one metre passing rule for Queensland?

master6

one metre passing rule for Queensland?

Postby master6 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:32 am

It appears that motorists will be required to give cyclists a metre space in 60kph zones, and a metre and a half in higher speed zones.

The surprise is that this has happened in Queensland. A pleasant surprise.

Now we need to push the cause here in Tasmania.

On several rides around the Sorell area this week I have felt as if I have a target on my back.

Time to act.

I will be writing to the Premier here in Tasmania as soon as the Qld situation is clarified.

Join me.

redheeler

Re: one metre passing rule for Queensland?

Postby redheeler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 am

master6 wrote:I

On several rides around the Sorell area this week I have felt as if I have a target on my back.

Time to act.

I will be writing to the Premier here in Tasmania as soon as the Qld situation is clarified.

Join me.
I will join you master6 and sign any letter you write to our beloved state leaders to get the laws changed to protect cyclists, whether they be locals or cycling visitors.

Some drivers think it's a laugh to hoot a cyclist from behind, which I've found common on the Arthur Hwy.

And before everyone jumps on us cyclists for not paying any form of registration, most of us own at least one registered motor vehicle and hold a current drivers licence, we still contribute to state revenue.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 am

I find saying that you already rego is a poor argument. It simply comes back with the driver stating the need to pay rego on all vehicles. Like motorcycles.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 am

skull wrote:I find saying that you already rego is a poor argument. It simply comes back with the driver stating the need to pay rego on all vehicles. Like motorcycles.
Isn't the amount of rego paid highly dependant on the size/weight of the vehicle and the damage it's likely to cause to the road? Wouldn't that make the price of rego for a bicycle less than the cost of processing the rego and therefore redundant?
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

But what relevance does saying you already pay rego fir a different vehicle make? None. Do I get to drive my motorbike around unregistered because I pay registration on my car?

So can you see how that is a flawed argument as to why bikes shouldn't be registered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:19 am

BastardSheep wrote:
skull wrote:I find saying that you already rego is a poor argument. It simply comes back with the driver stating the need to pay rego on all vehicles. Like motorcycles.
Isn't the amount of rego paid highly dependant on the size/weight of the vehicle and the damage it's likely to cause to the road? Wouldn't that make the price of rego for a bicycle less than the cost of processing the rego and therefore redundant?
Yes but the better argument is that rego doesn't cover the cost of building and maintaining roads let alone the costs of congestion, pollution and deaths/injuries (the latter estimated at $27bn per year). Nearly all cyclists pay income tax or GST which is used to fund roads. Don't fall into the trap of the motorists' argument that because cyclists don't pay rego they have no right to use roads.

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 am

biker jk wrote:Yes but the better argument is that rego doesn't cover the cost of building and maintaining roads let alone the costs of congestion, pollution and deaths/injuries (the latter estimated at $27bn per year). Nearly all cyclists pay income tax or GST which is used to fund roads. Don't fall into the trap of the motorists' argument that because cyclists don't pay rego they have no right to use roads.
Agreed, it's why I don't use the "I already pay rego" argument and cringe when others do. iirc rego only pays 10-30% of road building and maintenance/upkeep, the rest comes from taxes which everyone pays, meaning everyone whether they're a driver, cyclist, etc etc has equal rights to use the road unless there's specific rules to the contrary. :)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Just musing.

Everyone knows that cars are registered and that they have the right of way on a road over an unregistered pedestrian riding a bicycle.

Hmm. Dogs are allowed to be walked on footpaths and they are registered. Hmm. So therefore pedestrians should give way to dogs because pedestrians aren't registered.

Jeez. Does that mean if this one metre rule comes in then dogs will have to give a metre clearance for walkers? Madness. How do we train dogs to understand that!

:mrgreen:

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:43 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:Jeez. Does that mean if this one metre rule comes in then dogs will have to give a metre clearance for walkers? Madness. How do we train dogs to understand that!
Ruff, ruff. Ruff ruff ruff ruff, grrruff! Ruff!

Ruff ruff.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:Just musing.

Everyone knows that cars are registered and that they have the right of way on a road over an unregistered pedestrian riding a bicycle.

Hmm. Dogs are allowed to be walked on footpaths and they are registered. Hmm. So therefore pedestrians should give way to dogs because pedestrians aren't registered.

Jeez. Does that mean if this one metre rule comes in then dogs will have to give a metre clearance for walkers? Madness. How do we train dogs to understand that!

BDD, have you taken to afternoon booze sessions in your retirement? :cry:

You had me for a moment; I was about to challenge your assertion that cars have right of way, when I re read and saw you had pedestrians riding bicycles :D :D

Your musing frightens me :?

I am still looking for the actual terms and conditions etc of this "trial" in Queensland. So far I have only seen street corner gossip about it. If anyone knows where we can view the facts, feel free to demonstrate your superior searching skills and point us in the right direction.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I heard you have had experience hurding cats... or is that the RBWR cyclists....I think training dogs to understand may be easier :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: .
Felt AR2

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 pm

You're selling dogs short.

No, no, I forgot all about BQLD. where were we?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:27 pm

We should look into an e-Petition, i'd be happy to try and set one up.

There are many arguments on both sides, i think trying to eliminate the excuses is the way to go. Such as - "bikes dont pay rego" well you know I'd be happy to pay a pro-rata rego. I'd be happy to have an ID plate. I don't know how'd you'd implement it etc, but once all the arguments run out...... hopefully we can share the road.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Petition for what?

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:58 am

Check the OP by Master before it was hijacked by out of staters! :D

Join me.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:10 am

Oh right. Sorry, I thought you meant petition in Qld, not Tassie. Coz that had apparently already been done. Thats what happens when I just wander in whenever and take a seat 8)