfortable on initial impressions, have yet to sleep a full night on it though. Will report back when i do. Quite light and small when packed. Did take some time to set up, but will get better with practice. I did spend an inordinate amount of time marveling at how light it was and inspecting each tension bow though...

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I just picked up a Synmat UL 7 M and a schnossel bag as a late christmas pressie.

I'm quite amazed at how light and small the package is and how warm the mat is to lie on. I reckon it would make a great to li-lo down a river too :-)

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:46 pm

filippimini wrote:Well, I ended up buying the the exped synmat UL basic 7.5. It is weighs next to nothing and is really compact. Can't wait to test it out. Only paid $87 for it, which I think is a great deal.
Was that new? Where from? Or was it second hand?

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:15 pm

I bought a couple of self inflating mattresses, last month, after spending one night on a road trip, North, on a roll out rubber insulation mat (was NOT good!!)

I went to Ray's Outdoors at Burleigh heads and started trying all the mats that were hanging up on the wall, for comfort, on the floor. I ended up settling on the thickest one (7.5cm) because I was not going to experience another night of no sleep. They weren't cheap - $149 on the shelf.

When the girl scanned the item and charged my card, the receipt came back as only $49... I was pretty tired from having basically No sleep, the night before, so I went away and had some lunch. I double checked the item description and the receipt - It was all correct (except the price I was charged) - So, I went back to the store .......

I bought another one. $49 again...... I guess some numpty had entered the scan price incorrectly??

They are very comfortable BTW!
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

shakes

Postby shakes » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 pm

il padrone wrote:My point about the insulation is that depending on climate you travel in, and personal sleeping temperature, some might find the Exped Synmat too warm. I certainly would not bother with a Downmat, unless you planned on snowcamping or travelling to Siberia.
That was my reasoning for the synmat over the downmat. - I'd be lucky to spend 2 nights on the snow in the next 2 years. If it does happen I can borrow one from somewhere. Most of my riding is around the hill's near melbourne. low single digits isn't uncommon but below 0° is.

Having spent a couple of dozen nights on my synmat. I'm enjoying it more and more. When I first got it, it felt extremely narrow and I had trouble with a good nights sleep on it. Not sure whats changed other than use but sleep as good as at home now.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

For cold touring I take a therma rest. For summer touring I just kick the sand around or find some pine needles and pick out the burried pine cones and roll the bivvy out on the ground.
Vegan since 2001.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 pm

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
no stock at Mainpeak after ringing head office.
Bivouac dearer than hiking.com
Thanks for the suggestions though

I'm not in a panic to buy but ready to do so as have the funds ready.
By the same token I dont want to pay over the odds if I can help it.
Xmas sales are almost upon us.
My favorite is the boxing day sales.
Pretty damn hot in WA and I'm currently spending my days indoors as I dont cope with too much heat.
Its not touring weather for me.
Thinking about going back east as I find the weather here more unfriendly than NZ.
Too wet in winter/spring and too hot in summer with no easing into it.
Its jumped from low 20s of wet spring to mid 30's almost over night.
Summers hardly begun and i've had enough of it already :shock:
Still no stock at Mainpeak and no date for replenishment.
Suggests to me some sort of problem somewhere.
I had planned to put off my purchase due to their service reputation and reports of regular Exped specials from Mainpeak but they have passed the point of my interest.
I mean how long would a warranty return take at this rate.
I've read lots of good reports about them so I'm not trying to detract from that but to my view they've had amply opportunity to cater to my custom and its time for me to move on....
somewhere.
The warranty return costs have me worried if as I think, here in WA, Mainpeak are the only Exped dealer.
When I say costs, I'm referring to postage and this is less a concern than the time to receive any replacement which as everyone knows is unlikely to happen at an opportune time but likely during a tour when its needed that night to sleep on.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 pm

rifraf wrote:Still no stock at Mainpeak and no date for replenishment.
Suggests to me some sort of problem somewhere.
I was under the impression that Mainpeak where bringing in their Exped stock directly, rather than through the local distributor hence the lower pricing. Maybe that channel has had the plug pulled on it.

As to warranty service. Mainpeak where really great getting a new mat to me in Geraldton whilst I was on the road and without seeing the faulty one.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Knowing you buy some stuff from Bivouac Andrew, I checked their site.
They have some Exped mats on special currently as well as free shipping for purchases over $99 so I bit the bullet.
I ordered a Synmat 7 UL in medium for $114.51 Au. according to my online bank statement.
They dont appear to stock the pump pillow so I'll look closer afield for that.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:14 pm

rifraf wrote:Knowing you buy some stuff from Bivouac Andrew, I checked their site.
Should be good but the pricing now the exchange rate has gone sooo much in New Zealand's favour means that their competitiveness will have declined significantly. Still your price does not sound to bad.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Just got an email from Bivouac with a tracking number from Fedex.
I'm hoping they arent like some of the others which try to hit you with a fee once in Aussie.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Looking into the Exped Pump Pillow and got a surprise at local delivery.

K2 Basecamp seem to want $39.99 for the pillow and $20 delivery although if you spend over $69 your purchase is frieght free.

Hiking.com.au appear to be $34.95 with $8.87 regular shipping

Summitgear.com.au offer $34.95 with the choice of $8.95 Auspost regular parcel or
$11.55 for Express Parcels

Outdooradventuregear.com.au suggest $34.95 and have free Regular Parcel Post delivery within Australia for orders over $50.00 which seems pretty good a deal and one I probably would have gone for over Bivouac but had misplaced the website in my favorites.