Tour of Bright

skull

Re: Tour of Bright

Postby skull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:26 am

Uncle Just wrote:Anyone know the reason for the disqualification of four riders in A grade?
I don't know if this is related to 4 guys being dqd.

However my wife saw an incident involving a car driving up following the race. They passed dangerously and swerved back in almost collecting a bunch and almost caused a crash. I believe thus was near the finish

Anyway the official car caught up and boxed the driver in at the top. My mrs had a bit of an eaves drop. The official was asking the driver if she was following any riders up abd if she was they will be dqd. She said no she wasn't part of the tour or knew anyone riding.

Unfortunately for her (and the riders) she was following some riders and they rode up to the car just after she tried to say she wasn't following anyone So they ended up getting their numbers taken down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 am

Uncle Just wrote:Anyone know the reason for the disqualification of four riders in A grade?
littering apparently - unloading bidons on the climb

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 am

skull wrote:Unfortunately for her (and the riders) she was following some riders and they rode up to the car just after she tried to say she wasn't following anyone So they ended up getting their numbers taken down.
i walked past the pub where they were holding the prezos on sunday arvo and overheard a heated discussion with commissaires with one of them saying 'i can only go by the numbers' - maybe related?

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 am

Well done to everyone who raced, I hope I wasn't the only one who found it pretty tough out there!

The rumours I heard about the DQs were that they were for crossing double lines, I also heard that there were fines handed out for tossing bottles, this is all second hand info though so who knows.

I saw some pretty crazy driving on the Hotham descent, cars overtaking riders on the wrong side of the road on blind corners while there were still riders heading up, I saw a couple of very close calls and heard some very colourful language from those who were almost cleaned up.
Derny Driver wrote:
jules21 wrote:
...everyone said the competition this year was a step up from years before - it's getting harder, it seems...
When I did ToB it was 4 stages in 2 days, and in May. One could argue that 3 stages in 3 days in spring / summer is relatively soft.

My last ToB was about 1998 or 9. It rained for the Saturday morning TT and was about 5 degrees in the village. The Saturday afternoon consisted of the Gaps loop, WITH the descent into Bright to the finish. Black ice on the ascent and descent of Tawonga.
Sunday morning was a loop around Porepunkah and the 23km climb up Mt Buffalo, it was snowing at the top. After coming back down we had a criterium around the shops using that back road they have the sprint eliminator on. It was drizzling and slippery and to add to the mayhem there was sprints every 10 laps for cases of alcohol (Bundaberg Rum).

Everything was always harder / better in the old days :)

Looking at the amount and quality of riders in the NSW Grand Prix this weekend, the A grade ToB was not really that strong apart form the top 10 or 15 blokes. Its a stupid time of year to have a Tour because the road season has finished. Most guys are already doing track racing.

But I take your point. Its very hard to get a placing in any grade, no matter how good you are and prepared you are.
I was reading about the early days of the race and it did sound pretty brutal... having the descent down Tawonga and a Criterium definitely would have suited me better, my descending is a lot better than my climbing and my crits aren't too bad either, but 4 stages in 2 days would have nearly killed me.

I'm not sure what I'll do next year, I'll race because the riding was really nice, but I don't know if I can fit in enough training to be competitive. I'll probably enter masters, I only did C grade because most of the guys I ride with were doing it. Maybe I'll go for the sprint jersey or something, I might actually have a chance at winning that!
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:10 am

My wife drove back down from hotham with me as a pass. There was some re education about passing cyclists. I was a little bit shocked.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:40 am

Young Cyrus Monk from Warragul CC took out GC in C Grade with not a whole lot of pre-tour training (due to school exams, etc) compared to some I've seen mentioned. At 17yo, he has a promising future, should he be chasing one in cycling.

Looking at a few of the course profiles, it is clear that anyone who finishes ToB deserves a hearty handshake - it is a tough event.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 am

macca33 wrote:Young Cyrus Monk from Warragul CC took out GC in C Grade with not a whole lot of pre-tour training (due to school exams, etc) compared to some I've seen mentioned.
cheeky little sod. in the old days someone would have put him in his place before he did that ;)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 pm

nescius wrote:..... Maybe I'll go for the sprint jersey or something, I might actually have a chance at winning that!
Looks easy on paper, but very difficult to do.
You should consider your time-trialling ability and look at exploiting that. Get yourself a second hand disc wheel and do some specific TT training. My young bloke skipped to ToB and had a go at the State Track Pursuit Titles, he went no good but I think the event suits him and we will keep working on it. Maybe something like that might be a possibility for you.

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:29 pm

macca33 wrote:Young Cyrus Monk from Warragul CC took out GC in C Grade with not a whole lot of pre-tour training (due to school exams, etc) compared to some I've seen mentioned. At 17yo, he has a promising future, should he be chasing one in cycling.

Looking at a few of the course profiles, it is clear that anyone who finishes ToB deserves a hearty handshake - it is a tough event.

cheers
Yep, well done to Cy. He is a very complete rider being able to sprint as well as he climbs. It would be interesting to see what he could do if he trained.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

ro.

Postby ro. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Its pretty rough how fast the young and lightweight guys go up the climbs! Not enough w/kg for me. I managed 7th up hotham in C, going 8 minutes quicker than last year, jumpigng to 11th in gc.

Was a fun stage, I fell off just before the false flat, but the front group weren't organised so I chased on pretty quick. There were 2 guys up the road, but no one seemed interested in working. There were 4 of us Vikings in the bunch, which was cool, so myself and a mate tried to push the pace. Typically after the ticket booth these guys climbed away again on the steeper part!

I felt pretty good though, and paced up with my clubbie. Jumped up a couple spots by the finish.

Overall ToB is great fun. After crashing out in the first stage last year, I was a lot happier to get some consistent results this time round.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:16 pm

ro. wrote:There were 4 of us Vikings in the bunch, which was cool, so myself and a mate tried to push the pace.
well done! i passed a big bunch of Vikings rolling back into Bright, in my car. there were a lot of you guys (and girls?)

ro.

Postby ro. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, a massive crew came down this year, maybe 25 or so ?

As well as a fair few other people from canberra.

Its become a bit of a club tradition, and always makes for a fun long weekend.

We certainly had some stacked numbers in Mens C, around 10 of us. I think we managed 6th, 8th, 11th, 12th. Though a lot of us aren't typically climbers, we enjoy it all the same.

NeillS

Postby NeillS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Well I entered elite C as my first race ever, with about 3 weeks of "preparation" lol!

I took my road bike which is about 8kg, no aero bars, no aero helmet and just had a go. Lost 4 mins on the TT, then was feeling great on the second stage until I suddenly cramped with 5km to go to Tawonga. Massive cramp in the calf which went on for about 5 minutes (very painful!) then both quads and both hamstrings as soon as I started to put the power down up the climb. Lost another 4 minutes up tawonga after turning up the hill with the bunch. Did a lot better up hotham, managed top 20 overall on the day and improved my best PB up the hill by six minutes which I was happy about. A great ride and a tough introduction to road racing, but I did a lot better than I had hoped and came away happy. If I can get my TT effort improved next year (62kg rider so I'll probably never do that well anyway) and climb more aggressively up the steep pinches I would love to finish top 10!