The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

singlespeedscott

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:04 am

Smithstreet wrote:So something like this then?

http://www.strava.com/routes/90680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an impressive ride. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be riding on the Dag highway though. I'd be looking for some more interesting side roads be they sealed or not.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:36 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:So something like this then?

http://www.strava.com/routes/90680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an impressive ride. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be riding on the Dag highway though. I'd be looking for some more interesting side roads be they sealed or not.
Yeah, I'm hearing ya'. Trouble is, there isn't anything on the Nth side of Dag Hwy from Moore across to Kilcoy. Well there is, but they don't seem to link up.
There is a couple of options on the Southern side of it though, Gregors Ck Rd for example, but it would probably take it up over 200 by a fair bit. Might map something to see if its a goer.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 am

:lol:

I quite like the Dag, and I've not been to Yarraman before, which is easily enough to interest me. As far as water if we take the Linville route, there should be a good amount of water around after the rain we've had lately, growing up on a farm i'm comfortable drinking from sources other than a tap :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:02 am

ldrcycles wrote:
RonK wrote: Years ago I lived on a farm on Johnstown Road, not far from Elginvale, and travelled along that road often as we had a grazing lease on the Elginvale State Forest. It was a long time ago, but as I recall the roads would be ok for cycling, although perhaps a bit stoney in some places.

It's not actually necessary to go into Nanango - at the top of the hill soon after the junction with Johnstown Road you can turn down the Brisbane River road (the very headwaters of the river) through the Nanango State Forest and Mt Stanley to Linville and Moore thence back to Kilcoy. It's a bit shorter and much more interesting than the Burnett Highway.

Ooh now that is some very interesting stuff! I was just thinking yesterday that I really want to have a stickybeak around Linville. I hadn't seen any roads besides Linville Rd, and that apparently ending about 10k north of Linville, it seems I hadn't zoomed in far enough. Google Maps shows a Linville Forestry Rd and Western Branch Rd taking the route you mention. Would you have any idea how that road would compare to Sunday Creek Rd that goes from just south of Jimna through to Little Yabba Creek? I drove that a while ago and I wouldn't want to try it on a road bike as it was extremely rocky.
Talking about this got me curious, so I've spent some time looking over these roads on Google. And the road appears to be sealed now from Manumbar back into Nanango.

Jimna will be the last shop until Linville. You will probably be able to get water at the Manumbar campdraft grounds and the Elgin Vale School or the heritage listed mill, the last remaining steam powered mill to operate in Queensland. Once on the Linville via Mt Stanley road there will be plenty of water - the road crosses the west branch of the Brisbane River about 20 times, which is what I think makes such an interesting route. There may be a tank at the Nanango forestry camp, if it is still there. Oh, and since you are following the river, it's pretty much downhill all the way.

Have a read through this crazyguy journal and check out the photos. Graham Knight, the farmer mentioned in the journal was one of my neighbours, and I recall assisting him to construct a grain silo for pig feed on his farm, which is the one on the big bend just after Elgin Vale Mill.

I towed a horse float to Sunday Creek once, but don't remember the road, apart from a vague idea that it was rough. But it can't have been too bad or we wouldn't have been there with the float. The Linville via Mt Stanley road as I recall was good enough to drive comfortably at 60kph, so can't have been too rough, but it may be a bit stoney in places.

I don't think the section of the D'Aquilar Highway between Moore and Kilkoy will bother you too much. It's fairly wide and open. Just outside Kilcoy you'll pass the cemetery, and I recall we always joked that people who live in Kilcoy aren't allowed to be buried there ('cos they have to be dead), and of course you must keep an eye out for yowies.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 am

winstonw wrote:Why do I think of Banjo's and squealing pigs when someone mentions that area?
Yep - they're just waiting to bugger unsuspecting deer hunters and city slicker cyclists... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 am

Hopefully you don't get a flat out there.....

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Another option which doesn't do as much Dag Hwy at the end.

http://www.strava.com/routes/91019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless you really wanted to go into Nanango and Yarraman, I wouldn't mind doing the Brisbane River section along Western Branch Rd.

I'll know definitely tomorrow about lunchtime if I'm not working Tuesday, and can make a call about doing this ride on Tuesday if that suits.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok i'm sold, my original plan was interesting but this really sounds like a brilliant adventure. I'll take a punt on the Mercier being up to the job, with the addition of an extra bottle mount on the bars and the current 52-42 cranks being swapped for 53-39 if I can find some in the parts bin (if not I know I have a 40t biopace ring and with a 28 on the back that should be alright).

Thanks for the info and links ron, I really enjoyed reading that crazyguy journal :) .
RonK wrote:
winstonw wrote:Why do I think of Banjo's and squealing pigs when someone mentions that area?
Yep - they're just waiting to bugger unsuspecting deer hunters and city slicker cyclists... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I should be right then, not a city slicker so I can speak the dialect, if all else fails smithstreet might get eaten :lol:

I'll pm you my number so you can shoot me a text when you know availability SS.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:08 pm

just home from 277k 2100m...pretty uninspired compared to you hill dwellers - Sandgate to Gold Coast, and back...then I thought about doing my first 300k, so added some northern outskirts, but garmin was dying as was the sun and me. never mind....tomorrow is a work day.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 pm

winstonw wrote:just home from 277k 2100m...pretty uninspired compared to you hill dwellers - Sandgate to Gold Coast, and back...then I thought about doing my first 300k, so added some northern outskirts, but garmin was dying as was the sun and me. never mind....tomorrow is a work day.
Kudos

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

:shock: that would have been seriously hard going on the run south into the wind!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:24 pm

thx Dimma...my previous longest ride was 210, backed up the next day with 190. though I did that with Smith Street, so a bit of drafting. Today was 100% solo.

LDR, I left home at 430am so the headwind wasn't too fierce....very nice on the way back, which is no doubt why I felt reasonably fresh. anyway time for food. and a beer...might have to visit the local RSL...only bottlo open after 7 on Sunday!

edit:
for anyone wanting to get a few flat k's in, imho, Bris to Gold Coast via Logan Rd, service roads, and Hope Island Rd is very low traffic before 8am. Lots of riders out too. Coming back is very quiet until you get to Logan Rd, which has adequate shoulder....the traffiic lights on it are the biggest pain.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 pm

kudos

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Massive mate. Well done.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:58 pm

winstonw wrote:just home from 277k 2100m...pretty uninspired compared to you hill dwellers - Sandgate to Gold Coast, and back...then I thought about doing my first 300k, so added some northern outskirts, but garmin was dying as was the sun and me. never mind....tomorrow is a work day.
Well done mate.
We all know the feeling of a new 'longest ride' effort. It's kinda' special.

But the best part is...... planning the next BIG one! :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:18 am

Top effort Winstonw. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm

It's on! The bike is almost ready, I just need to nip round the supermarket for more food. I'll have a saddlebag full of food, a leather saddlebag on the bars along with a water bottle and then more food plus tools and spares in my jersey :) .

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 pm

sounds like you need heaps of water too. or are you gonna drink from a creek that runs by some hillbilly's paraquat laced corn crop?! :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:00 pm

congrats to SS and LDR, who finished an epic 200k north of Kilcoy today, half of which I believe was dirt.
And heaps of kudos to Lachlan who was riding an old 10speed steelie, if I understood SS right.
Look forward to a blow by blow description. SS said the scenery was brilliant, and the cows were plentful! :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:41 pm

winstonw wrote:congrats to SS and LDR, who finished an epic 200k north of Kilcoy today, half of which I believe was dirt.
And heaps of kudos to Lachlan who was riding an old 10speed steelie, if I understood SS right.
Look forward to a blow by blow description. SS said the scenery was brilliant, and the cows were plentful! :)
waiting for the Strava upload :)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Wow.. What a day!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/98411859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A big congrats to LDR for great company today, and for dragging me up that Kilcoy Murgon Rd climb. It was great to meet you and todays ride was a good test for both of us I think. I'm sure you'll agree.
Brief summary from me...
Great scenery
Challenging dirt roads (almost half of it)
Goannas
Deer
Lots of cows that like to 'race' you because you've interrupted their feeding
Jimna.. the town that time forgot
Lush green paddocks and hills
BIG grass trees, lots of them
Considerate drivers (except for one or two on the Dag Hwy on the home run)
Hitting the Linville General store at kids peak hour :shock:
AND..
the AWESOME headwind for the last 33km into Kilcoy

The carbon Chinese CX rig with 35mm Contis went like a dream, can't say the same about the legs!!

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Nice work guys, jealous of how you both spent your Tuesday compared to mine.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 pm

was tracking you via your GPS transmitter today SS. Saw you turn into Jimna, and wondered what kind of place it is. You have me curious now.
Also saw that road named "unknown". Fascinating. Bet every household out there has a Slim Dusty LP. be interesting to know how many run off the grid, or solar. must be a few still running kero lanterns and wood fires.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 am

I've been into Jimna myself. Not much happens in Jimna :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 am

Oh god the pain! That was definitely the hardest 190k I've ever done. I'll get a proper account up once my internet resets (wifey managed to use 9gig in a day :roll: ).

I can't thank smithstreet enough for his great company and for towing me when I was struggling, especially going into Linville, I had cracked big time til I got some coke and a pie into me.

There were quite a few roads that were absolutely shocking, 17kmh was flat out and on more than a few occasions I was literally seeing stars and honestly starting to worry about getting a concussion from the constant jolting about. The scenery was more than worth it though, riding down through the upper Brisbane river valley was just stunning, how many people can say they have seen the river where it is just a series of puddles.

There is NOTHING in Jimna apart from a couple of houses, public toilets and a hall out of the 1800s, it was dead quiet and quite eerie. Linville=SERIOUSLY small, young bloke at the general store counter with no shirt on didn't even look up at us from his laptop.

Oh and there actually was a bloke on the side of the road up Manumbar way with a PITCHFORK!! :lol: Seemed friendly enough though :) .

And I was on the old Mercier steely, but the gearing didn't put me at a disadvantage with 52-40 and 14-28, there were no really steep hills anywhere. I did have about an extra 4-5kilos on SS's lovely steed though :) . Anyone considering this ride I would recommend AT LEAST 35mm tyres, my beloved 27" tyres just weren't enough.

That reminds me, guess what happened just 1km from the finish? My front tyre exploded!